Congratulations on starting your yoga practice! We are so pleased you will be joining us for classes.
- Location: Public classes are held in a variety of venues on Capitol Hill. Please note the location in the class description when you register.
- Please be aware of classes that may be in session. We schedule 15 minutes between most classes. If are early and there is a class immediately before yours, please be sure that it has concluded before entering.
Please do not hesitate to call or e-mail if you have any questions before the course.
Our main contact information is:
- telephone: (202) 599-0434
- inquiries [at] breathingspacedc [dot] com
*replace the [at] with @ and [dot] with .
We can’t wait to get started!
Tips for a Great Yoga Class
- What to wear: Please wear comfortable, stretchy clothes that are not too loose. For prenatal and postnatal classes, it is important that you be comfortable but that your instructor be able to see the alignment of your joints while you are doing yoga poses. Please note that yoga is done in bare feet.
- Bring: A yoga mat and water. Most venues have mats to loan but you may wish to invest in your own. Any other necessary yoga props will be provided for your convenience, but you may, of course, bring your own if you prefer them.
Our Tot Yoga and Preschooler Family Yoga are an exception. We do not use mats except for final relaxation and occasional games. Feel free to leave your mat at home.
Baby Yoga & Play classes do use mats, but most venues have enough to lend if you’d rather not carry one. Do plan to bring a small blanket to cover our mats/blankets and a small toy to use during class.
- Please no shoes in the studio: Too keep floors clean, our venues request that you not enter the main classroom wearing your shoes. Please take a moment to remove them before walking in and feel free to ask for help if your hands are full.
- Avoid: Wearing strong scents such as perfumes, deodorants, essential oils, or cologne. Please ensure that your mat, clothes, and body are odor-free to help maintain the purity of the practice space and enjoyment for everyone.
- Get there early: Please arrive 10-15 minutes early on your first day to address any administrative questions and settle in. Children especially.
- Please turn your cell phone off. Even a vibrate setting can be disruptive during quiet moments in class.
- Communicate: If you have any injuries or limitations, please notify your instructor before class begins so they can help you stay safe.
For families with children:
- Let Go of Expectations: We don’t expect full participation by children, and sometimes hardly any on the first day. Some children will be most comfortable observing and some might even wander the room and appear not to be participating. This is all developmentally appropriate and totally fine. Yes, try to engage your child in class, but feel free to simply relax and enjoy your child however they choose to participate.
- Parent Participation: Parents should plan to fully participate in family and early childhood classes. The more yoga you do, the more your child will do (even if not until you get home). One adult must be present for Family Yoga and any class for children younger than 3 years. Up to two adults are welcome to participate these classes on weekly basis and the same adult need not be present every time. Kids and Tween Yoga classes not described as family classes are for the children only. Due to limited studio space, family members and friends are asked not to observe these classes.
- Stroller Parking: Most of our venues have limited indoor space. We have a cable lock for securing strollers to the fence or bicycle rack poll out front. Contact us for the lock code. Please do not leave strollers in entryways or stairwells.
- Eating/Drinking: Please bring only water or milk/formula in closed top containers into the yoga classroom. Breastfeeding is always welcome.
- Please no photos during class. Not all parents are equally comfortable with having their children photographed and phones are potentially distracting, even to toddlers who are pretty savvy about what they do. If you would like photos of your little one doing yoga, please take them before or after class or during the last two weeks of the class when the instructor suggests group photos. If one of our instructors takes photos at any time, feel free to request a copy of your child or watch for logo-ed version to turn up on our social media sites so you can re-share.
- Things to leave at home: Toys, stuffed friends, and even lovies (if at all possible). Very special friends can watch class from the windowsill if necessary, but toys of any kind just cause conflict in class.
Questions about make-ups, drop-ins, refunds, or other policies? See our class policies page, or contact us with any questions.