Breathing Space Family Yoga Summer Camp
Thanks for a great 2022 summer camp season!
The info below is a PREVIEW of our plans for 2023 and subject to change. Check back in January for final details.
Why Yoga Camp?
Breathing Space summer camp provides children with a fun, creative, educational, and enriching experience through yoga movement classes, mindfulness activities, relaxation, games, crafts, field trips and outdoor time.
Each week-long camp is sure to create lasting memories, new friendships, and a foundation for health and well-being!
Yoga and mindfulness can help children build self-regulatory skills, resilience, social awareness, and confidence, as well as gross-motor skills, strength, and fitness. Through yoga, children learn techniques for concentrating, reducing stress, and connecting to their bodies in a loving way while having fun.
Breathing Space Kids Yoga Camp takes the lessons we learn in our yoga and mindfulness practice and expand on them to a full week of activities. Of course we do lots of yoga and yoga games, but that’s not all.
- We’ll do arts and crafts or themed activities every day.
- We hope to resume field trips during Summer 2022, pending public health guidance/regulations. We typically do at least one theme-based outing every week.
- Studio-based camps will have out-of-studio actvities most days from 9am-lunch.
- Unless weather is terrible, we’ll walk to a nearby playground for lunch and outdoor time daily.
- We will have some form of quiet relaxation time every day for both nappers and non-nappers.
- We work a lot of free-play time into our camp between organized activities as well.
Preview: Summer 2023 Camps
Pre-registration for returning campers begins January 10, 2023. *Returning campers participated Summer 2021-2022 or School Year ’21-22 or ’22-23 camps; must be on email list to get pregistration code. General registration begins at 7 am on Tuesday, January 24.
Camp Location & Hours
2022 Summer Yoga Camp will be held at
St Marks Church (301 A Street SE)
Breathing Space Studio (641 Penn Ave SE)
- 8:45 am-3:15* pm – Yoga Camp
Campers not enrolled in aftercare should be picked up between 3 and 3:15 pm. Thanks.
Please note that Yoga Trapeze Campers not staying for aftercare should be picked up promptly at 3 pm.
- 3 pm-5:30 pm - Aftercare
When camp is held at both locations, studio campers will walk to Christ Church for aftercare.
We are excited to announce that Labyrinth Games & Puzzles will be partnering with us again to offer Games Club after camp this summer.
2022 COVID Precautions*
- We will follow all DC public health and camp guidance as well as any rules set by the venues.
- Campers 5 yrs+ must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to attend camp.
- Adult staff will be fully vaccinated.
- We are hopeful that masks will be unnecessary and/or optional. Depending on DC regulations by summer, campers may be required to wear a well fitted face covering that seals securely above the nose and below the chin when they are indoors, except when they are sitting and eating. No gaters, bandanas, or mesh.
- Many camp activities will be held outdoors (even in normal times). Camp incorporates playground or other outings daily. Christ Church campers may also do arts and craft activities and free play in the church courtyard. As many meals and snacks as possible will be taken outdoors.
- More details will be offered as public health guidance is announced in the weeks leading up to camp.
Please review our refund policy prior to registering your campers. It has been expanded to cover instances of COVID exposure.
*updated Jan 8, 2022
Tuition & Deposits
Tuition is $425 per week plus a $20 per student registration fee to cover camp t-shirts and other supplies. Registration fee waived for earlybird registrations, by Feb 10.
Extended day $150 per week - Campers are welcome to join extended day from 3-5:30 pm. We offer a snack (air popped popcorn) before games club and campers are welcome to eat anything left from their packed lunch at that time if they like.
Please register early for aftercare. An aftercare earlybird discount of $25 per child will automatically apply at checkout when you register before Memorial Day.
Group Sizes and Ages
Our camps are intimate compared to many. Studio-based camps are capped at 14 campers and most St Marks Church camp classes are capped at groups of 16. Camps maintain a minimum 6:1 camper:staff ratio. Our campers and counselors get to know each other and make lasting friendships.
Please note camper grade ranges. All summer camp grade ranges refer to Fall 2023 grades.
Yoga Trapeze Camp for 3rd-7th Gr
Trapeze Yoga camps are for grades 3 and up. Not all rising 3rd graders are ready for trapeze camp, which requires body awareness and verbal direction following as well as self-control for safety. If you have any concerns about your child's readiness for trapeze, please reach out. We strongly recommend all students participate in an Intro to Yoga Trapeze session before enrolling. There will be several in December and early January.
We have two weeks of camp - Aug 7 and 14 - open to rising PK4, who are 4 years old by Sept 30 and meet our camp readiness requirements. With pre-approval, we also allow a very limited number of rising PK4 younger siblings who have experience with Breathing Space classes to attend weeks open to K-4th graders. See FAQs for our age policies, including younger sibling enrollment. Unfortunately, we cannot accommodate rising PK3 students.
Waitlist registration opens automatically when camp fills and may not be reflected in the table above. Please DO NOT enroll in aftercare if you do not have a confirmed spot in that week.
Counselors in Training: 5th-8th Gr
Rising 5th-8th graders are invited to apply to be a counselor in training. CITs are campers enrolled at half price who participate in all activities and help counselors prepare activities and help manage younger campers. Learn more.
Breathing Space has had a chronic problem of last minute additions to camp aftercare. While accommodating one or two campers isn’t usually a problem, sometimes we get half a dozen last minute additions in the week before a camp and sometimes several on the morning of camp.
We get that life is sometimes unpredictable and last minute changes happen and want to help, but we suspect a fair amount of the last minute additions are caused by parents not being sure of their after camp plan when they sign up and then forgetting to do anything about it until days before or even the day of camp.
Last minute additions to aftercare sometimes leave us or the Labyrinth education director scrambling to add staff to aftercare or push us over our desired camper to staff ratios.
Aftercare costs $16 per day until two weeks before camp. After that, it’s $20 per day.