Breathing Space Family Yoga Summer Camp
Why Yoga Camp?
Breathing Space summer camp provides children with a fun, creative, educational, and enriching experience through yoga movement classes, mindfulness activities, relaxation, games, crafts, field trips and outdoor time.
Each week-long camp is sure to create lasting memories, new friendships, and a foundation for health and well-being!
Yoga and mindfulness can help children build self-regulatory skills, resilience, social awareness, and confidence, as well as gross-motor skills, strength, and fitness. Through yoga, children learn techniques for concentrating, reducing stress, and connecting to their bodies in a loving way while having fun.
Breathing Space Kids Yoga Camp takes the lessons we learn in our yoga and mindfulness practice and expand on them to a full week of activities. Of course we do lots of yoga and yoga games, but that’s not all.
- We’ll do arts and crafts or themed activities every day.
- We hope to resume field trips during Summer 2022, pending public health guidance/regulations. We typically do at least one theme-based outing every week.
- Studio-based camps will have out-of-studio actvities most days from 9am-lunch.
- Unless weather is terrible, we’ll walk to a nearby playground for lunch and outdoor time daily.
- We will have some form of quiet relaxation time every day for both nappers and non-nappers.
- We work a lot of free-play time into our camp between organized activities as well.
Please read this page fully to understand the changes we’ve made to Summer Yoga Camp for 2022 and the COVID protocols we have put into place to keep our campers and staff safe and healthy.
Summer 2022 Camps
Pre-registration for returning campers begins Saturday, January 15*. General registration begins at 7 am on Monday, January 24. *Returning campers participated Summer 2019-2021 or School Year ’19-20 or ’21-22 camps; must be on email list to get code.
Camp Location & Hours
2022 Summer Yoga Camp will be held at
Christ Church (6th & G SE)
Breathing Space Studio (641 Penn Ave SE)
- 8:45 am-3:15* pm – Yoga Camp
Campers not enrolled in aftercare should be picked up between 3 and 3:15 pm. Thanks.
Please note that Yoga Trapeze Campers not staying for aftercare should be picked up promptly at 3 pm.
- 3 pm-5:30 pm - Aftercare
When camp is held at both locations, studio campers will walk to Christ Church for aftercare.
We are excited to announce that Labyrinth Games & Puzzles will be partnering with us again to offer Games Club after camp this summer.
2022 COVID Precautions*
- We will follow all DC public health and camp guidance as well as any rules set by the venues.
- Campers 5 yrs+ must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to attend camp.
- Adult staff will be fully vaccinated.
- Depending on DC regulations by summer, campers may be required to wear a well fitted face covering that seals securely above the nose and below the chin when they are indoors, except when they are sitting and eating. No gaters, bandanas, or mesh.
- Many camp activities will be held outdoors (even in normal times). Camp incorporates playground or other outings daily. Christ Church campers may also do arts and craft activities and free play in the church courtyard. As many meals and snacks as possible will be taken outdoors.
- More details will be offered as public health guidance is announced in the weeks leading up to camp.
Please review our refund policy prior to registering your campers. It has been expanded to cover instances of COVID exposure.
*updated Jan 8, 2022
Tuition & Deposits
Tuition is $425 per week plus a $20 per student registration fee to cover camp t-shirts and other supplies. Registration fee waived for early registrations, by January 30.
The first $100 of tuition is a non-refundable deposit (read more in FAQs and pricing policies). If you elect to pay the deposit-only during registration, you must save your payment card to your profile and the balance will be charged on June 1.
Extended day $150 per week - Campers are welcome to join extended day from 3-5:30 pm. We offer a snack (air popped popcorn) before games club and campers are welcome to eat anything left from their packed lunch at that time if they like.
Please register early for aftercare. An earlybird discount of $25 per child will automatically apply at checkout when you register 2 weeks before camp.
Group Sizes and Ages
Our camps are intimate compared to many. Studio-based camps are capped at 14 campers and most Christ Church camp classes are capped at groups of 16. Camps maintain a minimum 6:1 camper:staff ratio. Our campers and counselors get to know each other and make lasting friendships.
Please note camper grade ranges. All summer camp grade ranges refer to Fall 2022 grades.
Trapeze Yoga camps are for grades 3 and up.
With pre-approval, we also allow a very limited number of rising PK4 younger siblings who have experience with Breathing Space classes to attend weeks open to K-4th graders. See FAQs for our age policies, including younger sibling enrollment. Unfortunately, we cannot accommodate rising PK3 students.
Waitlist registration opens automatically when camp fills and may not be reflected in the table above. Please DO NOT enroll in aftercare if you do not have a confirmed spot in that week.
Counselors in Training: 5th-8th Gr
Rising 5th-8th graders are invited to apply to be a counselor in training. CITs are campers enrolled at half price who participate in all activities and help counselors prepare activities and help manage younger campers. Learn more.
We often here from parents that they are hesitant to enroll if they aren’t sure their child will enjoy a class. We get it. That’s why we have our:
No Risk Refund Policy – Not sure if a kids & family series class will be right for you or your child? Register and come to the first class. If you notify us in writing within 48 hours after the first class that you will not be able to continue the session, we refund all but $2o for that first class.
We are also very flexible about switching classes for students who have nap time shifts during the course of a series. For example, if your child is enrolled in an 11 am class and starts napping at that time, we’ll happily switch her into one of our 9 or 9:30 am classes instead.
Can I send my wife/husband/mother/grandmother/nanny/neighbor to class with my child instead of me sometimes?
Absolutely. Your child is welcome to bring any grownup they want with them to class. Up to 2 caregivers may attend class on a weekly basis. Additional visitors may attend occasionally and are encouraged to participate. Please be considerate of space constraints when bringing guests.
Absolutely. It sometimes takes a few weeks for our more reserved students to get comfortable enough to participate. That’s one of the reasons we offer classes in 6-10 week series rather than drop-in. Toddlers especially need time to get used to a space, a group of people and an instructor.
Even once they are comfortable, some more reserved little ones may be more watchers than doers in class. That doesn’t mean they are not learning and they may be more inclined to practice at home.
We do expect parent participation. The more yoga you do in class the more your child will do.
While parents should expect to move quite a lot, we will be doing yoga appropriate for the child’s age range, so it’s probably not a workout for the grownups as compared to an adult class.
Poses and activities are designed with toddlers/preschoolers in mind. While your instructor will likely be able to make suggestions, we expect adults to take care of their own bodies during class.
It’s rarely a problem. Pregnant moms often skip or modify belly-down poses and anything else that doesn’t feel right and adults with special conditions adjusting accordingly.
The biggest challenge is probably for adults who have significant difficulty getting up and down from the floor. I’ve had mobility-challenged caregivers, usually older nannies or grandparents, do very few of the poses with no problem. My suggestion is to try it and see how it goes.
Do note that several of our class venues are down a flight of stairs (strollers can be left locked outside). Our Saturday and Sunday class venues are handicap accessible.
Yes, one adult can bring more than one child to class. (See below for special nanny share policies)
- Baby Yoga & Play – Yes, you can bring twins. Because so much of this class hands on we charge the same for two babies as one baby if there’s only one caregiver attending. No need to register both babies, simply put them both in your account profile, sign one up, and join us. If you are bringing two adults, you must register both children. Sibling discounts will apply.
- Tot Yoga – Yes, twins, siblings. and nanny-shares are welcome, however all children between crawling-24 months must be registered and all children present must have accounts in the system. No need to register non-mobile younger siblings or share partners. They are welcome to tag along with parent/caregiver, just note them on the registration form (and have their parents create an account for them if they are not attending with a paying sibling). Sibling discounts automatically apply.See below for nanny-share discount.
- Little Family Yoga or Toddler Family Yoga– Again, twins, younger siblings, and nanny-shares are welcome. This is the age range we most often see younger siblings. All children older than 1 year must register for class. No need to register non-mobile younger siblings or share partners. They are welcome to tag along with parent/caregiver, just note them on the registration form (and have their parents create an account for them if they are not attending with a paying sibling). Sibling discounts automatically apply.See below for nanny-share discount.
- Family Yoga – Siblings up to one year younger or older than the target age range are welcome to register for Family Yoga classes. For example, 3-year-olds are welcome in classes with the stated range of 4-8 yrs. If you have any questions about the appropriateness of class for your child, please contact us. Sibling discounts are automatic.
Please contact us with any additional questions or to discuss situations that don’t fit the above scenarios.
Nanny Share Registration
All children must be added to their own parent’s account in our registration system to attend class. Please do not add an unrelated nanny-share child to your profile. Their parents must set up an account and accept our terms & conditions.
If a nanny-share misses a class, the whole share is welcome to make up class on an alternate day or parents of the enrolled students my bring the child to do a makeup on the weekend, with or without their share partner.
Class specific policies:
- Tot, Toddler or Little Family Yoga – Families registering as part of a nanny share (one caregiver bringing multiple unrelated children) are are eligible for a 10% discount with the code NANNYSHARE10. Discounts must be taken during registration and cannot be applied retroactively.
- Baby & Me Yoga – Because so much of this class hands on we charge the same for two babies as one baby if there’s only one caregiver attending. However both families in a Nanny Share registration must create accounts and be reachable in case of emergency, so both families can use the discount code NANNYSHARE50 to take half off registration.
A common hesitation to signing up for a weekly class is that parents aren’t sure it will be the right fit for their child. We get that. It can be hard to even imagine a toddler or preschooler yoga or sign language class if you’ve never attended one.
That’s why we offer a No Risk Refund Policy – Register and come (or log-in) to the first class. If you notify us in writing within 24 hours of class that you will not be able to continue the session, you will pay only for the class you attended plus a $5 admin fee. (See refund policies for more information.)