Class Tips, Fees and Policies
How to Sign Up for Classes or Camps
Our registration site is mobile friendly and is the primary way we take payments. Most of our class venues do not have a receptionist so it’s a great help to the instructor if you take care of this yourself in advance.
Breathing Space Class and Purchase Policies
By registering for a class or camp with Breathing Space, you agree to the following policies:
Tips for New Students
Public Health and Illness
Enrollment and Attendance
Our classes are generally offered in multi-week series with students committing to multiple consecutive classes. There are lots of benefits to committing to a weekly class but we understand that modern life is busy and sometimes unpredictable. If you must miss a class, you have several options to make it up:
- Any family member may take any other appropriate weekly class during the same semester, even in advance – this means the same class on an alternate day or something different; Use our makeup scheduler. Email if you have any questions.
- If there is space in your class, you may bring a friend as your make-up class (instead of option 1). Guests need to create an account in our registration system to provide contact information and accept terms and conditions (includes our liability waiver and photo release). This is not allowed in trapeze yoga. Please confirm space availability with your instructor.
- If scheduling a makeup doesn’t work for you, you are also welcome to view selections from our video library and practice at home. You’ll find recordings in the Parent Portal of our registration site.
- Finally, continuing students may carry one class over into a subsequent session by taking a registration discount on your next series. See below.
Additional Makeup Policies by Class Type
Weekly In-Person Class Makeups (non-trapeze)
Continuing students may carry one class over into a subsequent session by taking a registration discount on your next series. Use discount code “seriesmakeup” when registering to take your credit. This works even if you are changing class type.
Note: If you are registering multiple family members who need to take the makeup credit, each student registration will need to be its own transaction.
Prenatal, Postnatal, and Baby Yoga class carry-over exception: Due to constraints of due dates and return-to-work scheduling, we allow students in these classes to take their one class carry-over in person without registering for the next series. That class must be attended within 4 weeks of the original series (or 4 weeks of classes resuming if there is a scheduled break in classes). The makeup scheduler will not work for this, just email to let us know which class you will attend.
Trapeze Yoga In-Person Makeups
Space is limited in trapeze yoga by number of rigs, however, we have two ceiling attachments that are not included in our class capacity count, so there is usually space for makeups in those spots.
Continuing students may carry one class over into a subsequent session by taking a registration discount on your next series. Use discount code “trapseriesmakeup” when registering to take your credit. (If you are switching to a mat-based class in a subsequent semester, use the “seriesmakeup” code instead.)
Infant Massage In-Person Makeups
Because instruction is progressive and space is limited, only students enrolled in infant massage may makeup in infant massage. Because the content is always covered in the same order, infant massage students who miss may make up that same class in a subsequent series – if you miss class #2, attend the next class #2. Just email to let us know.
Which class can I take as a makeup?
Anything class that is appropriate for the family member doing the makeup class. You can even send different adult family members to do the makeup class. Students may make up in any location.
For example, if you miss a baby yoga class and there isn’t another that suits your schedule, you may bring your toddler to Little Family Yoga as a make up (baby can even tag along). If you and your child miss Little Family Yoga, you and an older child may attend family yoga, you and a younger child may attend Baby Yoga & Play, or you may attend an adult class for yourself. Anytime we have a “Pop-Up” class on the schedule, that can be a makeup (pop ups must be reserved in advance).
The only multi-week classes that are restricted from makeups are trapeze classes and infant massage series. You must be enrolled in one of those classes to make up in one of them.
How do I reserve a makeup class?
Our registration system has make up reservations. Log in to the system and look for makeups in the drop down menu under classes (this option only appears for registered students). See instructions here.
I really am only able to attend a couple classes, can I drop-in?
Making Up in a Pop Up ClassOccasionally we offer “Pop Up” classes not associated with a series. Advanced reservation is required. Pop ups with insufficient registration 3 days in advance may be cancelled.
Can we do a trial class or drop into a Tot, Preschooler, Family, Kids or Tween Yoga class occasionally?
Nope, sorry. We don’t offer drop-in options for classes for crawling or older children or trial classes during the regular session.
Children really do need the consistency of a weekly class both for comfort and so they can best learn and drop-ins can be disruptive to the class routine. Read more. Since it often takes several classes for a child to settle in, dropping in once is not really the best indicator of whether your child will enjoy class.
However, we get that it can be tough to commit to a class when you can’t imagine what happens or how your child will react, so:
- We have a no-risk refund policy. If you register for a class and decide for any reason it’s a bad fit for you, your child, or your schedule, and you decide early in the series, you can drop the class and get a prorated refund. See details.
- We occasionally offer trial/drop-in days, when the teacher will spend a little extra time explaining the class routine and parents get a chance to see a class in action.
We also understand that life is unpredictable and have a generous makeup policy for families that wish to commit to a series but know they will miss a class or two.
Breathing Space does not allow single class drop-ins for family classes. Why?
Semester Commitment is Best for Both Students and the Program
We’ve written before about the benefits of committing to a weekly yoga class. Children, even more than adults, benefit from the consistency and progressive teaching enabled by full registration.
We understand that may be different from what you are used to with yoga classes. Kids yoga operates in an unusual context. While adult yoga classes are very often drop-in based, you cannot just occasionally show up to any other kind of teacher-directed children’s class. There’s no drop-in ballet, gymnastics, music, art, karate, etc. All of these programs require registration in a series of classes or monthly membership. This creates a stable class and allows lessons to build upon on each other.
Session Commitment Encourages Consistent Attendance
As a parent, there are tons of demands on my time and regularly attending a class requires commitment. Paying ahead of time gives me that sense of obligation to actually go every week. This is true for me with my own classes and it’s doubly true for me to motivate my child out of the house, even for activities she (or we both) adore.
Session Commitment Enhances the Student Experience
As a children’s instructor, I find:
- Drop-in classes are not in the best interest of the child. It often takes 3 or 4 classes for a child, especially a toddler, to feel comfortable with a new place, new people, and a new routine. Children benefit from repetition and structure. Since drop-in students tend to only show up once or twice a semester, they miss out on the full benefits of the experience.
- Drop-ins detract from the experience of the students who have committed to a full session of classes because my attention is drawn to the new student – on everything from taking payment and filling in the parent on policies, facilities, and expectations, to making the new child feel comfortable.
But . . .
There are two major objections that I hear from parents to registering for an entire session:
- That they aren’t sure if class will be right for their child. We get that. It can be hard to even imagine a toddler or preschooler yoga class if you’ve never attended one.
That’s why we offer a No Risk Refund Policy – Not sure if class will be right for you or your child? Register and come to the first class. If you notify us in writing within 24 hours of class that you will not be able to continue the session, you will pay only $20 for the class you attended. (See refund policies for more information.)
- That they have travel or other schedule obligations that prevent full attendance. We understand schedules can be tricky. We intentionally skip holiday weekends and other high-travel times and offer a very generous make-up policy. To make up a missed class:
- Any family member may take any other appropriate class during the same session – this means a similar kids class or parents can take an adult class;
- If there is space in your class, you may bring a friend as your make-up class. Please confirm space availability with your instructor.
- Classes are offered in multi-class sessions requiring registration. No drop-ins permitted in kids and family yoga class series.
- Please register the child participant in all kids and family classes.
- One adult must be present for any class described as family yoga or for children under 4 years old: Family Yoga, Preschooler Yoga, Tot Yoga, etc. Up to two adults are welcome to participate these classes on weekly basis and the same adult need not be present every time.
- In order to create a safe space for the children and because of limited studio space, we request that students not bring observers to class. If grandparents or other special guests wish to see class, please encourage them to participate.
- Occasionally we offer single-date classes, typically for older children or infants, but sometimes as a demo and not associated with a series. Registration in advance is still required for these classes and those not meeting enrollment minimum in the week leading up to class may be cancelled.
Kids and tweens yoga classes not described as family classes are for the children only. Due to limited studio space and to respect the students, family members and friends are asked not to observe these classes. Many of our venues are near cafes and shops.
Course material is cumulative so drop-ins are not allowed. Families that miss a class are welcome to do an appropriate drop-in in another postnatal class as a makeup or attend the same week in a subsequent series.
Pricing and Discounts
The following discounts apply to full series registration of multi-week classes only:
- Siblings – Siblings registering for the same class are eligible for a 50% discount after the first registration. See individual class descriptions for policies about younger and older siblings outside the stated class age range. All siblings older than 1 year must register for class.
- Long series – When series are longer than 10 weeks, we offer a per class discount. Final price is posted. No code required.
- Non-profit/fixed income/teachers/military discount – We offer a 10 percent discount to non-profit employees, military families, or persons on a fixed income if it makes attendance possible. Please contact us for the code.
Discounts codes do not combine. The registration system automatically applies the largest possible discount. Staff are unable to retroactively add discounts.
Refunds, Withdraws, Cancellations
Withdrawals requested in writing will be processed and refunded as follows:
- More Than 7 Days Before Series Start: Refund issued in full minus the $5 processing fee. Fee waived when applying balance to another registration.
- More Than 48 Hours Before Series Start: Refund issued in at the No Risk Refund Policy rate or 80% minus $5 processing fee, whichever is greater.
- After The Series Start but More Than 48 hours Before the Halfway Point: Refunds will be prorated for the classes that have passed in the session, not the ones you have actually attended, and issued minus a $5 processing fee. Fee waived when applying the balance to a future registration.
- No refunds issued beyond the halfway point in a series.