Personalized Lactation Support
At Your Home or The Breastfeeding Center
Direct Pay Clients
Jen is not in network with any insurance companies but can provide a receipt appropriate for requesting reimbursement. If you are comfortable paying out of pocket initially, the pricing and policies below apply to you. All Breathing Space appointments are at your home or virtual. Email Jen with some suggested times to set up an appointment.
Jen also consults for the Breastfeeding Center of Greater Washington, which is in network with many insurance companies. BCGW appointments may be at your home or at the center on K St. Appointments through them are subject to BCGW pricing and polcies. Be sure to read those before booking.
Frequently Asked Questions
Individual Support Visits
Lactation Consultation (Self Pay, First Visit) – $180
In this 60-90-minute visit by our IBCLC will work with you to assess breastfeeding challenges, answer questions, and develop a care plan.
- 2 weeks of virtual support for follow up questions
- Baby weight check
- Insurance-friendly receipt to submit for reimbursement, subject to your plan rules.
- Travel fee may apply outside of our home service area*
- Follow up visits may be booked for $150
Weaning/Toddler Visit (babies older than 6 months) – $120
In this 45-60 minute visit, our IBCLC will discuss breastfeeding the older baby, troubleshoot challenges, and discuss strategies for continuing to nurse or weaning. Includes 2 weeks of virtual support for follow up questions
Phone/Video Consult – $60
Current clients needing to discuss issues beyond the scope of our 2-week virtual support may choose to do a follow up phone or video consult.
- 25-30 minute phone or secure video consultation for current clients only
If we establish within the first 5 minutes of a phone call that the issue merits a follow up visit instead, you will not be charged for the call. Phone consults are typically not reimbursable by insurance.
All times are approximate. We will not rush; no charges for going over estimated time.
Support packages consist of multiple services and make a great shower gift for an expecting couple:
Prenatal/Postnatal Lactation Support Package – $350
This support package is due date dependent and requires pre-authorization to confirm general availability around your expected due date. The package is both prenatal education and postnatal support to ensure you are prepared and help breastfeeding get off to the best possible start. Includes:
- Our Beyond the Bump Preparing to Breastfeed class or home study plus a 30 minute prenatal consult to answer questions,
- 2 Breastfeeding Support Home Visits, with the first ideally scheduled 4-6 days after baby’s birth,
- Virtual support for three weeks following baby’s birth, including video chat if needed.
Homebirth Support Package – $350
This support package is due date dependent and requires pre-authorization. Families who have an out-of-hospital birth benefit from the same kind of dedicated early lactation support and intervention that a hospital lactation team provides for hospital births.
- We will do an initial home visit, ideally with in 36 hours of your baby’s birth, to answer questions, work on positioning, and hopefully head off potential problems.
- Two follow up visits as needed or within one week to really make sure breastfeeding gets off to an optimal start and when baby is 4-6 weeks old discuss breastfeeding beyond the newborn period.
- Virtual support for three weeks following baby’s birth – includes text, email, and brief phone support.
- Discount of 10% off additional phone/video and follow up consults for baby’s first 6 months.
- Optional, but strongly recommended add-on: Preparing to Breastfeed ($50 per couple) or Preparing for Baby ($160) group class – 20% off regular class prices
Does not include any applicable travel fees outside our home service area.
Additional Benefits for Lactation Support Clients
All our lactation services clients are eligible for a 15% discount on any Beyond the Bump classes. This applies to self pay clients only.
Our lactation consultant or instructors can customize many of our classes as an individual in-home lessons. The following are most popular:
- Preparing to Breastfeed – $120
with Jen Mueller (IBCLC) or Ariel Rubin (postpartum doula and CLC) – 1 hour
- Baby Care Basics – $120
with Jen Mueller (IBCLC), Ariel Rubin (postpartum doula and CLC), or Katie Baxter (birth/postpartum doula) – 1 hour
- Birth Partners: Comfort Measures for Labor & Delivery – $250
with Katie Baxter (birth doula) – 2-3 hours
Classes may be reimbursable by insurance and an insurance-friendly superbill will be provided upon request. Private classes with IBCLCs may fall under your lactation support benefits. Doulas cannot bill insurance for lactation benefits but would be classified as childbirth/prenatal education, so check with your insurance company for benefit details.