Breathing Space Family Yoga classes are structured so both parents and children can enjoy themselves while moving in a supportive, non-competitive environment. While many of the poses will look familiar to adult yogis, a kids class flows very differently than an adult yoga class.
What is a Family Yoga Class Like?
- We incorporate lots of songs and games.
- There’s lots of emphasis on social interaction.
- We use many props never found in an adult class: hula hoops, balloons, scarfs, crayons, and more.
- Many classes incorporate story telling or books.
Class themes vary according to student interests and instructor creativity. Possibilities include the following themes:
- philosophical – kindness, honesty, courage, respect, discipline, generosity;
- natural – change of seasons, growth & change, elements: water, earth, wind fire;
- life events and places – holidays, travel, a visit to the zoo, jungle safari, desert adventure.
Family classes are structured very much like an age-appropriate kids class with more emphasis on partner poses and connections between parent and child. Looking for a class your child can take solo? Check out kids and teen yoga.
Current and Upcoming Sessions
Our kids and family classes run in multi-week sessions, meaning students sign up consecutive weeks of classes. This commitment allows students to learn poses and build skills from week to week and helps create a safe environment for exploration and learning. No drop-ins for children’s (toddler and older) or family classes. Read more.
If students must miss a class, they are welcome to do makeups in any other appropriate class on our schedule. Alternatively, family members are welcome to take a makeup class in any appropriate series. See attendance and makeup policies.
Family Yoga Class Descriptions
Early Childhood Yoga
Early childhood yoga classes are offered in three formats:
- Tot Yoga (crawling-2 years)
- Toddler Yoga (walking through 3 years)
- Little Family Yoga (2-4 years with younger siblings included)
All our early childhood classes are taught family-style. Up to two parents may attend these class with the registered child. Little Family Yoga welcomes walking younger siblings to join the fun, no charge for infants under 1 year. Learn more about early childhood classes.
Family is structured like an age-appropriate kids class with an emphasis on poses and activities for parents and children to do together. Age ranges and sibling policies vary by offering, so read individual registration descriptions for details.
Early Childhood Yoga and Family Yoga classes are registered per child with additional siblings at half price. No charge for up to two parents/caregivers attending.