Congratulations on starting your yoga practice! We are so pleased you will be joining us for classes.
- Location: Most of our public classes are held at Breathing Space, on the 2nd Floor of 1123 Pennsylvania Ave SE, but please note the location in the class description.
- Ask for Assistance: Breathing Space is up a flight of stairs, so if you need any assistance, feel free to ring the bell for someone to come down.
- Stroller Parking: We have a cable lock for securing strollers to the fence or bicycle rack poll out front. Contact us for details or ring the bell when you arrive for assistance. Please do not leave strollers at the bottom of the stairs.
- Please be aware of classes that may be in session. We schedule 15 minutes between classes. If are early and there is a class immediately before yours, please be sure that it has concluded before entering.
Please do not hesitate to call or e-mail if you have any questions before the course.
Our main contact information is:
- telephone: (202) 599-0434
- inquiries [at] breathingspacedc [dot] com
*replace the [at] with @ and [dot] with .
We can’t wait to get started!
Tips for a Great Yoga Class
- What to wear: Please wear comfortable, stretchy clothes that are not too loose. It is important that you be comfortable but that your instructor be able to see the alignment of your joints while you are doing yoga poses. Please note that yoga is done in bare feet.
- Bring: A yoga mat and water. We have mats to loan but you may wish to invest in your own. Any other necessary yoga props will be provided for your convenience, but you may, of course, bring your own if you prefer them.
Our Tot Yoga and Little Families Yoga are an exception. We do not use mats except for final relaxation and occasional games. Feel free to leave your mat at home.
Baby Yoga and Baby & Me Yoga do use mats, but Breathing Space has enough to lend if you’d rather not carry one. Do plan to bring a small blanket to cover our mats/blankets and a small toy to use during class.
- Avoid: Wearing strong scents such as perfumes, deodorants, essential oils, or cologne. Please ensure that your mat, clothes, and body are odor-free to help maintain the purity of the practice space and enjoyment for everyone.
- Get there early: Please arrive 10-15 minutes early on your first day to fill out our participant questionnaire (if you have not done so in advance) and other forms, get changed if needed, and settle in. Children especially.
- Please turn your cell phone off. Even a vibrate setting can be disruptive during quiet moments in class.
- Communicate: If you have any injuries or limitations, please notify your instructor before class begins so they can help you stay safe.
For families with children:
- Let Go of Expectations: We don’t expect full participation by children, and sometimes hardly any on the first day. Some children will be most comfortable observing and some might even wander the room and appear not to be participating. This is all developmentally appropriate and totally fine. Yes, try to engage your child in class, but feel free to simply relax and enjoy your child however they choose to participate.
- Parent Participation: Parents should plan to fully participate in family and early childhood classes. The more yoga you do, the more your child will do (even if not until you get home). One adult must be present for Family Yoga and any class for children younger than 3 years. Up to two adults are welcome to participate these classes on weekly basis and the same adult need not be present every time.Kids and Tween Yoga classes not described as family classes are for the children only. Due to limited studio space, family members and friends are asked not to observe these classes. However, parents and siblings are welcome to wait in our playroom (ask for the password if you would like to access our WIFI).
- Eating/Drinking: Please bring only water or milk/formula in closed top containers into the yoga classroom. Breastfeeding is always welcome.
- Things to leave at home: Toys, stuffed friends, and even lovies (if at all possible). Very special friends can watch class from the windowsill if necessary, but toys of any kind just cause conflict in class.
- Teens in Adult Classes: Teens (mature 12+) are welcome in our adult yoga classes. Teens 15 and younger must be accompanied by a registered adult participant. Children under 12 are not permitted in these classes.
Questions about make-ups, drop-ins, refunds, or other policies? See our class policies page, or contact us with any questions.