Breathing Space is a family yoga and wellness program based on Capitol Hill in Washington DC. We offer classes, camps and other programs at our home studio and a variety of community partner locations.
Additional Community Locations
- Classes are most likely in Drummond Hall on the first floor. Check the info board by the reception office at the 9th Street entrance (ground floor.)
- All strollers should be parked on the ground floor, near the kitchen. There is also a bicycle rack at the top of the 9th Street driveway.
- Please plan to leave all non-valuable personal items outside or store them on the shelves in the classroom to keep the floors clear. There will be a coat rack in the hallway outside the classroom for your coats and larger bags.
- Hill Center is an easy walk from Eastern Market metro and bus stops.
- Street parking can be found on Pennsylvania Avenue or E Street. Please do not park in the very small Hill Center lot. That is reserved for loading and staff use.
- Parents and children should still wait on the ground floor for classes to start, if the room isn’t open yet. There is usually seating near the kitchen and always seating in reception.
Breathing Space Family Yoga’s studio is located at 641 Pennsylvania Ave SE (map), Lower Level. (Some families may remember this as the old Realignment Studio or Capitol Hill Yoga space.) The studio is easily reached by the Eastern Market metro stop and several buses along Pennsylvania Avenue or 8th Street St.
- All of our classes are on the lower level, down a flight of stairs.
- Both children and adults are kindly asked to remove their shoes before entering the classroom space.
- Cubbies are available in the classroom space for storing personal belongings.
- Please pack dirty diapers away with you.
- Small folding strollers are welcome inside, but please leave jogging-style or bulky strollers locked to the bike rack or otherwise secured outside. For safety reasons, strollers cannot be left in the stairway or on landings.
Breathing Space is on the south side of Pennsylvania Avenue. Look for the glass door with our lotus flower logo.
From the Eastern Market Metro: From the top of the escalator or elevator, turn around to face 7th Street SE. Cross 7th Street and walk along Pennsylvania Avenue on the same side of the street toward the Capitol.
Parking: Metered parking is available on Pennsylvania Avenue, and 2 hr parking is available on many of the nearby residential streets. There are garages underneath 660 Penn (Penn Medical) and 700 Penn (Trader Joe’s).
Please leave shoes and coats in the lobby area along with bulky non-valuables. Bring valuables – phones and wallets – into the studio space and store them on the cubby shelves. While we do lock the studio door once class begins, we cannot be responsible for missing valuables.
Please leave all toys and lovies in bags, completely out of sight. Consider leaving water bottles in your bags during toddler classes. Water bottles are shockingly distracting, both for their owner and other children. Adults and older children/teens should feel free to have their bottles with them.
There is a changing table in the right side bathroom, but diapers may be changed wherever is comfortable for you and your child. However, there is no daily trash pickup at the studio. Please pack dirty diapers away with you.
If you are running late . . .
Don’t worry. You can let us know – text: 202-544-0434.
We lock the door after the welcome song or the initial warmup. If the teacher knows you are coming, they can leave the door open for you. For kids’ classes, it is totally ok to ring the bell or knock to get the instructor’s attention if the door is locked. Be aware that you may need to wait a few minutes if the instructor is engaged in an activity.
If you are entering late, please do so as discreetly as possible. The instructor will assist you with setting up if necessary. Please make eye contact in case your instructor has laid a place for you.
Please note that the warmup in adult class serves an important safety function. If you join late, take a couple of minutes to do some gentle movements before jumping into the instructor’s sequence.
Loaner Yoga Mats
We have a number of studio mats that we can loan out. If you are using one for an adult class, we request that you wipe it down afterward. Look for the teal blue disinfecting wipes near the mats or on the white cubbies.
Families are welcome to lock strollers up out front. We provide a cable and lock (check your registration receipt or ask your instructor for the code)
Families may also bring strollers downstairs if they can be safely carried down. Please fold strollers whenever possible to reduce tripping hazards in the lobby. Strollers cannot be left in the entryway, even folded, because they are a fire hazard.
Finding good stroller parking out front isn’t always easy. We have arranged for additional stroller parking around the corner. Let us know if you will need a lock (text: 202-544-0434), and we’ll bring one out. On rainy days, we will provide a tarp as well.
The most prominent part of the building is the Nave, or sanctuary. For BSFY events, enter through the A-Street courtyard. Use the door by the bike racks and take the stairs or elevator to the left of the entry way. Classes are most typically in the dance studio on the second floor. Camps are held on the basement level.
- Strollers can be left in the lobby downstairs or brought up and stored outside of the studio door.
- Please remove shoes before entering the dance studio.
- Bathrooms are on the lobby and basement level.
Open Barre is located at 7338 Baltimore Avenue, Suite 200, in College Park, Maryland in the College Park Shopping Center. The studio is right above Cava and Starbucks.
You can find Open Barre by going all the way up the stairs next to Starbucks (if you park in the main front lot), or you can come in through the office building behind the main shopping center (if you park in the back lot).
The parking lot is on Knox Road, across the street from South Campus Commons and adjacent to Knox Towers. Parking is free on Sundays, when early childhood classes are held at this location.
Accessing this space does require stairs. There are fewer if you enter from the back lot. Strollers that are small or can be folded may be left in the hallway outside of the studio or secured to the fence in the rear parking lot. Please do not bring strollers into the studio, and do not block stairs, doorways, or walking paths with strollers.
The building is located at the corner of Sherman Ave and Columbia Rd NW.
The Brazilian American Cultural Center is located at 3001 Sherman Ave NW, Washington, DC 20001. This location hosts weekly early childhood classes. We are pleased to offer early childhood, family and baby yoga there starting in January 2023.
Yoga Heights Takoma Park is located at 255 Carroll Street NW, Washington, DC 20012. This location hosts baby yoga, infant massage, tot yoga, and preschooler yoga. Classes are available on weekdays and Sunday mornings.
Street parking is generally available nearby, and it is walking distance from the Takoma Park metro and bus stops.
The studio has a ground level entrance with no steps required. There is plenty of space in the lobby for stroller parking.
We also have hosted afterschool classes at Brent Elementary, Capitol Hill Montessori at Logan, Langley Elementary, Peabody Early Childhood Education Campus, Payne Elementary, and School Within a School – Goding.
Contact us about setting up a class at your location.