Yoga for Families & Children
Yoga helps children and adults learn techniques for concentrating, reducing stress, and connecting to their bodies in a loving way while building fitness and having fun.
Breathing Space classes feature a mix age-appropriate yoga poses, breathing exercises, focus and mindfulness techniques, games, songs, stories, and relaxation. Classes for younger children feature fun props and imaginative play, while classes for older children may incorporate journaling or art. Classes often revolve around a philosophical or natural theme and always include some form of quiet relaxation.
- Through yoga, babies, toddlers, and preschoolers explore movement development milestones, gain confidence, support social emotional skills, connect with parents and caregivers, and set the foundation for healthy body attitudes and a fit lifestyle.
- Older children and teens continue to explore postures and mindfulness techniques along with more yoga philosophy and self awareness/regulation techniques on the mat or trapeze.
- Adult classes build strength & fitness, cultivate focus, and help relieve stress through postures, breathwork, and relaxation.
Breathing Space classes are offered in semester-format with registration for 4-12 weeks of class at a time. There are automatic 10% discounts for siblings and registering 30 days before a class series starts. If you missed the start date, registration automatically prorates during checkout. There are no drop-ins to in-person children’s classes. Students may drop in to select adult classes. Finally, see COVID precautions for in-person classes below.
Class Venues and COVID-19 Pubic Health Precautions
Breathing Space is offering classes indoors, outdoors, and over zoom this fall. We encourage students to participate in the way that works best for their family.
We are taking the following steps help mitigate the spread of coronavirus (and other infectious diseases) during indoor classes:
- All participants 5 yrs+ must show proof of COVID-19 vaccination for indoor classes;
- Masks required for students 2 years and older;
- Class sizes are small, so there is room to spread out;
- Studio is well ventilated, with more than the recommended HVAC air-exchange rate, and we run two large air purifiers during classes;
- Students are requested to wash hands upon entry and high-touch surfaces are frequently cleaned;
- Students are expected to follow DC DOH recommendations for quarantine after COVID-19 exposure or travel.
Outdoor classes are will be cancelled/rescheduled for incliment weather. Students must bring their own mats. When approriate distancing can be maintained, masks are optional outside.
Please don't attend class if you or anyone in your family is exhibiting COVID-like symptoms or has recently been exposed to to coronovirus.
See our full Indoor Classes Health & Safety Policies.
We offer full day yoga and mindfulness camps during school days off and summer breaks. See camps.
Weekly Kids & Teen Yoga Classes
Weekly classes are offered in 45 minute-1 hour increments, depending on the age range. Kids and tween or teen classes not listed as family classes are for children only. Family members are kindly asked not to watch class.
“[Yoga] class is without question a highlight of our week...Our daughter was seven months when we started, and she has only grown more and more interested and engaged each week. Jen creates a warm environment for babies to play and learn, consistently introducing new concepts, exercises and experiences that make every session different. She also welcomes both parents to participate, and it has become a wonderful way for us to start our weekend together as a family.”