Update: May 18, 2020
Dear camper parents,
We have been researching public health guidance for daycares, PreK programs, or camps by DC, Maryland, and Virginia as well as the published reopening timelines by Maryland and Virginia. Unfortunately, no matter how we look at it, we are not seeing a way that we can provide a safe, enjoyable, full day program for your children while meeting hygiene and social distancing recommendations without expanding to multiple venues and more staffing, which we don’t even know is possible, and significantly raising prices.
We are all still waiting on DC to announce summer and fall plans, but even without that, I think it’s time to admit that yoga camp, as we understand it, cannot happen this year.
At this time, we are cancelling in-person summer camp. We will try to process all refunds by June 1, so please let us know as soon as you can if you would like to transfer to any of our virtual offerings.
We are beyond sorry to disappoint your campers and will miss seeing them in person this summer. We decided not to wait for DCPS any longer because we want you to at least have some time to make alternative arrangements.
If we are able to offer any kind of in-person programming this summer, we’ll reach out to our former campers first. Please feel free to let us know what kind of programming might interest you – part-day, full-day, outside-only . . .
So sorry not to be hanging out with your campers this summer,
– Jen, Jessica, and the rest of the Breathing Space team
4/29/2020 – virtual camp info is still valid
Dear yoga camp parents,
Hope you are well and doing ok. Breathing Space is staying abreast of the public health recommendations and developing contingency plans for summer camp.
We want to fill you in and ask you to please review and think through the options we are presenting. We need to let staff know what kind of work we can offer them this summer and getting even a rough head count on what folks will want to do in various situations will really help us in this challenging time. So here’s what you need to know:
1) We’ve updated our summer camp refund policies in light of the current situation. Important changes include transfer-to-virtual-options (which includes a partial refund) as well as a grace period for full refunds until May 15. We are trying to provide some additional flexibility, while enabling us to plan for staffing.
2) We will run virtual summer camp starting June 1.
Full day virtual camp will be for K-4th grade or 4th-8th grade. Programming will happen between 9 am-4 pm, but not all of that will be online time. Virtual camp will incorporate live, interactive yoga classes and activities with your favorite Breathing Space teachers. The younger group will do a live arts and crafts class class while middle schoolers participate in group puzzle solving and escape-room adventures from Brain Chase. Both groups will do age-appropriate offline projects with guidance from our staff, and even simply fun, social time with other campers.
Part-day Summer Yoga & Art Camp will offer classes for rising K-4th grade and will meet for 2.5 hrs in either morning or afternoon (your choice) for yoga classes and mindful art.
Honestly, if we can’t play with your kids in person, we are really looking forward to this and hope it will be a useful offering for many of you.
3) All enrolled camper parents are asked to complete our refund/transfer preferences form by May 31, but filling it out right away would REALLY help us plan, so please do. If DCPS or the city announces something that changes everything, simply fill it out again. Please answer to the best of your knowledge right now.
Thanks for your time and attention. Take care.
– Jen and the Breathing Space team