Massage is a great way to connect to your baby. Studies have shown infant massage can help babies sleep better, gain weight, reduce fussiness, improve health and relax. Parents who massage their babies often experience increased closeness to and understanding of their infants, reduced stress and post-natal depression, and simply enjoy a wonderful experience with their child.
Learn to Massage Your Baby
Classes at Breathing Space teach parents massage techniques in a progressive sequence over several weeks – focusing on different parts of the body each week, which provides opportunity to practice strokes at home between lessons.
The curriculum is progressive, so drop-ins are not allowed. We offer classes on various days and times to accommodate different family schedules.
Besides teaching the time-tested massage techniques, valuable parenting tips will be shared and topics on child development will be covered. Our instructors are experienced parents and early childhood educators. Class discussions are also designed to enable parents to learn from each other.
The ideal time to start this class is when your baby is 2-6 months old, but younger and older babies are welcome. The emphasis in class is on following baby’s cues and learning the techniques to incorporate into your home routine. Upon learning the massage skill, infant massage can be done on children all the way to adolescent. As the child grows, techniques and strokes are changed accordingly to accommodate for change in size.
Instructor will provides handouts for home practice and review material in subsequent classes. Class sizes are kept small to ensure lots of personal attention.
Bring your baby and your partner, if available. This is a great class for fathers! Pack a towel or baby blanket you do not mind getting oil on, and a change of diapers and clothes.
Please note: Fussing and crying is expected; Your baby’s voice is welcome. Please join us.
Infant Massage Public Classes
Our classes are offered in a several-week series, following the Infant Massage USA curriculum. The multi-class format allows parents to practice strokes multiple times, ask questions that come up during their home massage times, and enjoy the camaraderie of other parents.
- Sun June 16-30 • 11:30 am @ Hill Center (Eastern Market)
- Wed July 10-24 • 5 pm @ Christ Church (Eastern Market)
- Tue Aug 11-27 • 5 pm @ Christ Church (Eastern Market)
- Wed Sept 25-Oct 9 • 12 noon @ Shenanigans Art Space (Union Station)
- Sun Oct 6-27 (no class Oct 13) • 11:30 am @ Hill Center (Eastern Market)
- Tue Nov 12-26 • 10:30 am @ St. Marks Church (LOC)
- Series registration required; no drop-ins.
- If students must miss a class, they are welcome to attend that same class in a subsequent series.
- While, any of baby’s favorite grownups are welcome in this class – mom, dad, grandparent, nanny . . . the same adult should attend all classes.
- Graduates of previous massage classes are welcome to attend anytime as review.
Infant Massage Private Instruction
But a public class won’t suit all families, either for scheduling or other reasons. Private instruction is typically a more concentrated format of only 1 or 2 sessions. Pricing and policies are the same as our private yoga instruction. Private instruction can be at our location or yours, with your family only or shared between multiple families. Complete the form to get started.