Beyond the Bump – Preparing to Breastfeed
In this class, parents will learn what to expect during the first days and weeks after birth, how to help get breastfeeding off to a good start, as well as what to do if things do not go as planned.
We’ll answer the critical questions parents have in the early days, including:
- How much milk does your newborn actually need and how do you know if he is getting it?
- How often should your baby nurse and for how long?
- What is engorgement and what do you do if it happens?
- How do you know your milk has “come in”? What do you do if you aren’t sure if it has?
- Are the considerations (tips) different if you have a c-section birth? An early baby? A really large baby?
- What can your partner do to help?
We’ll cover the basic anatomy and physiology involved in breast milk production and breastfeeding and also the basic information for choosing and then using a breast pump. Class will discuss what preparation and supplies are helpful.
Preparing to Breastfeed is part of our Beyond the Bump – Preparing for Baby parent education workshop series. This workshop series covers wellness and parenting topics for new families: breastfeeding, baby care, normal infant sleep, postnatal recovery, planning for new parenthood and more. Learn more.