Breathing Space Family Yoga Summer Camp
Why Yoga Camp?
Breathing Space summer camp provides children with a fun, creative, educational, and enriching experience through yoga movement classes, mindfulness activities, relaxation, games, crafts, field trips, and outdoor time.
Each week-long camp is sure to create lasting memories, new friendships, and a foundation for health and well-being!
Yoga and mindfulness can help children build self-regulatory skills, resilience, social awareness, and confidence, as well as gross-motor skills, strength, and fitness. Through yoga, children learn techniques for concentrating, reducing stress, and connecting to their bodies in a loving way while having fun.
Breathing Space Kids Yoga Camp takes the lessons we learn in our yoga and mindfulness practice and expand them to a full week of activities. Of course, we do lots of yoga and yoga games, but that’s not all.
- We’ll do arts and crafts or themed activities every day.
- We typically do at least one theme-based outing every week in addition to visits to neighborhood playgrounds and water features.
- Studio-based camps will have out-of-studio activities on Thursdays from 9 am-lunch.
- Unless the weather is terrible, we’ll hold lunch and free play outdoors daily.
- We will have some form of quiet relaxation time every day for both nappers and non-nappers.
- We work a lot of free-play time into our camp between organized activities as well.
Camp Location & Hours
2023 Summer Yoga Camp will be held at
St Marks Church (301 A Street SE)
Breathing Space Studio (641 Penn Ave SE, lower level)
- 8:45 am-3:15 pm – Yoga Camp
Camp may be structured in one of the following ways, see specific week titles for details:
– Yoga Camp for rising K-4th @ St Marks or Breathing Space Studio
– Yoga Camp for rising PK-3rd, broken into two sub groups: 1st-3rd, PK-K. @ St Marks
– Yoga Trapeze for rising 3rd-7th @ Breathing Space Studio
- Campers not enrolled in aftercare should be picked up between 3 and 3:15 pm. Thanks.
- 3:15 pm-5:30 pm - Aftercare
When camp is held at both locations, studio campers will walk to St Marks for aftercare between 3:15-3:30 pm.
We are excited to announce that Labyrinth Games & Puzzles will be partnering with us again to offer Games Club after camp this summer.
Please review our refund policy prior to registering your campers. It has been expanded to cover instances of COVID exposure.
*updated Jan 24, 2023
Tuition & Deposits
Tuition is $450 per week plus a $20 per student registration fee to cover camp t-shirts and other supplies. Registration fee waived for earlybird registrations, by Feb 10.
Extended day $150 per week - Campers are welcome to join extended day from 3:15-5:30 pm. We offer a snack (air popped popcorn) before games club and campers are welcome to eat anything left from their packed lunch at that time if they like.
Please register early for aftercare. An aftercare discount of $25 per child will automatically apply at checkout when you register before Memorial Day.
Group Sizes and Ages
Our camps are intimate compared to many. Studio-based camps are capped at 14 campers and most St Marks Church camp classes are capped at groups of 16-24 (at larger than 18 campers, we run most activities in smaller sub-groups). Camps maintain an approximately 6:1 camper:staff ratio. Our campers and counselors get to know each other and make lasting friendships.
All weeks of Yoga Camp are open to K-3rd. Please note camper grade ranges. All summer camp grade ranges refer to Fall 2023 grades.
Yoga Trapeze Camp for 3rd-7th Gr
Trapeze Yoga camps are for grades 3 and up. Not all rising 3rd graders are ready for trapeze camp, which requires body awareness and verbal direction following as well as self-control for safety. If you have any concerns about your child's readiness for trapeze, please reach out.
We have two weeks of camp - Aug 7 and 14 - open to rising PK4, who are 4 years old by Sept 30 and meet our camp readiness requirements. With pre-approval, we also allow a very limited number of rising PK4 younger siblings who have experience with Breathing Space classes to attend weeks open to K-4th graders. See FAQs for our age policies, including younger sibling enrollment. Unfortunately, we cannot accommodate rising PK3 students.
Waitlist registration opens automatically when camp fills and may not be reflected in the table above. Please DO NOT enroll in aftercare if you do not have a confirmed spot in that week.
Counselors in Training: 5th-8th Gr
Rising 5th-8th graders are invited to apply to be a counselor in training. CITs are campers enrolled at half price who participate in all activities and help counselors prepare activities and help manage younger campers. Learn more.
A common hesitation to signing up for a weekly class is that parents aren’t sure it will be the right fit for their child. We get that. It can be hard to even imagine a toddler or preschooler yoga class if you’ve never attended one
That’s why we offer a No Risk Refund Policy – Register and come to the first class. If you notify us in writing within 24 hours of class that you will not be able to continue the session, you will pay only for the class you attended plus a $5 admin fee.
Withdrawals requested using the form below will be processed and refunded as follows:
- More Than 7 Days Before Series Start: Refund issued in full minus the $5 processing fee. Fee waived when applying balance to another registration.
- More Than 48 Hours Before Series Start: Refund issued in at the No Risk Refund Policy rate or 80% minus $5 processing fee, whichever is greater.
- Up to 24 hours after the 3rd* class in a series: Refunds will be prorated for the classes that have passed in the session, not the ones you have actually attended, and issued minus a $5 processing fee. Fee waived when applying the balance to a future registration.
*Or halfway point for classes that are shorter than 6 weeks. For a 4 or 5 week series, that means week 2. For a 3 week series, that’s week 1.
- No refunds issued more than 24 hours after the 3rd class meeting or the halfway point class in a series, whichever is shorter. Please note, the reason we require notification within 24 hours of your final class is to make it more likely that we fill that seat with another student before the next class meeting.
Drop-in Registration is Non-Refundable
A drop-in is a single-date registration for a multi-week class (available only for adult classes).
- Each drop-in reservation may be rescheduled once at no charge as long as you notify us before or even during class that you cannot attend. Simply fill out the form. Classes must be rescheduled within four weeks of the original date.
- Prenatal drop-ins that are no longer relevant can be transferred to credit for future reservations: If you unexpectedly gave birth before using a drop-in, we will transfer the credit to a general account credit that can be used for baby, children’s, or other adult programming.
If we cancel a class, we will issue refunds or credits depending on student preference.
Refunds requested using the form below will be issued based on the following policies:
Single Date Non-Camp Workshops
Workshops are classes that meet only once, including pop-up classes, which are individual date classes of a type that normally meet for multiple weeks, eg. Baby Yoga & Play, Family Yoga, etc.
- More Than 7 Days Before Session/Event: Refund or credit issued in full minus a $5 or 4% processing fee (whichever is larger).
- More Than 48 Hours Before Session/Event: Refund issued in at 80% or minus minimum $5 processing fee.
- No refunds within 48 hours of an event. For recurring workshops such as Intro to Yoga Trapeze, registration may be rescheduled to a future date one time if you notify us before (or during) your scheduled class.
Because your reservation represents a space in class or camp that was held for you and not available for purchase by other students, there are no refunds issued after the dates listed above. Under extraordinary circumstances, we will suspend registration to be used in a later session.
If we cancel a class or a workshop, we will issue refunds or credits depending on student preference.
Student cancellations are subject to our refund policies for classes, camps, or workshops respectively.
What if Breathing space cancels?
In the event that Breathing Space Family Yoga cancels a class session or event before it starts, full refunds will be issued. If a session is cancelled due to low enrollment or other reason after it has begun, prorated refunds will be issued.
Inclement Weather Policy
We will make every effort to hold class as scheduled, even during inclement weather. If our class venue is open and an instructor can safely get there, we will very likely hold class.
Cancellations will be announced as soon as a decision is made, normally 2 hours before class. Registered students will be notified of cancellations by email or text to the contact information in your registration profile. If the cancelled class cannot be rescheduled, credits will be issued to all registered students.
Because of the small group sizes, Breathing Space is very limited in ability to offer refunds. If Breathing Space cancels camp for any reason before the camp day or week begins, we will offer refunds, including deposits.
Refunds requested using the form below will be issued according to the following policies:
School Year Camp Policies and Deadlines – Sept-June
- No refunds.
Up to 21 days before a camp begins:
- Registration may be rescheduled or credited to a future camp or class (minus $5 processing fee per camper per day) until 21 days before a scheduled camp. Rescheduling is subject to space availability.
Within 21 days of camp:
- Credits are only available if a waitlisted camper takes the spot (processing fee still applies). Camps often sell out well in advance. The further in advance you tell us about your camper’s change of plans, the more likely it is that we fill your spot.
Summer Camp Policies and Deadlines
- The first $100 of camp tuition is a non-refundable deposit.
Before May 31:
- Refunds minus the $100 deposit may be requested until May 31.
- Camp registration may be rescheduled to a different week of summer camp. Rescheduling is subject to space availability and a $25 processing fee.
After May 31:
- No refunds after after May 31.
- Withdrawals are be eligible for credit (minus the $100 deposit) toward future camps or classes only if a waitlisted camper takes the vacated spot. Camps often sell out well in advance. The further in advance you tell us about your camper’s change of plans, the more likely it is that we fill your spot.
We are an extremely small camp and the difference between profitable and not is a very small number of campers. If these refund policies don’t work for your family, then we recommend finding a larger camp that can absorb losses from last minute cancellations.
Why do you have a refund deadline for camps and classes?
We don’t want folks booking summer camp in January and then figuring out their beach vacations or other plans months later. It’s a pain that summer registration starts so early in DC and families booking tentative camp registrations increases the perception of scarcity and makes the situation worse.
We sometimes fill cancelled spots, but sometimes don’t. When we hit our refund deadlines, the vast majority of possible participants – even those who put themselves on our waitlists – have made other plans by the time someone cancels a camp spot. Filling vacant spots can be challenging and is often time consuming.
After our refund deadlines, we are counting on our registration numbers to cover our costs. If we allowed last minute refunds, we’d have to raise the price of camps and classes for everyone to compensate.
Refunds will usually be issued by the payment card used for registration or check mailed to the address on your account profile within 30 days of refund request receipt.
If your refund is dependent on another participant taking your spot in a program and the spot isn’t immediately filled, refunds will be issued within 30 days of the scheduled program start date rather than request receipt.
We often here from parents that they are hesitant to enroll if they aren’t sure their child will enjoy a class. We get it. That’s why we have our:
No Risk Refund Policy – Not sure if a kids & family series class will be right for you or your child? Register and come to the first class. If you notify us in writing within 48 hours after the first class that you will not be able to continue the session, we refund all but $22 for that first class.
We are also very flexible about switching classes for students who have nap time shifts during the course of a series. For example, if your child is enrolled in an 11 am class and starts napping at that time, we’ll happily switch her into one of our 9 or 9:30 am classes instead.