Kids Yoga Summer Camp – Capitol Hill
Breathing Space summer camp provides children with a fun, creative, educational, and enriching experience through yoga movement classes, mindfulness activities, relaxation, games, crafts, field trips and outdoor time. Each week-long camp is sure to create lasting memories, new friendships, and a foundation for health and well-being!
Why Yoga Camp?
Yoga and mindfulness can help children build self-regulatory skills, resilience, social awareness, and confidence, as well as strength and fitness. Through yoga, children learn techniques for concentrating, reducing stress, and connecting to their bodies in a loving way while having fun.
Breathing Space Kids Yoga Camp takes the lessons we learn in our yoga and mindfulness practice and expand on them to a full week of activities. Of course we do lots of yoga and yoga games, but that’s not all.
- We’ll do arts and crafts or themed activities every day.
- We typically do at least one theme-based outing every week.
- Unless weather is terrible, we’ll walk to a nearby playground for lunch and outdoor time daily.
- We will have some form of quiet relaxation time every day for both nappers and non-nappers.
- We work a lot of free-play time into our camp between organized activities as well.
Camper Ages and Enrollment
Our camps are intimate compared to many. We cap most weeks at 18 campers and maintain a minimum 6:1 camper:staff ratio. Our campers and counselors get to know each other and make lasting friendships.
Our PreK (PK4) registration accommodates 6-8 campers on weeks open to 4-year-olds. Both groups operate as one camp unless noted.
See FAQs for our age policies, including younger sibling enrollment.
Camp Location & Hours
Summer 2018 camps are at Christ Church, 620 G Street SE in the parish hall.
Campers not staying for games should be picked up between 3:45-4 pm so we can start snack promptly at 4 pm. Thanks.
Extended day $18 per day - - Campers are welcome to join extended day with Games Club with Labyrinth until 5:45 pm. We offer a snack (air popped popcorn) before games club and campers are welcome to eat anything left from their packed lunch at that time if they like.
Registration: Camp Dates & Themes
June 18 – DC Adventurer – K-3rd
Campers will explore the community in which we live and many of the fun, fabulous and things to do in and around our city. Register: K-3rd
June 25 – Long Ago & Far Way – PK-2nd
Knights, princesses, wicked witches, noble heroes and evil villains pervade this week as we explore yogic qualities in ourselves through classic children’s stories and fantasy. (Limited PK registration) Register: PK, K-2nd
June 25 – Girl Power – 3rd-6th
We’ll explore things our campers care about and how they can make a difference in their world. Girls will share yoga, art, creative activities and relaxation. Register: 3rd-6th Girls
July 23 – If Harry Potter Were A Yogi – 2nd-5th
In this fun-filled week of fantasy, broomsticks, potions and more, campers will explore the themes in the Harry Potter book series. Register: 2nd-5th
July 30 – Superhero Me – K-3rd
Campers are invited to find their own superhero qualities as we explore classic stories and real-life heroes in our world. Register: K-3rd
Aug 6 – Colors – K-3rd
With topics ranging from prisms to chakras, campers will explore a rainbow of colors with yoga, breath, and crafts. Register: K-3rd
Aug 6 – Mindful Movement Masters – 2nd-5th Boys
This week will be all about the guys – 7-10 yr old boys. We’ll do balancing and strengthening poses, mindfulness and relaxation, art and creative expression, and outings. Just like our Girl Power camp, expect a questionnaire in May so we can get a to know your camper and further customize the week to match his interests. Register: 2nd-5th Boys
Need more details?
- Classes are offered in multi-class sessions requiring registration. No drop-ins permitted in kids and family classes for crawling tots or older children.
- Please register the child participant in all kids and family classes.
- One adult must be present for any class described as family yoga or for children under 4 years old: Family Yoga, Preschooler Yoga, Tot Yoga, etc. Up to two adults are welcome to participate these classes on weekly basis and the same adult need not be present every time.
- In order to create a safe space for the children and because of limited studio space, we request that students not bring observers to class. If grandparents or other special guests wish to see class, please encourage them to participate.
Kids and tweens yoga classes not described as family classes are for the children only. Due to limited studio space and to respect the students, family members and friends are asked not to observe these classes. Many of our venues are near cafes and shops.
Course material is cumulative so drop-ins are not allowed. Families that miss a class are welcome to do an appropriate drop-in in another postnatal class as a makeup or attend the same week in a subsequent series.
Please pay for your drop-in class or class pass in advance. Several of our class venues have limited point-of-sale options and instructors do not accept cash. Our registration site is mobile friendly and accepts drop-in payments right up until class starts.
- Single classes must be used within 30 days of purchase.
- Flex-passes (10-class) expire 6 months from date of purchase and all classes must be attended by that date.
- Membership auto renew monthly and are valid in any prenatal or postnatal class.
Reservations are recommended, but not required for most drop-in classes. If you signed up but plans have changed, you can cancel your reservation until 15 minutes before class start time by sending a simple email to email@example.com Reservations that are not used and not cancelled are deducted from your class pass. Students who do not arrive on time for class my have their spot given to a waitlist or walk-in student.
Series Registration in Baby & Me Yoga
- Baby & Me students also have the option of signing up for a 6-8 week series of consecutive classes at the same discount as a 10-class flex pass. Makeup policies apply to this offer.
Children’s and family yoga (crawling babies to teen) is offered in multi-class series, like semesters, no drop-ins.
- Prices for series are a based on a $18 per visit rate and vary depending length of the series, with a per visit discount for series longer than 10 weeks. For example:
- 7 week series = $126
- 10 week series = $180
- 12 week series = $192
Up to two (2) caregivers may attend family classes with the registered child. The same adult need not attend every week.
Siblings must be enrolled with the exception of non-walking infants or siblings on school-closed days.
Should you need to miss a class in your session, we have a very flexible makeup policy.
- Pay by the class: Single class drop-ins for prenatal or postnatal classes cost $20 + 0.0575% sales tax of $1.15 = $21.15. Single class is good for 90 days from date of purchase.
- Multi-class flex-passes: When students commit to take 10 classes, they are eligible for a per class discounts. At $18 per class, a 10-class flex pass costs $180 + 0.0575% sales tax of $10.35 = $190.35. Valid for 6 months from purchase in any prenatal or postnatal class, including Baby & Me.
- Baby & Me Series registration:
- Parents can also commit to a series of 6-8 consecutive classes for the same discount as the 10-class flex pass. For example, 5 classes is $90 + $5.18 tax = $95.18.
- Series registration is available for the first 1/3 of the series only. After that point, students may still drop in, but discounted registration is not available. Series makeup policies apply.
- Unlimited Prenatal/Postnatal Membership: At $75 per month with a minimum 3-month commitment, membership offers the cheapest per class price. A membership pass is valid in any weekly prenatal or postnatal yoga class, including Baby & Me Yoga. Membership auto-renews until cancelled with at least 15 days notice.Memberships may be frozen for 6 weeks upon birth of a baby. Simply notify us and freeze will be effective from baby’s birthdate.
- All prices at checkout include 5.75% fitness tax.
The following discounts apply to full series registration of multi-week classes only:
- Siblings – Siblings registering for the same class are eligible for a 50% discount after the first registration. See individual class descriptions for policies about younger and older siblings outside the stated class age range. All siblings older than 1 year must register for class.
- Long series – When series are longer than 10 weeks, we offer a per class discount. Final price is posted. No code required.
- Non-profit/fixed income/teachers/military discount – We offer a 10 percent discount to non-profit employees, military families, or persons on a fixed income if it makes attendance possible. Please contact us for the code.
Discounts codes do not combine. The registration system automatically applies the largest possible discount. Staff are unable to retroactively add discounts.
Our children’s and family classes and some special topics are offered in multi-week series with students committing to multiple consecutive classes. There are lots of benefits to committing to a weekly class but we understand that modern life is busy and sometimes unpredictable. If you must miss a class, you have three options to make it up:
- Any family member may take any other appropriate class within 4 weeks of the scheduled series, even in advance – this means the same class on a alternate day or something different;
- If there is space in your class, you may bring a friend as your make-up class (instead of option 1). Please confirm space availability with your instructor.
How do I reserve a makeup class? No advanced registration is required to take a make-up class but it an RSVP always appreciated. Simply email to let us know you are coming.
I really am only able to attend a couple classes, can I drop-in? For adult or parent & pre-crawler classes, yes. That means Prenatal Yoga, Postnatal Yoga, Baby & Me Yoga. We do not allow drop-ins for any class focused on children crawling or older.
Student cancellations are subject to our refund policies for classes, camps, or workshops respectively.
What if Breathing space cancels?
In the event that Breathing Space Family Yoga cancels a class session or event before it starts, full refunds will be issued. If a session is cancelled due to low enrollment or other reason after it has begun, prorated refunds will be issued.
Inclement Weather Policy
We will make every effort to hold class as scheduled, even during inclement weather. If our class venue is open and an instructor can safely get there, we will very likely hold class.
Cancellations and updates will be posted on Facebook and Twitter as soon as a decision is made, normally 2 hours before class. Registered students will be notified of cancellations by email. If the cancelled class cannot be rescheduled, credits will be issued to all registered students.
Withdrawals requested in writing will be processed and refunded as follows:
- More Than 7 Days Before Series Start: Refund issued in full minus the $5 processing fee. Fee waived when applying balance to another registration.
- More Than 48 Hours Before Series Start: Refund issued in at the No Risk Refund Policy rate or 80% minus $5 processing fee, whichever is greater.
- After The Series Start but More Than 48 hours Before the Halfway Point: Refunds will be prorated for the classes that have passed in the session, not the ones you have actually attended, and issued minus a $5 processing fee. Fee waived when applying the balance to a future registration.
- No refunds issued beyond the halfway point in a series.
- Unused multi-class passes are refundable for 30 days from purchase date.
- Used passes are not refundable.
About Pass Expirations
Multi-class passes are offered at a discount of $2 per class. This is an agreement with us and with yourself that you will attend 10 classes within 6 months. Because we understand that life is unpredictable, unexpired passes may be extended for an additional 6 months for a $20 fee (effectively forgoing the discount). Passes that expired more than 90 days prior may also be extended but may be subject to additional fees if our prices have increased since your pass was purchased.
Single Date Non-Camp Workshops
- More Than 7 Days Before Session/Event: Refund or credit issued in full minus a $5 or 4% processing fee (whichever is larger).
- More Than 48 Hours Before Session/Event: Refund issued in at 80% minus $5 processing fee.
- No refunds within 48 hours of an event.
Because your reservation represents a space in class or camp that was held for you and not available for purchase by other students, there are no refunds issued after the dates listed above. Under extraordinary circumstances, we will suspend registration to be used in a later session.
For safety and consideration of your fellow students and comfort of your child, please do not bring sick children to class or camp.
Please keep your child(ren) home from class if they are experiencing any of the following: Fever, vomiting, an unexplained rash, diarrhea, conjunctivitis, mouth sores (especially in the oral-staged children), persistent and frequent cough that interferes with your child’s class involvement or poses a risk to others, extremely runny nose, or any other contagious illness.
Please note that older children too sick to attend school should not be tagging along to yoga class.
We have a very liberal make-up policy so please take advantage of that if your child (or you) is ill.
Unfortunately it is not possible to do a makeup from camp. See our camp policies for more details.
School Year / Day-off Camp
Registration may be credited to a future camp or refunded (minus $10 processing fee) until 14 days before a scheduled camp.
Within 14 days of a camp day, refunds/credits are only available if a waitlisted camper takes the spot (processing fee still applies) Camps often sell out well in advance. The further in advance you tell us about your camper’s change of plans, the more likely it is that we fill your spot.
Registrations cancelled before May 31 will be issued minus the $100 non-refundable portion of tuition or switched to any other available week at no charge.
Refunds will only be issued after May 31 if a waitlisted camper takes the available spot, but switching weeks is still be option, space permitting.
Because your reservation represents a space in camp that was held for you and not available for purchase by other students, there are no refunds issued after the dates listed above. Under extraordinary circumstances, we will suspend registration to be used in a later session.
See Refund FAQs for more information.
Refunds will be issued to the credit card used for payment or as a check mailed to the address on your account profile within 30 days of refund request receipt. If your refund is dependent on another participant taking your spot and the spot isn’t immediately filled, refunds will be issued within 30 days of the scheduled program start date rather than request receipt.
We sometimes fill cancelled spots, but sometimes don’t. When we hit our refund deadlines, the vast majority of possible participants – even those who put themselves on our waitlists – have made other plans and filling vacant spots can be challenging. At that point we are counting on our registration numbers to cover our costs. If we allowed last minute refunds, we’d have to raise the price of camps and classes for everyone to compensate.
Managing changes to class and camp rosters, waitlists and refunds actually takes up a lot of staff time. While we understand that life isn’t always predictable, we don’t want clients registering to “hold their spot” while they firm up plans. Processing fees discourage this and compensate us for staff time.
We put our Federal Employer Identification Number (EIN) on all our receipts, so check there. The receipt may be all you need for reimbursement. If you can’t locate your receipt. Please send a request by email.
If you need forms signed, you can personally get them signed by any of our lead instructors on the day of camp or you can leave them with a pre-addressed stamped envelope for return.
If you will attend a subsequent camp or class, it may be possible to have them left for you to pick up. Unfortunately, we can’t arrange pickup times for forms outside of camp/class times because we are only open when programming occurs.
If you need to mail your forms for signature, please send them with a with a stamped envelope for return to: Breathing Space, 713 14th Street SE, Washington DC 20003
Please do not email forms.
We often here from parents that they are hesitant to enroll if they aren’t sure their child will enjoy a class. We get it. That’s why we have our:
No Risk Refund Policy – Not sure if a kids & family series class will be right for you or your child? Register and come to the first class. If you notify us in writing within 48 hours after the first class that you will not be able to continue the session, we refund all but $2o for that first class.
We are also very flexible about switching classes for students who have nap time shifts during the course of a series. For example, if your child is enrolled in an 11 am class and starts napping at that time, we’ll happily switch her into one of our 9 or 9:30 am classes instead.
Poses and activities are designed with toddlers/preschoolers in mind. While your instructor will likely be able to make suggestions, we expect adults to take care of their own bodies during class.
It’s rarely a problem. Pregnant moms often skip or modify belly-down poses and anything else that doesn’t feel right and adults with special conditions adjusting accordingly.
The biggest challenge is probably for adults who have significant difficulty getting up and down from the floor. I’ve had mobility-challenged caregivers, usually older nannies or grandparents, do very few of the poses with no problem. My suggestion is to try it and see how it goes.
Do note that several of our class venues are down a flight of stairs (strollers can be left locked outside). Our Saturday and Sunday class venues are handicap accessible.
Can I send my wife/husband/mother/grandmother/nanny/neighbor to class with my child instead of me sometimes?
Absolutely. Your child is welcome to bring any grownup they want with them to class. Up to 2 caregivers may attend class on a weekly basis. Additional visitors may attend occasionally and are encouraged to participate. Please be considerate of space constraints when bringing guests.
Can we do a trial class or drop into a Tot, Preschooler, Family, Kids or Tween Yoga class occasionally?
Nope, sorry. We don’t offer drop-in options for classes for crawling or older children or trial classes during the regular session. Children really do need the consistency of a weekly class both for comfort and so they can best learn and drop-ins can be disruptive to the class routine. Read more.
Since it often takes several classes for a child to settle in, dropping in once is not really the best indicator of whether your child will enjoy class. However, we get that it can be tough to commit to a class when you can’t imagine what happens or how your child will react, so:
- We occasionally offer trial/drop-in days, when the teacher will spend a little extra time explaining the class routine and parents get a chance to see a class in action.
- We have a no-risk refund policy. If you register for a class and decide for any reason it’s a bad fit for you, your child, or your schedule, and you decide early in the series, you can drop the class and get a prorated refund. See details.
We also understand that life is unpredictable and have a generous makeup policy for families that wish to commit to a series but know they will miss a class or two.
That may not work. There isn’t a lot to entertain big kids at baby yoga, but we have occasionally had parents bring older children, mostly when other plans for them have fallen through or school is closed. Siblings are welcome in that circumstance. We do not recommend bringing older children on a weekly basis.
If you need to bring your older child, we recommend bringing quiet toys or books and arriving a few minutes early to set up a space for your child and to set expectations. Please check in with the instructor ahead of time if possible.
If we hold class on a day that school is closed, we’ll be very flexible in our planning. If there were ever enough demand for childcare during one of our series, we would definitely consider that. If you want to take class with a toddler and infant regularly, consider attending Little Families Yoga instead or doing a makeup in that class if you decide to skip rather than attend baby yoga.
Yes. If you know you will be out of town or will miss class for any reason, feel free to take your makeup class whenever it’s convenient in the same session.
This is particularly helpful for prenatal and postnatal students who expect babies to arrive or maternity leaves to end before a session is over. Feel free come more than once a week as your schedule permits.
We allow one makeup to carry over into a different session, within a month of the original series dates, so feel free to come a couple weeks before or after your class begins or ends.
If you or your child falls into the proper age range for the desired makeup class, yes you may.
Parents of registered children may take a makeup in Prenatal or Baby & Me Yoga. Your teenager can take a makeup for your toddler and vice-versa, so long as the student attends an appropriate class. Any weekly yoga class is open to make-up students, even if they are marked FULL (though please give us a heads up in that case).