This class for newborn to precrawling babies and their grownup(s) contains dozens of yoga-inspired movements, postures, songs, rhymes and activities designed to support baby’s development. Each class is filled with calming, nurturing ways to enhance bonding, soothe the inevitable cranky moments, and improve baby’s sleep.
Babies participate while on their backs, tummies, or held in loving arms. For grownups, this class is a special opportunity to meet other parents and caregivers, get support, and learn about baby’s emerging personality.
Grownups will also get to do a bit of postpartum-appropriate yoga themselves, including strength- and flexibility-building postures, breathing exercises, and relaxation techniques to address common physical complaints and mental/emotional stressors during the new-parent period. Most appropriate from 6-weeks until baby is mobile. Moms, dads, grandparents or other caregivers welcome. No previous yoga experience necessary; be prepared/dressed for movement.
About Pop-Up Classes
- Unlike our weekly classes, pop-up classes do not require multi-week commitment.
- Advanced registration is appreciated. Classes with insufficient enrollment a week before the class may be cancelled.
- Students in our weekday series are welcome to attend this class as a makeup, but registration is required. Use code -popupmakeup – for no-charge makeup registration.
- Any of baby’s favorite grownups are welcome in this class – mom, dad, grandparent, nanny . . . up to 2 adults per baby with a 50% sibling discount for twins.
- Breathing Space classes and camps are held in the Annex.
- Enter via the 4th Street courtyard, past the steps down to the Washington Seminar Center.
- Street parking only. The church lot is reserved for staff and WSC guests. There are meters along Pennsylvania Avenue and a pay parking lot between 2nd & 3rd Street off Penn.
- Bikes and strollers may be parked in the courtyard.
- Shoes can be left in the hallway before you enter the class.
- Bathrooms are down the hallway to the right of the courtyard door. This door is locked during class but your instructor has the key.
- The door to the Annex may be locked once class starts. If you arrive late, call the phone number posted on the door or rap loudly on the window to get the instructor’s attention.
About Your Instructor
Jessica LaGarde has been teaching creative movement in the metro area since 2005 and is passionate about helping children discover and explore their bodies and the world around them. She was trained by Joye Newman, MA to teach preschool creative movement for Kids’ Moving Company, a Bethesda-based creative movement studio. In 2017, she completed her Baby, Toddler, and Children’s Yoga Teacher Training through Childlight Yoga.
In addition to working with preschoolers, Jessica is a registered massage practitioner and is trained in infant massage instruction. She has practiced massage for over twelve years and taught massage as part of Potomac Massage Training Institute’s professional training program. Outside of the movement space and massage room, she enjoys cooking, knitting, sewing, gardening and exploring the outdoors with her daughter.