Breathing Space Family Yoga Summer Camp
Thanks for a great 2022 summer camp season!
The info below is a PREVIEW of our plans for 2023 and subject to change. Check back in January for final details.
Why Yoga Camp?
Breathing Space summer camp provides children with a fun, creative, educational, and enriching experience through yoga movement classes, mindfulness activities, relaxation, games, crafts, field trips and outdoor time.
Each week-long camp is sure to create lasting memories, new friendships, and a foundation for health and well-being!
Yoga and mindfulness can help children build self-regulatory skills, resilience, social awareness, and confidence, as well as gross-motor skills, strength, and fitness. Through yoga, children learn techniques for concentrating, reducing stress, and connecting to their bodies in a loving way while having fun.
Breathing Space Kids Yoga Camp takes the lessons we learn in our yoga and mindfulness practice and expand on them to a full week of activities. Of course we do lots of yoga and yoga games, but that’s not all.
- We’ll do arts and crafts or themed activities every day.
- We hope to resume field trips during Summer 2022, pending public health guidance/regulations. We typically do at least one theme-based outing every week.
- Studio-based camps will have out-of-studio actvities most days from 9am-lunch.
- Unless weather is terrible, we’ll walk to a nearby playground for lunch and outdoor time daily.
- We will have some form of quiet relaxation time every day for both nappers and non-nappers.
- We work a lot of free-play time into our camp between organized activities as well.
Preview: Summer 2023 Camps
Pre-registration for returning campers begins January 10, 2023. *Returning campers participated Summer 2021-2022 or School Year ’21-22 or ’22-23 camps; must be on email list to get pregistration code. General registration begins at 7 am on Tuesday, January 24.
Camp Location & Hours
2022 Summer Yoga Camp will be held at
St Marks Church (301 A Street SE)
Breathing Space Studio (641 Penn Ave SE)
- 8:45 am-3:15* pm – Yoga Camp
Campers not enrolled in aftercare should be picked up between 3 and 3:15 pm. Thanks.
Please note that Yoga Trapeze Campers not staying for aftercare should be picked up promptly at 3 pm.
- 3 pm-5:30 pm - Aftercare
When camp is held at both locations, studio campers will walk to Christ Church for aftercare.
We are excited to announce that Labyrinth Games & Puzzles will be partnering with us again to offer Games Club after camp this summer.
2022 COVID Precautions*
- We will follow all DC public health and camp guidance as well as any rules set by the venues.
- Campers 5 yrs+ must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to attend camp.
- Adult staff will be fully vaccinated.
- We are hopeful that masks will be unnecessary and/or optional. Depending on DC regulations by summer, campers may be required to wear a well fitted face covering that seals securely above the nose and below the chin when they are indoors, except when they are sitting and eating. No gaters, bandanas, or mesh.
- Many camp activities will be held outdoors (even in normal times). Camp incorporates playground or other outings daily. Christ Church campers may also do arts and craft activities and free play in the church courtyard. As many meals and snacks as possible will be taken outdoors.
- More details will be offered as public health guidance is announced in the weeks leading up to camp.
Please review our refund policy prior to registering your campers. It has been expanded to cover instances of COVID exposure.
*updated Jan 8, 2022
Tuition & Deposits
Tuition is $425 per week plus a $20 per student registration fee to cover camp t-shirts and other supplies. Registration fee waived for earlybird registrations, by Feb 10.
Extended day $150 per week - Campers are welcome to join extended day from 3-5:30 pm. We offer a snack (air popped popcorn) before games club and campers are welcome to eat anything left from their packed lunch at that time if they like.
Please register early for aftercare. An aftercare earlybird discount of $25 per child will automatically apply at checkout when you register before Memorial Day.
Group Sizes and Ages
Our camps are intimate compared to many. Studio-based camps are capped at 14 campers and most St Marks Church camp classes are capped at groups of 16. Camps maintain a minimum 6:1 camper:staff ratio. Our campers and counselors get to know each other and make lasting friendships.
Please note camper grade ranges. All summer camp grade ranges refer to Fall 2023 grades.
Yoga Trapeze Camp for 3rd-7th Gr
Trapeze Yoga camps are for grades 3 and up. Not all rising 3rd graders are ready for trapeze camp, which requires body awareness and verbal direction following as well as self-control for safety. If you have any concerns about your child's readiness for trapeze, please reach out. We strongly recommend all students participate in an Intro to Yoga Trapeze session before enrolling. There will be several in December and early January.
We have two weeks of camp - Aug 7 and 14 - open to rising PK4, who are 4 years old by Sept 30 and meet our camp readiness requirements. With pre-approval, we also allow a very limited number of rising PK4 younger siblings who have experience with Breathing Space classes to attend weeks open to K-4th graders. See FAQs for our age policies, including younger sibling enrollment. Unfortunately, we cannot accommodate rising PK3 students.
Waitlist registration opens automatically when camp fills and may not be reflected in the table above. Please DO NOT enroll in aftercare if you do not have a confirmed spot in that week.
Counselors in Training: 5th-8th Gr
Rising 5th-8th graders are invited to apply to be a counselor in training. CITs are campers enrolled at half price who participate in all activities and help counselors prepare activities and help manage younger campers. Learn more.
- Classes are most likely in Drummond Hall on the first floor. Check the info board by the reception office at the 9th Street entrance (ground floor.)
- All strollers should be parked on the ground floor, near the kitchen. There is also a bicycle rack at the top of the 9th Street driveway.
- Please plan to leave all non-valuable personal items outside or store them on the shelves in the classroom to keep the floors clear. There will be a coat rack in the hallway outside the classroom for your coats and larger bags.
- Hill Center is an easy walk from Eastern Market metro and bus stops.
- Street parking can be found on Pennsylvania Avenue or E Street. Please do not park in the very small Hill Center lot. That is reserved for loading and staff use.
- Parents and children should still wait on the ground floor for classes to start, if the room isn’t open yet. There is usually seating near the kitchen and always seating in reception.
Breathing Space Family Yoga’s studio is located at 641 Pennsylvania Ave SE (map), Lower Level. (Some families may remember this as the old Realignment Studio space.) The studio is easily reached by the Eastern Market metro stop and several buses along Pennsylvania Avenue or 8th Street.St.
- All of our classes on the lower level, down a flight of stairs.
- Both children and adults are kindly asked to remove shoes before entering the classroom space.
- Cubbies are available in the classroom space for storing personal belongings.
- Please pack dirty diapers away with you.
- Small folding strollers are welcome inside but please leave jogging-style or bulky strollers locked to the bike rack or otherwise secured outside. For safety reasons, strollers cannot be left in the stairway or on landings.
The most prominent part of the building is the Nave, or sanctuary. For BSFY events, enter through the A-Street courtyard. Use the door by the bike racks and take the stairs or elevator to the left of the entry way. Classes are most typically in the dance studio on the second floor. Camps are held on the basement level.
- Strollers can be left in the lobby downstairs or brought up and stored outside of the studio door.
- Please remove shoes before entering the dance studio.
- Bathrooms are on the lobby and basement level.
Open Barre is located at 7338 Baltimore Avenue, Suite 200, in College Park, Maryland in the College Park Shopping Center. The studio is right above Cava and Starbucks.
You can find Open Barre by going all the way up the stairs next to Starbucks (if you park in the main front lot), or you can come in through the office building behind the main shopping center (if you park in the back lot).
The parking lot is on Knox Road, across the street from South Campus Commons and adjacent to Knox Towers. Parking is free on Sundays, when early childhood classes are held at this location.
Accessing this space does require stairs. There are fewer if you enter from the back lot. Strollers that are small or can be folded may be left in the hallway outside of the studio or secured to the fence in the rear parking lot. Please do not bring strollers into the studio, and do not block stairs, doorways, or walking paths with strollers.
Yoga Heights Takoma Park is located at 255 Carroll Street NW, Washington, DC 20012. This location hosts baby yoga, infant massage, tot yoga, and preschooler yoga. Classes are available on weekdays and Sunday mornings.
Street parking is generally available nearby, and it is walking distance from the Takoma Park metro and bus stops.
The studio has a ground level entrance with no steps required. There is plenty of space in the lobby for stroller parking.