Frequently Asked Questions
- Classes are offered in multi-class sessions requiring registration. No drop-ins permitted in kids and family yoga class series.
- Please register the child participant in all kids and family classes.
- One adult must be present for any class described as family yoga or for children under 4 years old: Family Yoga, Preschooler Yoga, Tot Yoga, etc. Up to two adults are welcome to participate these classes on weekly basis and the same adult need not be present every time.
- In order to create a safe space for the children and because of limited studio space, we request that students not bring observers to class. If grandparents or other special guests wish to see class, please encourage them to participate.
- Occasionally we offer single-date classes, typically for older children or infants, but sometimes as a demo and not associated with a series. Registration in advance is still required for these classes and those not meeting enrollment minimum in the week leading up to class may be cancelled.
Kids and tweens yoga classes not described as family classes are for the children only. Due to limited studio space and to respect the students, family members and friends are asked not to observe these classes. Many of our venues are near cafes and shops.
Course material is cumulative so drop-ins are not allowed. Families that miss a class are welcome to do an appropriate drop-in in another postnatal class as a makeup or attend the same week in a subsequent series.
Children’s and family yoga (crawling babies to teen) is offered in multi-class series, like semesters, no drop-ins.
- Prices for series are a based on a $18 per visit rate and vary depending length of the series, with a per visit discount for series longer than 10 weeks. For example:
- 7 week series = $126
- 10 week series = $180
- 12 week series = $192
Up to two (2) caregivers may attend family classes with the registered child. The same adult need not attend every week.
Siblings must be enrolled with the exception of non-walking infants or siblings on school-closed days.
Should you need to miss a class in your session, we have a very flexible makeup policy.
Breathing Space offers two kinds of Baby Sign Language classes: an occasional workshop for parents and a weekly parent-child class.
Baby & Me Sign Language: Parent Intro Workshop Pricing
$75 per two-adult family registration, babies welcome. $20 for additional family members or caregivers.
Bringing only one adult to the workshop? Use the discount code “oneadult” at checkout to reduce the price to $40.
Registration includes a handout reviewing signs covered and tips for incorporating sign language at home.
Baby & Toddler Signing Time: Weekly Class Series Pricing
Weekly Baby Signing Time class pricing and policies are the same as our weekly children’s and family yoga. Class is offered in multi-class series, like semesters, no drop-ins.
- Prices for series are a based on a $18 per visit rate and vary depending length of the series, with a per visit discount for series longer than 10 weeks. For example:
- 5 week series = $90
- 7 week series = $126
- 10 week series = $180
- 12 week series = $192
Up to two (2) caregivers may attend family classes with the registered child. The same adult need not attend every week.
Siblings must be enrolled with the exception of infants younger than 6 months by 2 weeks into the series.
Should you need to miss a class in your session, we have a very flexible makeup policy. Baby & Toddler Signing Time students are welcome to make up in any age appropriate class in the same semester.
Occasionally, we offer a pop-up style class to allow families to try out class with no commitment. Registration is $20 per child.
Our public prenatal yoga classes welcome drop-in students.
- Pay by the class, $20 per class
Simply drop in as your schedule allows. Advanced reservations are appreciated but not required.
- Multi-class flex-passes, $17 per class
When students commit to take 10 classes, they are eligible for a per class discounts. Purchase a 10-class package and then attend whenever it’s convenient for you within 6 months.
- Commit to a series, $16 per class
Our prenatal yoga classes are scheduled in 5-8 week minimesters. If you commit to all classes in a series, we offer a discount. One class may be carried over into a subsequent semester, but otherwise standard makeup policies apply.
Register for Series
- All prices at subject to 6% DC fitness tax.
Please pay for your drop-in class, class pass, or registration in advance. Several of our class venues have limited point-of-sale options and instructors do not accept cash. Our registration site is mobile friendly and accepts payments right up until class starts.
What if baby comes early and I don’t get to use all my classes? Send us a note when baby is born and we’ll transfer unused class credits to your account so you can apply the value to future registrations.
Our children’s and family classes and some special topics are offered in multi-week series with students committing to multiple consecutive classes. There are lots of benefits to committing to a weekly class but we understand that modern life is busy and sometimes unpredictable. If you must miss a class, you have two options to make it up:
- Any family member may take any other appropriate weekly class during the same semester, even in advance – this means the same class on a alternate day or something different;
- Because Baby Yoga & Play classes are offered in a shorter semesters and start dates are sometimes staggered, parents make carry one makeup class past the original series dates by one month.
- Note that single date or short series workshops – infant massage, baby sign language parent workshop, etc – are not options for makeups from weekly classes with the exception of family yoga “pop-up” classes. Pop-up classes are the weekly classes scheduled outside of the series. Makeups are welcome, but advanced registration IS required.
- If there is space in your class, you may bring a friend as your make-up class (instead of option 1). Guests need to create an account in our registration system to provide contact information and accept terms and conditions (includes our liability waiver and photo release). Please confirm space availability with your instructor.
What about live online classes?
You may still use the online makeup scheduler to set up makeups for online classes. Please be sure to do so 24 hours in advance to ensure you are added to the class roster and receive the appropriate Zoom links.
Which class can I take as a makeup?
Anything class that is appropriate for the family member doing the makeup class. You can even send different adult family members to do the makeup class. Students may make up in any location. For example, if you miss a baby yoga class and there isn’t another that suits your schedule, you may bring your toddler to Little Family Yoga as a make up (baby can even tag along). If you and your child miss Little Family Yoga, you may attend Baby Yoga & Play, a prenatal yoga class, or come to Baby & Toddler Singing Time (weekly class, not weekend workshop). Anytime we have a “Pop-Up” class on the schedule, that can be a makeup (pop ups must be reserved in advance).
How do I reserve a makeup class?
Our registration system has make up reservations. Log in to the system and look for makeups in the drop down menu under classes (this option only appears for registered students). See instructions here.
I really am only able to attend a couple classes, can I drop-in?
Making Up in a Pop Up ClassOccasionally we offer “Pop Up” classes not associated with a series. Advanced reservation is required. Pop ups with insufficient registration 3 days in advance may be cancelled.
The following discounts apply to full series registration of multi-week classes only:
- Siblings – Siblings registering for the same class are eligible for a 50% discount after the first registration. See individual class descriptions for policies about younger and older siblings outside the stated class age range. All siblings older than 1 year must register for class.
- Long series – When series are longer than 10 weeks, we offer a per class discount. Final price is posted. No code required.
- Non-profit/fixed income/teachers/military discount – We offer a 10 percent discount to non-profit employees, military families, or persons on a fixed income if it makes attendance possible. Please contact us for the code.
Discounts codes do not combine. The registration system automatically applies the largest possible discount. Staff are unable to retroactively add discounts.
Withdrawals requested in writing will be processed and refunded as follows:
- More Than 7 Days Before Series Start: Refund issued in full minus the $5 processing fee. Fee waived when applying balance to another registration.
- More Than 48 Hours Before Series Start: Refund issued in at the No Risk Refund Policy rate or 80% minus $5 processing fee, whichever is greater.
- After The Series Start but More Than 48 hours Before the Halfway Point: Refunds will be prorated for the classes that have passed in the session, not the ones you have actually attended, and issued minus a $5 processing fee. Fee waived when applying the balance to a future registration.
- No refunds issued beyond the halfway point in a series.
Can we do a trial class or drop into a Tot, Preschooler, Family, Kids or Tween Yoga class occasionally?
Nope, sorry. We don’t offer drop-in options for classes for crawling or older children or trial classes during the regular session.
Children really do need the consistency of a weekly class both for comfort and so they can best learn and drop-ins can be disruptive to the class routine. Read more. Since it often takes several classes for a child to settle in, dropping in once is not really the best indicator of whether your child will enjoy class.
However, we get that it can be tough to commit to a class when you can’t imagine what happens or how your child will react, so:
- We have a no-risk refund policy. If you register for a class and decide for any reason it’s a bad fit for you, your child, or your schedule, and you decide early in the series, you can drop the class and get a prorated refund. See details.
- We occasionally offer trial/drop-in days, when the teacher will spend a little extra time explaining the class routine and parents get a chance to see a class in action.
We also understand that life is unpredictable and have a generous makeup policy for families that wish to commit to a series but know they will miss a class or two.
We have several different parent-child yoga classes on our schedule and people have asked, which one should they should sign up for? To answer that, pick the best description that fits your situation:
If you have one child, pick the appropriate age range:
- newborn to almost crawling babies – Baby Yoga & Play or Infant Massage
- crawling (or almost crawling and at least 7 months old) to 1 years – Tot Yoga
- 12-24 months – Tot Yoga or Toddler Family Yoga or as a younger sibling in Little Family Yoga
- almost 2 to 4 years – Toddler Family Yoga or Little Family Yoga
- 3 yrs – Toddler Family Yoga, Prenatal Yoga or as a younger sibling in Family Yoga
- 4 yrs – Little Family Yoga or Family Yoga
- 5-10 yrs – Family Yoga
If you have a 3 year old or children in multiple age ranges, you have a choice of classes:
Toddler Family Yoga (steady walking – 35 months)
- Very active, playful class with simple movements, yoga poses, and beginning breath and body awareness exercises
- Beginning to incorporate imaginative play and simple storytelling in relation to the yoga poses and activities
- Typically only uses yoga mats as a prop or for relaxation
- Younger siblings welcome (non walking infants free)
Little Family Yoga Yoga (21 months – 4 yrs)
- Very active, playful class with age appropriate yoga poses and beginning breath and body awareness exercises
- Incorporates imaginative play and storytelling in relation to the yoga poses and activities
- Games are very simple, usually consisting of only one or two steps: jumping in and out of circles, following directions …
- Partner poses are very simple
- Typically only uses yoga mats as a prop or for relaxation
- Especially good for young 4 year olds or reserved children likely to stay close to their parent during class
- Appropriate for siblings younger than 2 to participate (may enroll at half price, non walking infants free)
Family Yoga (4-8 or 10 yrs)
- Still active and playful, in fact a bit more athletic as coordination improves,
- More imagination/pretend, more and more involved stories,
- Games become more complicated and start to have rules: move & freeze, musical mats …
- Partner poses with parents begin to be recognizable as yoga poses
- Uses mats for the majority of the class, but children will move around the room for many activities
- Appropriate for younger siblings 2.5 years and older or older siblings 10 and younger to participate (50% sibling discount, strongly recommend second adult participant when sibling is younger than 3)
- May also be appropriate for 3-year olds who’ve taken our classes for several months and would enjoy the challenge of keeping up with the big kids. By permission only.
All classes can accommodate younger or older siblings, so what do you do if both children are not within the same class age range?
You have multiple children to enroll:
- A 3-year-old and a 1-year-old – Little Family Yoga (2-4 yrs) with the younger one enrolled at half price
- A 5/6 year old and a 2.5 year old – Family Yoga (4-8 years) with the younger enrolled at half price
- A 5- and 9-year-old – Family Yoga (4-8 yrs) with the older enrolled at half price.
Sibling discounts are automatic; just sign up both children.
Our Tot Yoga (crawling-24 months) and Little Family Yoga (21 months-4 yrs) have a 3 month age overlap on purpose. Personality, more than physical development, should be the deciding factor between the two classes.
Tot Yoga tends to be a quieter class with more repetition from week to week, so suits more reserved toddlers better.
Little Family Yoga tends to be louder and move move more quickly from activity to activity to suit the energy level of 2-4 yr olds. Little Family Yoga requires more verbal direction following, incorporates more imaginative play, and typically involves less physical helping from parents. Very active almost-2 year olds often do well in this class because the social environment challenges them more than that of the younger group. Younger siblings accustomed to the energy and speed of older toddlers and preschoolers tend to enjoy this class as well, even if they are not able to do every pose.
Toddler Family Yoga (walking-4 yrs) is a crossover class which is very much like Little Family Yoga with some adaptations 12-21 month old students.
Baby Yoga & Play classes are offered in 3-6-week series. Full registration required, no drop-ins.
We know it’s hard to get out of the house with a newborn, that naps are sometimes unpredictable, and life can be complicated . . . and that’s why we are requiring series registration for this class.
Committing to the whole series makes it infinitely more likely that you actually attend. It far too easy to say “oh, I’ll go next week” if you are planning on dropping in. If you end up with an unavoidable conflict, illness, or disrupted nap-time, you can take advantage of our generous makeup policy.
Make Up Options for Baby Yoga & Play
Because it’s hard to convince babies to be born and maternity leaves to be set on our schedule, we offer lots of flexibility:
- If students must miss a class, they are welcome to
- attend any other family yoga class as a makeup within the same timeframe, or
- bring a friend to class as a makeup.
See makeup class FAQs for details.
- Any of baby’s favorite grownups are welcome in this class – mom, dad, grandparent, nanny . . . and the same adult need not attend each time. Registration is for one adult-baby on a weekly basis, but occasional visitors are welcome to attend as well.
- Partial registration: If there is room in the class once the series begins, late registration will remain open for the first 1/3 of the series. Registration automatically prorates. If you can’t complete a series but can commit to 2/3 of the series in consecutive weeks – say because you are going back to work before our series ends – contact us about partial enrollment.
So what does this mean?
- If a full series conflicts with work or travel, feel free to attend multiple times a week during the weeks you can attend.
- If you are going back to work and baby will be home with a nanny or other caregiver, feel free to have them attend in your stead.
Still not sure if Baby Yoga & Play is right for you? That’s why we have a no-risk registration policy. If you attend your first class and decide it’s not a good fit, we make it easy to drop a class series. Read all of our class policies and FAQs.
- Unused multi-class passes are refundable for 30 days from purchase date.
- Used passes are not refundable.
About Pass Expirations
Multi-class passes are offered at a discount of $2 per class. This is an agreement with us and with yourself that you will attend 10 classes within 6 months. Because we understand that life is unpredictable, unexpired passes may be extended for an additional 6 months for a $20 fee (effectively forgoing the discount). Passes that expired more than 90 days prior may also be extended but may be subject to additional fees if our prices have increased since your pass was purchased.
Single Date Non-Camp Workshops
- More Than 7 Days Before Session/Event: Refund or credit issued in full minus a $5 or 4% processing fee (whichever is larger).
- More Than 48 Hours Before Session/Event: Refund issued in at 80% minus $5 processing fee.
- No refunds within 48 hours of an event.
Because your reservation represents a space in class or camp that was held for you and not available for purchase by other students, there are no refunds issued after the dates listed above. Under extraordinary circumstances, we will suspend registration to be used in a later session.
Student cancellations are subject to our refund policies for classes, camps, or workshops respectively.
What if Breathing space cancels?
In the event that Breathing Space Family Yoga cancels a class session or event before it starts, full refunds will be issued. If a session is cancelled due to low enrollment or other reason after it has begun, prorated refunds will be issued.
Inclement Weather Policy
We will make every effort to hold class as scheduled, even during inclement weather. If our class venue is open and an instructor can safely get there, we will very likely hold class.
Cancellations and updates will be posted on Facebook and Twitter as soon as a decision is made, normally 2 hours before class. Registered students will be notified of cancellations by email. If the cancelled class cannot be rescheduled, credits will be issued to all registered students.
For safety and consideration of your fellow students and comfort of your child, please do not bring sick children to class or camp.
Please keep your child(ren) home from class if they have been experiencing any of the following in the previous 24 hours:
- an unexplained rash,
- mouth sores (especially in the oral-staged children),
- persistent and frequent cough that interferes with your child’s class involvement or poses a risk to others,
- extremely runny nose, or
- any other contagious illness.
Please note that older children too sick to attend school should not be tagging along to yoga class.
Specific Guidance on The Flu & Common Colds
Most healthy adults may be able to infect others beginning 1 day before symptoms develop and up to 5 to 7 days after becoming sick. Children and some people with weakened immune systems may pass the virus for longer than 7 days. (Source: CDC)
In the case of a flu diagnosis, or suspected, please keep your child home for a full week from becoming symptomatic.
You’re generally contagious with a cold 1-2 days before your symptoms start, and you could be contagious as long as your symptoms are present—in rare cases, up to 2 weeks. (Source: Ceder-Sinai.org)
While you are most contagious in the first 2-4 days of symptoms, resuming daily activities without exposing others depends on both your immune system and your ability to follow hygiene protocols. Most small children have trouble with the later. If your child has a frequent cough and is not yet reliable about coughing into their sleeve or a very runny nose, they are likely to expose others to the lingering virus. Please stay home until symptoms subside.
We have a very liberal make-up policy so please take advantage of that if your child (or you) is ill.
Unfortunately it is not possible to do a makeup from camp. See our camp policies for more details.
Cleanliness at Classes and Camps
Most of our venues are cleaned at least weekly, and many of our host partners step up sanitation of high-touch areas when there is an illness outbreak.
If hand washing stations are not readily available, your instructor may ask you and your child to use hand sanitizer upon entry. Tissues and hand sanitizer will be available as needed.
Our teachers clean and/or sanitize shared objects regularly. We strongly recommend not allowing your children to put them in their mouths.
We regularly wipe down Breathing Space yoga mats with disinfecting wipes. We always recommend using a baby blanket as a barrier between the mat and your infant in Baby Yoga or Infant Massage. However, due to the porous nature of a yoga mat, you may wish to bring your own, especially in spaces where Breathing Space doesn’t own the supplies.
- Realignment Studio: Prenatal students are requested to clean any Realignment Studio mats at the end of class with provided supplies.
- Shenanigans and Townhomes: Staff wipe mats between toddler classes. Adults are welcome to help. Tweens and adults will be requested to wipe their own mats after classes. Rinsing hands after disinfecting is recommended.
- Hill Center: We are not able to effectively sanitize these mats. Feel free to bring your own. We strongly recommend using a baby blanket as a barrier between your infant and the mat. You are welcome to wash hands in the art room sink at any time.
If you have specific questions about venues and policies, please ask.
Summer Camp 2021 Refund Policy Note
Because of the small group sizes, Breathing Space is very limited in ability to offer refunds. If Breathing Space cancels camp because of changing public health guidance or COVID exposures causing under enrollment before the camp week begins, we will offer refunds, including deposits.
We generally do not allow refunds after about Memorial Day at all unless a waitlisted camper takes the withdrawing student’s spot. By that point, most families have made plans even, if they are on our waitlist, and filling camp spots is not guaranteed.
For 2021, the only exception we can make is for campers who are exposed to or diagnosed with COVID-19 the week before the camp week begins and notifies us by the Friday before. For those cases, we can offer a partial refund, but if we lose more than one student the week before and do not fill the spot, that camp week may be cancelled. There will be no refunds mid-week, even if a camper must pull out of camp due to Coronavirus/COVID-19 and even if camp must be cancelled.
If these refund policies don’t work for your family, then we recommend finding a larger camp that can absorb losses from last minute cancellations.
School Year / Day-off Camp
Registration may be rescheduled or credited to a future camp or class (minus $5 processing fee per camp day) until 21 days before a scheduled camp. Rescheduling is subject to space availability.
Within 21 days of a camp day, credits are only available if a waitlisted camper takes the spot (processing fee still applies). Camps often sell out well in advance. The further in advance you tell us about your camper’s change of plans, the more likely it is that we fill your spot.
Registrations cancelled before May 31 will be issued as a refund minus the $100 non-refundable portion of tuition or credited to any other available camp week or program for a $5 processing fee.
Refunds and credits will only be issued after May 31 if a waitlisted camper takes the available spot. Switching weeks is still be option, space permitting, but the $100 deposit is non-refundable and non-transferable at this point.
If Breathing Space cancels a camp due to under-enrollment, inclement weather, or other emergency, registrants will have the option of applying a credit or taking a refund.
Because your reservation represents a space in camp that was held for you and not available for purchase by other campers, there are no refunds issued after the dates listed above.
Edit 01/07/19: We’ve had a rash of refund requests for day off camp right at the previous 14-day deadline, which was very disruptive because that is also our final staffing and camp-cancellation deadline. Within two weeks of camp, parents need to know that we have sufficient enrollment to run and staff need to confirm their work plans. We do not want campers holding a spot in camp unless they are planning to use it. Consequently we ended refunds for day off camps, credit only, and pushed the deadline back by a week.
Refunds will usually be issued by the payment card used for registration or check mailed to the address on your account profile within 30 days of refund request receipt.
If your refund is dependent on another participant taking your spot in a program and the spot isn’t immediately filled, refunds will be issued within 30 days of the scheduled program start date rather than request receipt.
We sometimes fill cancelled spots, but sometimes don’t. When we hit our refund deadlines, the vast majority of possible participants – even those who put themselves on our waitlists – have made other plans and filling vacant spots can be challenging. At that point, we are counting on our registration numbers to cover our costs. If we allowed last minute refunds, we’d have to raise the price of camps and classes for everyone to compensate.
Managing changes to class and camp rosters, waitlists and refunds actually takes up a lot of staff time. While we understand that life isn’t always predictable, we don’t want clients registering to “hold their spot” while they firm up plans. Processing fees discourage this and compensate us for staff time.
We put our Federal Employer Identification Number (EIN) on all our receipts, so check there. The receipt may be all you need for reimbursement. If you can’t locate your receipt. Please send a request by email to have it resent.
If you need forms signed, you can
- Get them signed by any of our lead instructors on the day of camp. Please have them filed out with camper information, EIN, and date(s) of attendance.
- Mail them with a with a self-addressed stamped envelope for return to: Breathing Space, 713 14th Street SE, Washington DC 20003
Unfortunately, we cannot accept emailed forms or arrange for pickup of forms. We work with several hundred families and printing and mailing your forms adds up in administrative time.
We often here from parents that they are hesitant to enroll if they aren’t sure their child will enjoy a class. We get it. That’s why we have our:
No Risk Refund Policy – Not sure if a kids & family series class will be right for you or your child? Register and come to the first class. If you notify us in writing within 48 hours after the first class that you will not be able to continue the session, we refund all but $2o for that first class.
We are also very flexible about switching classes for students who have nap time shifts during the course of a series. For example, if your child is enrolled in an 11 am class and starts napping at that time, we’ll happily switch her into one of our 9 or 9:30 am classes instead.
Can I send my wife/husband/mother/grandmother/nanny/neighbor to class with my child instead of me sometimes?
Absolutely. Your child is welcome to bring any grownup they want with them to class. Up to 2 caregivers may attend class on a weekly basis. Additional visitors may attend occasionally and are encouraged to participate. Please be considerate of space constraints when bringing guests.
That may not work. There isn’t a lot to entertain big kids at baby yoga, but we have occasionally had parents bring older children, mostly when other plans for them have fallen through or school is closed. Siblings are welcome in that circumstance. We do not recommend bringing older children on a weekly basis.
If you need to bring your older child, we recommend bringing quiet toys or books and arriving a few minutes early to set up a space for your child and to set expectations. Please check in with the instructor ahead of time if possible.
If we hold class on a day that school is closed, we’ll be very flexible in our planning. If there were ever enough demand for childcare during one of our series, we would definitely consider that. If you want to take class with a toddler and infant regularly, consider attending Little Families Yoga instead or doing a makeup in that class if you decide to skip rather than attend baby yoga.
Poses and activities are designed with toddlers/preschoolers in mind. While your instructor will likely be able to make suggestions, we expect adults to take care of their own bodies during class.
It’s rarely a problem. Pregnant moms often skip or modify belly-down poses and anything else that doesn’t feel right and adults with special conditions adjusting accordingly.
The biggest challenge is probably for adults who have significant difficulty getting up and down from the floor. I’ve had mobility-challenged caregivers, usually older nannies or grandparents, do very few of the poses with no problem. My suggestion is to try it and see how it goes.
Do note that several of our class venues are down a flight of stairs (strollers can be left locked outside). Our Saturday and Sunday class venues are handicap accessible.
Yes. If you know you will be out of town or will miss class for any reason, feel free to take your makeup class whenever it’s convenient in the same session.
We allow one makeup to carry over into a different session, within a month of the original series dates, so feel free to come a couple weeks before or after your class begins or ends.
Yoga Class Makeups
If you or your child falls into the proper age range for the desired makeup yoga class, yes you may.
Parents of registered children may take a makeup in Prenatal or Baby & Me Yoga. Your teenager can take a makeup for your toddler and vice-versa, so long as the student attends an appropriate class. Any weekly yoga class is open to make-up students, even if they are marked FULL (though please give us a heads up in that case).
No makeups in short-series or single-class workshops: Infant Massage, Baby & Me Sign Language, Beyond the Bump prenatal or postnatal workshops . . .
Yes, one adult can bring more than one child to class. (See below for special nanny share policies)
- Baby Yoga & Play – Yes, you can bring twins. Because so much of this class hands on we charge the same for two babies as one baby if there’s only one caregiver attending. No need to register both babies, simply put them both in your account profile, sign one up, and join us. If you are bringing two adults, you must register both children. Sibling discounts will apply.
- Tot Yoga – Yes, twins, siblings. and nanny-shares are welcome, however all children between crawling-24 months must be registered and all children present must have accounts in the system. No need to register non-mobile younger siblings or share partners. They are welcome to tag along with parent/caregiver, just note them on the registration form (and have their parents create an account for them if they are not attending with a paying sibling). Sibling discounts automatically apply.See below for nanny-share discount.
- Little Family Yoga or Toddler Family Yoga– Again, twins, younger siblings, and nanny-shares are welcome. This is the age range we most often see younger siblings. All children older than 1 year must register for class. No need to register non-mobile younger siblings or share partners. They are welcome to tag along with parent/caregiver, just note them on the registration form (and have their parents create an account for them if they are not attending with a paying sibling). Sibling discounts automatically apply.See below for nanny-share discount.
- Family Yoga – Siblings up to one year younger or older than the target age range are welcome to register for Family Yoga classes. For example, 3-year-olds are welcome in classes with the stated range of 4-8 yrs. If you have any questions about the appropriateness of class for your child, please contact us. Sibling discounts are automatic.
Please contact us with any additional questions or to discuss situations that don’t fit the above scenarios.
Nanny Share Registration
All children must be added to their own parent’s account in our registration system to attend class. Please do not add an unrelated nanny-share child to your profile. Their parents must set up an account and accept our terms & conditions.
If a nanny-share misses a class, the whole share is welcome to make up class on an alternate day or parents of the enrolled students my bring the child to do a makeup on the weekend, with or without their share partner.
Class specific policies:
- Tot, Toddler or Little Family Yoga – Families registering as part of a nanny share (one caregiver bringing multiple unrelated children) are are eligible for a 10% discount with the code NANNYSHARE10. Discounts must be taken during registration and cannot be applied retroactively.
- Baby & Me Yoga – Because so much of this class hands on we charge the same for two babies as one baby if there’s only one caregiver attending. However both families in a Nanny Share registration must create accounts and be reachable in case of emergency, so both families can use the discount code NANNYSHARE50 to take half off registration.
Breathing Space does not allow single class drop-ins for family classes. Why?
Semester Commitment is Best for Both Students and the Program
We’ve written before about the benefits of committing to a weekly yoga class. Children, even more than adults, benefit from the consistency and progressive teaching enabled by full registration.
We understand that may be different from what you are used to with yoga classes. Kids yoga operates in an unusual context. While adult yoga classes are very often drop-in based, you cannot just occasionally show up to any other kind of teacher-directed children’s class. There’s no drop-in ballet, gymnastics, music, art, karate, etc. All of these programs require registration in a series of classes or monthly membership. This creates a stable class and allows lessons to build upon on each other.
Session Commitment Encourages Consistent Attendance
As a parent, there are tons of demands on my time and regularly attending a class requires commitment. Paying ahead of time gives me that sense of obligation to actually go every week. This is true for me with my own classes and it’s doubly true for me to motivate my child out of the house, even for activities she (or we both) adore.
Session Commitment Enhances the Student Experience
As a children’s instructor, I find:
- Drop-in classes are not in the best interest of the child. It often takes 3 or 4 classes for a child, especially a toddler, to feel comfortable with a new place, new people, and a new routine. Children benefit from repetition and structure. Since drop-in students tend to only show up once or twice a semester, they miss out on the full benefits of the experience.
- Drop-ins detract from the experience of the students who have committed to a full session of classes because my attention is drawn to the new student – on everything from taking payment and filling in the parent on policies, facilities, and expectations, to making the new child feel comfortable.
But . . .
There are two major objections that I hear from parents to registering for an entire session:
- That they aren’t sure if class will be right for their child. We get that. It can be hard to even imagine a toddler or preschooler yoga class if you’ve never attended one.
That’s why we offer a No Risk Refund Policy – Not sure if class will be right for you or your child? Register and come to the first class. If you notify us in writing within 24 hours of class that you will not be able to continue the session, you will pay only $20 for the class you attended. (See refund policies for more information.)
- That they have travel or other schedule obligations that prevent full attendance. We understand schedules can be tricky. We intentionally skip holiday weekends and other high-travel times and offer a very generous make-up policy. To make up a missed class:
- Any family member may take any other appropriate class during the same session – this means a similar kids class or parents can take an adult class;
- If there is space in your class, you may bring a friend as your make-up class. Please confirm space availability with your instructor.
Weekly Yoga and Baby Sign Language Makeups
Students enrolled in weekly in-person yoga or baby sign language series classes (6-10 weeks) may make up missed classes in another appropriate classes within 4 weeks of the original series dates.
This is quite flexible. For example, if you miss a baby yoga class and there isn’t another that suits your schedule, you may bring your toddler to Little Family Yoga as a make up. If you miss Little Family Yoga you may take a prenatal yoga class or come to Baby & Toddler Singing Time (weekly class, not weekend workshop). Anytime we have a “Pop-Up” class on the schedule, that can be a makeup (pop ups must be reserved in advance). You can even send different adult family members to do the makeup class. Students may make up in any location.
Makeup Scheduling Online
There is a makeup scheduler in the MainStreetSites registration system. You must be logged into your account for the makeup scheduler to appear and you must be enrolled in a class for makeup spots to be available.
Once you are logged in, simply choose an appropriate makeup from the classes that appear. The student drop-down must match the enrolled student. If you are sending a different student than the original enrollment, just note that in the text field.
Note that toward the end of the semester, there may not be any available makeups in your desired class. We recommend scheduling your makeup as soon as you know you will miss and when you can attend instead. Makeups do not carry over to the next semester.
Workshop Makeups: Infant Massage, Birth & Baby Series
Many of our workshops are one time events and there is no makeup option if you do not attend. See our workshop enrollment and refund policies for details.
For short series classes such as Infant Massage, Beyond the Bump, or any birth & baby series – prenatal or postnatal, students may attend the same class in a subsequent series as a makeup. Those makeups are not in the scheduler. Email us to confirm.
A common hesitation to signing up for a weekly class is that parents aren’t sure it will be the right fit for their child. We get that. It can be hard to even imagine a toddler or preschooler yoga or sign language class if you’ve never attended one.
That’s why we offer a No Risk Refund Policy – Register and come (or log-in) to the first class. If you notify us in writing within 24 hours of class that you will not be able to continue the session, you will pay only $20 ($15 if online) for the class you attended. (See refund policies for more information.)
Our registration system automatically creates waitlists for any fully enrolled camp or class. To get on the waitlist, you complete the registration process but do not submit payment.
Summer 2021: As of March 20, we still don’t know how many camp groups or exactly what size groups we will run this summer. We opened enrollment with 10 students and 1 group each week. If we expand that in April, we will start with waitlisted campers.
If a camp fills way in advance, we will consider expanding staffing to accommodate waitlisted families.
If a spot opens up, we will contact you about submitting payment or for confirmation before we charge the payment method in your profile.
It is impossible to predict waitlist movement: Some camps we have several families change plans, sometimes at the very last minute. Sometimes when a spot opens, the first waitlisted family takes it. Other times, we call through the whole list and everyone has made other plans. So while we always recommend getting on the waitlist if you want to be called, we generally cannot make likelihood predictions.
Speed things upon confirmation up by saving a payment card to your account profile. We use NMI which is a secure, PCI compliant merchant processing gateway to store payment information.
Please Do Not Pay for Waitlisted Enrollment
You should not be asked to choose a payment method when you submit a waitlist-only order and your receipt will reflect “(pay later)” status.
Important: Do not include a waitlist registration on the same order as a regular camp enrollment! The registration system will charge you in full for both camps even though your waitlist registration does not represent an enrollment.
Tech support is working on fixing this problem. In the mean time, please do separate orders: one order for any camp with a waitlist and a separate order for any camp
Occasionally we offer pop up classes for families to try out a single class with no commitment. Those tend to happen at the end of a term, but Baby Yoga & Play is scheduled for semi-monthly weekend pop up classes and Family Yoga (ages 4+) is sometimes offered in that format!
Upcoming Pop Up Classes
[ai1ec tag_name=”pop-up” view=”stream”]
Get on our newsletter list to be notified when pop ups are scheduled.
Breathing Space has had a chronic problem of last minute additions to camp aftercare. While accommodating one or two campers isn’t usually a problem, sometimes we get half a dozen last minute additions in the week before a camp and sometimes several on the morning of camp.
We get that life is sometimes unpredictable and last minute changes happen and want to help, but we suspect a fair amount of the last minute additions are caused by parents not being sure of their after camp plan when they sign up and then forgetting to do anything about it until days before or even the day of camp.
Last minute additions to aftercare sometimes leave us or the Labyrinth education director scrambling to add staff to aftercare or push us over our desired camper to staff ratios.
Aftercare costs $16 per day until two weeks before camp. After that, it’s $20 per day.
Breathing Space is happy to offer gift certificates, but does not have an automated system for redeeming them. Gift certificate purchases must be done in advance and cannot be redeemed in person at class.
Step 1: Create your account in our registration system. Please add any relevant family members.
Details about our classes can be found at breathingspacedc.com
Any “register” link will take you to our class registration system.
Step 2: Contact us to apply your certificate value.
Simply send an email indicating the certificate number and your name and email to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you include class or camp registration instructions in the email, we will set everything up and send you a confirmation. If not, we’ll send you a notice when your credit has been applied and you can
Step 3: Register online
Please contact us if you have questions.
Please note that we process credits as quickly as possible, but it may take a few days to complete your request.