Infant Massage – Loving Touch Techniques for Parents & Babies
Massage is a great way to connect to your baby. Studies have shown infant massage can help babies sleep better, gain weight, reduce fussiness, improve health and relax.
Massage has been show to support physical and sensory development infants.Parents who massage their babies often experience increased closeness to and understanding of their infants, reduced stress and post-natal depression, and simply enjoy a wonderful experience with their child.
Breathing Space offers live group classes OR self-paced online course options.
Infant Massage Classes – Live, Group Instruction
Classes through Breathing Space teach parents massage techniques in a progressive sequence over several weeks – focusing on different parts of the body each week, which provides opportunity to practice strokes at home between lessons. The curriculum is progressive, so drop-ins are not allowed.
Besides teaching the time-tested massage techniques, valuable parenting tips will be shared and topics on child development will be covered. Our instructors are experienced parents and early childhood educators. Class discussions are also designed to enable parents to learn from each other.
Please note: Fussing and crying is expected; Your baby’s voice is welcome. Please join us.
The ideal time to start this class is when your baby is 2-6 months old, but younger and older babies are welcome. The emphasis in class is on following baby’s cues and learning the techniques to incorporate into your home routine. Upon learning the massage skill, infant massage can be done on children all the way to adolescent. As the child grows, techniques and strokes are changed accordingly to accommodate for change in size.
Bring your baby and your partner, if available. This is a great class for fathers! Pack a towel or baby blanket you do not mind getting oil on, and a change of diapers and clothes. Class sizes are kept small to ensure lots of personal attention.
Self-Paced Online Infant Massage Course
Our unique baby massage course format combines self-paced recorded lessons and individual live instruction. Start anytime and schedule your personal lesson when you are ready.
Frequently Asked Questions About Infant Massage
- Infant Massage classes involve a full-body massage with oil for baby. We provide sunflower or safflower oil and a bottle for you to use at home. Please contact us if you have allergy concerns and need an alternative oil.
- Please bring a baby blanket or towel to cover our mats/blankets and a small toy to use during class.
- Expect your baby to be a baby and know that their voice is welcome. Crying, eating, diaper changes, and sleeping is all perfectly fine during class.
- Please bring only water or milk/formula in closed top containers into the yoga classroom. Feeding your baby – breast or bottle – is always welcome.
- Please wear comfortable clothes that will allow you to sit on the floor and move around easily (jeans are typically not ideal).
In some cultures, parents have been massaging their babies for millennia. In modern western cultures, researchers have confirmed many of the developmental benefits of the infant massage tradition - from improved growth and sleep to social emotional development or...
Babies thrive on loving touch. Parents and caregivers have known the importance of skin-to-skin contact for millenia, but it's only been in recent times that science has begun studying and trying to quantify the amazing power of massage and other touch techniques:...