Our summer camp provides children with a fun, creative, educational and enriching experience through yoga movement classes, mindfulness activities, relaxation, games, crafts, field trips and outdoor time.
We offer a non-competitive and supportive environment where kids can learn to work cooperatively as well as learn to care for and nurture themselves. Each week-long camp is sure to create lasting memories, new friendships, and a foundation for health and well-being!
Watch Camp Highlights
Summer 2017 Highlights
This summer we are planning 9 weeks of kids yoga camp! Highlights:
- We’ll repeat some of our most popular themes and do lots of new things.
- Camp is very active, including at least one full yoga class each day, out door time, field trips and lots of walking.
- We will not hold camp the weeks of July 5 or 12.
- 5 weeks of camp will be open to a limited number of rising PK4 campers*: June 19, June 26, Aug 7, 14 & 21. PK4 campers will be offered rest or quiet time in the afternoons. For camps enrolling PK4-4th, younger and older campers may be separated for some activities and field trips.
- All camp weeks will accommodate rising K-4th. (There will not be a designated nap time for camps enrolling only K+)
- For 2 weeks, we’ll host camps just for older elementary students, American Yogi Warrior (obstacle courses!) for 2nd-5th grades – August 7 – and Girl Power camp for 3rd-5th graders – August 14.
- We are back at Christ Church this summer for almost all of our camps, except June 19, which is at Capitol Hill Presbyterian Church.
- Registration opens January 15 at 10 am. Early bird registration ($25 discount) ends Feb 28. Discount applies automatically. Discounts do not combine.
*Rising PK4 summer campers must be turning 4 by Sept 30, be fully bathroom independent, and have enough stamina to walk to public transportation for outings.
- ROY G BIV (PK4-1st Gr) – A week of colors. Whether breathing through the Chakras, or looking through prisms, we’ll be exploring a rainbow of colors with yoga, breath, and crafts. Campers will do outdoor time at nearby playgrounds or water play at Canal or Yards Park daily. [as of 8/10: 2 spots available for rising 1st graders or late birthday Kindergarteners]
- Girl Power Create! (2nd-5th Gr Girls) – This special camp for girls entering 2nd-5th grade will focus on creativity and expression. We’ll explore different media for arts & crafts: sculpting, painting, and tie dye are the current plans. In addition to playgrounds and water play outings, the girls will do a guided tour/program at the Museum of Women in the Arts. [as of 8/10: 2 spots available]
During senses and science week, younger campers will focus on how we use our senses to experience our world while older campers will explore more deeply into the yoga and anatomy.
• Senses (PK/K) camp will explore sight, sound, touch, smell and taste. A 3, 4 or 5 day registration option is available for this early-childhood transition week camp.
• Yoga, Body and Science (1st-4th Gr) is a week geared to the ultimate inward journey, literally. We’ll explore human physiology and how the body really works with yoga, understanding the physical connection of the mind, body, and breath. In addition to yoga classes and outdoor time, we’ll be exploring all different kinds of age-appropriate anatomy-related science experiments.
Who: Our camps are intimate compared to many. We cap most weeks at 18 campers and maintain a minimum 6:1 camper:staff ratio. Our PreK registration accommodates 6-8 campers most weeks; 10 during Early Childhood Transition Week. Both groups operate as one camp.
Age Ranges: We follow DCPS age guidelines for grade assignment. PK4 campers must be 4 years old by Sept 30, 2017 to be eligible.
Younger Siblings: We allow a limited number of younger siblings from one grade below the stated range. Rising PK3 siblings may only attend during weeks open to PK4. Please contact us before enrolling out-of-age-range siblings.
Rising 6th-8th graders are invited to participate while building leadership skills by helping younger campers: apply to be Counselors in Training (CITs) and register at a 50% discount. Teens 15 years or older are welcome to apply for paid positions with camp.
Where? Summer 2017 camps are at Christ Church, except for the week of June 19-23, which is at Capitol Hill Presbyterian Church
• 8:30 am-4 pm – Yoga Camp,
• 4-5:45 pm – Aftercare with Games Club class by Labyrinth Games & Puzzles
Campers not staying for games should be picked up between 3:45-4 pm so we can start snack promptly at 4 pm. Thanks.
Extended day $75 – Campers are welcome to join extended day with Games Club with Labyrinth from 4 pm – 5:45 pm. Camps meeting at Capitol Hill Presbyterian Church are welcome to do so as well. Staff will walk them to games and pickup would be at Breathing Space.
Waitlist: Each camp week has a waitlist in the registration system.
Sample Camp Day
- 8:30 – Drop-off and free play
- 9:30 am – Morning snack
- 10 am – Morning Yoga class and/or themed activity
- 11:30 am – Outside time – walk/bus to park, playground for lunch and free time
- 2 pm – Yoga class or themed activity (K+) or stories and rest time (PK4)
- 3:30 pm – Closing circle
- 3:30-4 pm – Freeplay and pickup for campers not staying for games
- 4 pm – Afternoon snack
- 4:30 pm – Games Club
- 5:30-5:45 pm – Pickup
Camp schedule varies depending on activities of the day. Most field trips will be Tuesday-Friday. Occasionally we will need to depart for a trip by 9 or 9:30 am and be gone through lunch, meaning our main yoga class those days will happen in the afternoon. Water play days – typically Yards Park or Canal Park – mean an extended outdoor/lunch time and a shorter, very low key afternoon yoga time.
Please note that yoga camp doesn’t allow for half-day pickup and is not appropriate for campers not up for significant walking and activity during the day. All our outing destinations are reached by public transportation and/or walking.
Campers must be capable of carrying their own backpacks and/or lunches. Please pack accordingly.