Breathing Space Family Yoga instructors incorporate training from many different styles and schools of yoga but all share a love for the practice and passion for sharing it with yogis of all ages.
Jen brings a sense of joy and playfulness to her classes – both the adult and kids classes – and hopes to offer her students freedom she finds in yoga. She founded Breathing Space to create hub for family yoga on Capitol Hill and share her enthusiasm for age- and developmentally-appropriate poses, games, and songs with yogis of all ages.
Like so many, Jen first came to the yoga mat because of an injury, seeking nothing more than to feel better and balance her body for running. She comes back to the mat because yoga invites her to embrace her body and mind with all its imperfections and then to look beyond them to the greater Self.
After thoroughly enjoying baby yoga classes with her daughter during maternity leave and being unable to find an Itsy Bitsy class that fit her schedule after going back to work, Jen stumbled on a listing for Itsy Bitsy Yoga facilitators training . . . and signed up. She has since trained with Budding Yogis, ChildLight Yoga, Yoga 4 Classrooms, and YoKid to offer classes to families and children of all ages. Jen’s work with children inspired her to complete adult yoga teacher training at Willow Street Yoga in 2010 and train in Prenatal Yoga with Janice Clarfield.
Jen is a Yoga Alliance® Experienced Registered Yoga Teacher (E-RTY 200) and Registered Children’s Yoga Teacher (RCTY). She is also a Certified Educator of Infant Massage (CEIM) through Infant Massage USA and an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC).
In addition to working with children and families in Washington DC, Jen is excited to teach others to share yoga and mindfulness with children through ChildLight Yoga and Yoga 4 Classrooms Professional Development Workshop.
Children’s and family yoga (crawling babies to teen) is offered in multi-class series, like semesters, no drop-ins.
- Prices for series are a based on a $18 per visit rate and vary depending length of the series, with a per visit discount for series longer than 10 weeks. For example:
- 7 week series = $126
- 10 week series = $180
- 12 week series = $192
Up to two (2) caregivers may attend family classes with the registered child. The same adult need not attend every week.
Siblings must be enrolled with the exception of non-walking infants or siblings on school-closed days.
Should you need to miss a class in your session, we have a very flexible makeup policy.
The following discounts apply to full series registration of multi-week classes only:
- Siblings – Siblings registering for the same class are eligible for a 50% discount after the first registration. See individual class descriptions for policies about younger and older siblings outside the stated class age range. All siblings older than 1 year must register for class.
- Long series – When series are longer than 10 weeks, we offer a per class discount. Final price is posted. No code required.
- Non-profit/fixed income/teachers/military discount – We offer a 10 percent discount to non-profit employees, military families, or persons on a fixed income if it makes attendance possible. Please contact us for the code.
Discounts codes do not combine. The registration system automatically applies the largest possible discount. Staff are unable to retroactively add discounts.
Our public prenatal yoga classes welcome drop-in students.
- Pay by the class, $20 per class
Simply drop in as your schedule allows. Advanced reservations are appreciated but not required.
- Multi-class flex-passes, $17 per class
When students commit to take 10 classes, they are eligible for a per class discounts. Purchase a 10-class package and then attend whenever it’s convenient for you within 6 months.
- Commit to a series, $16 per class
Our prenatal yoga classes are scheduled in 5-8 week minimesters. If you commit to all classes in a series, we offer a discount. One class may be carried over into a subsequent semester, but otherwise standard makeup policies apply.
Register for Series
- All prices at subject to 6% DC fitness tax.
Please pay for your drop-in class, class pass, or registration in advance. Several of our class venues have limited point-of-sale options and instructors do not accept cash. Our registration site is mobile friendly and accepts payments right up until class starts.
What if baby comes early and I don’t get to use all my classes? Send us a note when baby is born and we’ll transfer unused class credits to your account so you can apply the value to future registrations.
Yes, one adult can bring more than one child to class. (See below for special nanny share policies)
- Baby Yoga & Play – Yes, you can bring twins. Because so much of this class hands on we charge the same for two babies as one baby if there’s only one caregiver attending. No need to register both babies, simply put them both in your account profile, sign one up, and join us. If you are bringing two adults, you must register both children. Sibling discounts will apply.
- Tot Yoga – Yes, twins, siblings. and nanny-shares are welcome, however all children between crawling-24 months must be registered and all children present must have accounts in the system. No need to register non-mobile younger siblings or share partners. They are welcome to tag along with parent/caregiver, just note them on the registration form (and have their parents create an account for them if they are not attending with a paying sibling). Sibling discounts automatically apply.See below for nanny-share discount.
- Little Family Yoga or Toddler Family Yoga– Again, twins, younger siblings, and nanny-shares are welcome. This is the age range we most often see younger siblings. All children older than 1 year must register for class. No need to register non-mobile younger siblings or share partners. They are welcome to tag along with parent/caregiver, just note them on the registration form (and have their parents create an account for them if they are not attending with a paying sibling). Sibling discounts automatically apply.See below for nanny-share discount.
- Family Yoga – Siblings up to one year younger or older than the target age range are welcome to register for Family Yoga classes. For example, 3-year-olds are welcome in classes with the stated range of 4-8 yrs. If you have any questions about the appropriateness of class for your child, please contact us. Sibling discounts are automatic.
Please contact us with any additional questions or to discuss situations that don’t fit the above scenarios.
Nanny Share Registration
All children must be added to their own parent’s account in our registration system to attend class. Please do not add an unrelated nanny-share child to your profile. Their parents must set up an account and accept our terms & conditions.
If a nanny-share misses a class, the whole share is welcome to make up class on an alternate day or parents of the enrolled students my bring the child to do a makeup on the weekend, with or without their share partner.
Class specific policies:
- Tot, Toddler or Little Family Yoga – Families registering as part of a nanny share (one caregiver bringing multiple unrelated children) are are eligible for a 10% discount with the code NANNYSHARE10. Discounts must be taken during registration and cannot be applied retroactively.
- Baby & Me Yoga – Because so much of this class hands on we charge the same for two babies as one baby if there’s only one caregiver attending. However both families in a Nanny Share registration must create accounts and be reachable in case of emergency, so both families can use the discount code NANNYSHARE50 to take half off registration.
Breathing Space has had a chronic problem of last minute additions to camp aftercare. While accommodating one or two campers isn’t usually a problem, sometimes we get half a dozen last minute additions in the week before a camp and sometimes several on the morning of camp.
We get that life is sometimes unpredictable and last minute changes happen and want to help, but we suspect a fair amount of the last minute additions are caused by parents not being sure of their after camp plan when they sign up and then forgetting to do anything about it until days before or even the day of camp.
Last minute additions to aftercare sometimes leave us or the Labyrinth education director scrambling to add staff to aftercare or push us over our desired camper to staff ratios.
Starting in January 2019, aftercare costs $15 per day until two weeks before camp. After that, it’s $20 per day.
Breathing Space is happy to offer gift certificates, but does not have an automated system for redeeming them. Gift certificate purchases must be done in advance and cannot be redeemed in person at class.
Step 1: Create your account in our registration system. Please add any relevant family members.
Details about our classes can be found at breathingspacedc.com
Any “register” link will take you to our class registration system.
Step 2: Contact us to apply your certificate value.
Simply send an email indicating the certificate number and your name and email to email@example.com
If you include class or camp registration instructions in the email, we will set everything up and send you a confirmation. If not, we’ll send you a notice when your credit has been applied and you can
Step 3: Register online
Please contact us if you have questions.
Please note that we process credits as quickly as possible, but it may take a few days to complete your request.