Breathing Space Family Yoga Summer Camp
Why Yoga Camp?
Breathing Space summer camp provides children with a fun, creative, educational, and enriching experience through yoga movement classes, mindfulness activities, relaxation, games, crafts, field trips, and outdoor time.
Each week-long camp is sure to create lasting memories, new friendships, and a foundation for health and well-being!
Yoga and mindfulness can help children build self-regulatory skills, resilience, social awareness, and confidence, as well as gross-motor skills, strength, and fitness. Through yoga, children learn techniques for concentrating, reducing stress, and connecting to their bodies in a loving way while having fun.
Breathing Space Kids Yoga Camp takes the lessons we learn in our yoga and mindfulness practice and expand them to a full week of activities. Of course, we do lots of yoga and yoga games, but that’s not all.
- We’ll do arts and crafts or themed activities every day.
- We typically do at least one theme-based outing every week in addition to visits to neighborhood playgrounds and water features.
- Studio-based camps will have out-of-studio activities on Thursdays from 9 am-lunch.
- Unless the weather is terrible, we’ll hold lunch and free play outdoors daily.
- We will have some form of quiet relaxation time every day for both nappers and non-nappers.
- We work a lot of free-play time into our camp between organized activities as well.
Camp Location & Hours
2023 Summer Yoga Camp will be held at
St Marks Church (301 A Street SE)
Breathing Space Studio (641 Penn Ave SE, lower level)
- 8:45 am-3:15 pm – Yoga Camp
Camp may be structured in one of the following ways, see specific week titles for details:
– Yoga Camp for rising K-4th @ St Marks or Breathing Space Studio
– Yoga Camp for rising PK-3rd, broken into two sub groups: 1st-3rd, PK-K. @ St Marks
– Yoga Trapeze for rising 3rd-7th @ Breathing Space Studio
- Campers not enrolled in aftercare should be picked up between 3 and 3:15 pm. Thanks.
- 3:15 pm-5:30 pm - Aftercare
When camp is held at both locations, studio campers will walk to St Marks for aftercare between 3:15-3:30 pm.
We are excited to announce that Labyrinth Games & Puzzles will be partnering with us again to offer Games Club after camp this summer.
Please review our refund policy prior to registering your campers. It has been expanded to cover instances of COVID exposure.
*updated Jan 24, 2023
Tuition & Deposits
Tuition is $450 per week plus a $20 per student registration fee to cover camp t-shirts and other supplies. Registration fee waived for earlybird registrations, by Feb 10.
Extended day $150 per week - Campers are welcome to join extended day from 3:15-5:30 pm. We offer a snack (air popped popcorn) before games club and campers are welcome to eat anything left from their packed lunch at that time if they like.
Please register early for aftercare. An aftercare discount of $25 per child will automatically apply at checkout when you register before Memorial Day.
Group Sizes and Ages
Our camps are intimate compared to many. Studio-based camps are capped at 14 campers and most St Marks Church camp classes are capped at groups of 16-24 (at larger than 18 campers, we run most activities in smaller sub-groups). Camps maintain an approximately 6:1 camper:staff ratio. Our campers and counselors get to know each other and make lasting friendships.
All weeks of Yoga Camp are open to K-3rd. Please note camper grade ranges. All summer camp grade ranges refer to Fall 2023 grades.
Yoga Trapeze Camp for 3rd-7th Gr
Trapeze Yoga camps are for grades 3 and up. Not all rising 3rd graders are ready for trapeze camp, which requires body awareness and verbal direction following as well as self-control for safety. If you have any concerns about your child's readiness for trapeze, please reach out.
We have two weeks of camp - Aug 7 and 14 - open to rising PK4, who are 4 years old by Sept 30 and meet our camp readiness requirements. With pre-approval, we also allow a very limited number of rising PK4 younger siblings who have experience with Breathing Space classes to attend weeks open to K-4th graders. See FAQs for our age policies, including younger sibling enrollment. Unfortunately, we cannot accommodate rising PK3 students.
Waitlist registration opens automatically when camp fills and may not be reflected in the table above. Please DO NOT enroll in aftercare if you do not have a confirmed spot in that week.
Counselors in Training: 5th-8th Gr
Rising 5th-8th graders are invited to apply to be a counselor in training. CITs are campers enrolled at half price who participate in all activities and help counselors prepare activities and help manage younger campers. Learn more.
Because of the small group sizes, Breathing Space is very limited in ability to offer refunds. If Breathing Space cancels camp for any reason before the camp day or week begins, we will offer refunds, including deposits.
Refunds requested using the form below will be issued according to the following policies:
School Year Camp Policies and Deadlines – Sept-June
- No refunds.
Up to 21 days before a camp begins:
- Registration may be rescheduled or credited to a future camp or class (minus $5 processing fee per camper per day) until 21 days before a scheduled camp. Rescheduling is subject to space availability.
Within 21 days of camp:
- Credits are only available if a waitlisted camper takes the spot (processing fee still applies). Camps often sell out well in advance. The further in advance you tell us about your camper’s change of plans, the more likely it is that we fill your spot.
Summer Camp Policies and Deadlines
- The first $100 of camp tuition is a non-refundable deposit.
Before May 31:
- Refunds minus the $100 deposit may be requested until May 31.
- Camp registration may be rescheduled to a different week of summer camp. Rescheduling is subject to space availability and a $25 processing fee.
After May 31:
- No refunds after after May 31.
- Withdrawals are be eligible for credit (minus the $100 deposit) toward future camps or classes only if a waitlisted camper takes the vacated spot. Camps often sell out well in advance. The further in advance you tell us about your camper’s change of plans, the more likely it is that we fill your spot.
We are an extremely small camp and the difference between profitable and not is a very small number of campers. If these refund policies don’t work for your family, then we recommend finding a larger camp that can absorb losses from last minute cancellations.
Why do you have a refund deadline for camps and classes?
We don’t want folks booking summer camp in January and then figuring out their beach vacations or other plans months later. It’s a pain that summer registration starts so early in DC and families booking tentative camp registrations increases the perception of scarcity and makes the situation worse.
We sometimes fill cancelled spots, but sometimes don’t. When we hit our refund deadlines, the vast majority of possible participants – even those who put themselves on our waitlists – have made other plans by the time someone cancels a camp spot. Filling vacant spots can be challenging and is often time consuming.
After our refund deadlines, we are counting on our registration numbers to cover our costs. If we allowed last minute refunds, we’d have to raise the price of camps and classes for everyone to compensate.
We hate to cancel camp. We know parents are counting on camp and our staff are counting on the work. If we cancel camp before the start of the week (or day for school-year camps), we issue refunds.
School Year Camps may be cancelled due to low enrollment 14 days in advance of camp. Within 14 days, we would only cancel due to weather or another emergency.
Summer Camp cancellations are unusual and will be made based on enrollment projections by May 31.
Weather or emergency cancellations: Because we do not use DCPS facilities for camp, we are not obligated to follow their weather cancellations policies, but some of our venues do anyway. If staff can safely get to camp and the facility is available, we will try to hold camp. We are more likely to cancel if the federal government shuts down. We will send emails and post messages to social media if camp is cancelled or delayed due to weather. Make sure your registration email is one you check regularly and follow us on social media.