Yoga for Families & Children
What is a Family Yoga Class Like?
Breathing Space Family Yoga classes are structured so both parents and children can enjoy themselves while moving in a supportive, non-competitive environment. While many of the poses will look familiar to adult yogis, a kids class flows very differently than an adult yoga class. How?
- We incorporate lots of songs and games.
- There’s much more emphasis on social interaction.
- We use many props never found in an adult class: hula hoops, balloons, scarfs, crayons, and more.
- Many classes incorporate story telling or books.
Class themes vary according to student interests and instructor creativity. Possibilities include the following themes:
- philosophical – kindness, honesty, courage, respect, discipline, generosity;
- natural – change of seasons, growth & change, elements: water, earth, wind fire;
- life events and places – holidays, travel, a visit to the zoo, jungle safari, desert adventure.
Current and Upcoming Sessions
Our kids and family classes run in multi-week sessions, meaning students sign up consecutive weeks of classes. This commitment allows students to learn poses and build skills from week to week and helps create a safe environment for exploration and learning. No drop-ins for children’s (toddler and older) or family classes. Read more.
If students must miss a class, they are welcome to do makeups in any other appropriate class on our schedule. Alternatively, family members are welcome to take a makeup class in any appropriate series. See attendance and makeup policies.
Family Yoga Classes
Early Childhood Yoga
All our early childhood classes are taught family-style. Up to two parents may attend these class with the registered child. Preschooler Family Yoga welcomes younger siblings: walkers-21 months are half price, no charge for infants. Learn more about early childhood classes.
Family is structured like an age-appropriate kids class with an emphasis on poses and activities for parents and children to do together. Age ranges and sibling policies vary.
Early Childhood Yoga and Family Yoga classes are registered per child. No charge for up to two parents/caregivers attending.