Yoga for Adults – All Levels, Gentle Core & Restore, Slow Flow, Prenatal, Postnatal, Yoga Trapeze
According to the National Institutes of Health and other researchers, yoga supports stress management, mood and mental health, and quality sleep while building strength and flexibility.
Our adult yoga classes feature:
- Knowledgeable, compassionate teachers,
- Customized, beginner-friendly instruction, and
- A welcoming community.
Classes offered in multi-week series to enable progressive instruction. Commit to a series or drop in when your schedule allows. Classes are appropriate for all levels, unless noted.
Weekly Yoga Classes for Adults
Register for a multi-week Series - $22 per class
Classes are offered in a progressive series that builds on the previous classes. Students make take advantage of our generous makeup policy if they miss a class in the series.
Pay by the Class - $28 per class
Simply drop in as your schedule allows. Advanced reservation required – as far as 30 days and as little as 30 min in advance. No payments are taken on site.
* All classes subject to DC fitness services tax of 6%.
Parents of children’s and family class enrollees are welcome to take adult or prenatal yoga as a makeup class – and vice versa – using the makeup scheduler. Log in to your registration account to reserve.
Register Now for Fall Classes
Classes by Semester
Our classes are offered in multi-week series. Scroll down for drop-in options. See drop-in scheduler below. Workshops and single date classes noted as such. Read our class policies here.
Click on class day-time to reveal session dates - prorated registration is available until the halfway point of the series. Pricing automatically updates.
Discounts automatically apply for reserving more than 3 classes at the same time. Commit to 8 classes to bring the price down to the same as semester registration. If you are no long able to attend your drop-in reservation, you may reschedule it by filling out our Drop-In Reschedule form (one change per individual date reserved).
Our classes run in sessions, like semesters, which vary in length depending on the season. Teaching is progressive, which means instructors build upon poses and skills from week to week, but drop-in students are welcome when appropriate and space is available.
All Levels Yoga
This class emphasizes the essential poses and alignment principles of a Hatha Yoga practice. Class will incorporate postures (asana), breath connection, meditation, and relaxation. Vinyasa sequences (moving through several poses with breath) will challenge strength, balance, and focus while moving between poses deliberately. Class may also incorporate stillness, longer holds, and wall work and exploration of alignment through use of props. Variations will be offered to enable students to customize the practice for their individual needs. Newer and more experienced practitioners welcome.
Gentle Core & Restore
The first half of this practice incorporates postures to balance core and pelvic muscles and gentle vinyasa appropriate for beginners, postpartum, or anyone looking for a slower, more meditative flow practice. The second half of practice incorporated restorative postures, using props to achieve deep relaxation. Variations will be offered to enable students to customize the practice for their individual needs. Newer and more experienced practitioners welcome.
This class is appropriate for parents recovering from childbirth and looking for a supportive class to help build strength and fitness and reduce stress.
Slow Flow Yoga
This gentle vinyasa flow class is perfect for beginners or to restore after a long day. Practice will incorporate postures (asana), breath connection, meditation, and relaxation. Vinyasa sequences (moving through several poses with breath) will challenge strength, balance, and focus while moving between poses deliberately. Class may also incorporate stillness, longer holds, wall work, and exploration of alignment through use of props. Variations will be offered to enable students to customize the practice for their individual needs. Newer and more experienced practitioners welcome.
This class incorporates traditional yoga asana, breathwork, and relaxation but is based around our YogaBody-style yoga trapeze rigs. Yoga Trapeze inversions counteract gravity, creating space and length in the spine though simple, gentle, bodyweight traction. Trapeze work also includes functional pulling and grip strength often missing in a mat-based yoga practice to create a full-body fitness routine. Read more.
In this all-levels yoga class, students will cultivate the flexibility, concentration and strength needed during the transformative time of pregnancy and childbirth. Enjoy the community of other pregnant parents while we practice modified yoga postures, breath work, vocal toning, meditation, and relaxation. No previous yoga experience necessary. Class is for the pregnant parent only unless noted. Read more.
This all-levels yoga class is designed for pregnant and postpartum parents. Students will cultivate the flexibility, concentration and strength needed during the transformative time of childbirth and new parenting. Class will incorporate modified yoga asana with an emphasis on stability, breathwork, focus and relaxation activities, and a connecting to a supportive parenting community. No previous yoga experience necessary. Class is for adults only unless noted.
This class is designed for parents recovering from childbirth and looking for a supportive class to help build strength and fitness and reduce stress. Class will incorporate modified yoga asana with an emphasis on stability, breath work, focus and relaxation activities, and a connecting to a supportive parenting community.
Generally, evening in-person and weekend classes are for the parent-only, unless noted. Weekday classes and any class over Zoom welcomes babies, but they are not the focus.
"I want to thank Breathing Space for the amazing prenatal yoga class on Thursday nights. It was very therapeutic and provided a lot of support during my pregnancy. "
Frequently Asked Questions
- Classes are offered in multi-class sessions requiring registration. No drop-ins permitted in kids and family yoga class series.
- Please register the child participant in all kids and family classes.
- One adult must be present for any class described as family yoga or for children under 4 years old: Family Yoga, Preschooler Yoga, Tot Yoga, etc. Up to two adults are welcome to participate these classes on weekly basis and the same adult need not be present every time.
- In order to create a safe space for the children and because of limited studio space, we request that students not bring observers to class. If grandparents or other special guests wish to see class, please encourage them to participate.
- Occasionally we offer single-date classes, typically for older children or infants, but sometimes as a demo and not associated with a series. Registration in advance is still required for these classes and those not meeting enrollment minimum in the week leading up to class may be cancelled.
Kids and tweens yoga classes not described as family classes are for the children only. Due to limited studio space and to respect the students, family members and friends are asked not to observe these classes. Many of our venues are near cafes and shops.
Course material is cumulative so drop-ins are not allowed. Families that miss a class are welcome to do an appropriate drop-in in another postnatal class as a makeup or attend the same week in a subsequent series.
Baby Yoga & Play classes are offered in 4-8-week series. Full registration required, no drop-ins.
We know it’s hard to get out of the house with a newborn, that naps are sometimes unpredictable, and life can be complicated . . . and that’s why we require series registration for this class.
Committing to the whole series makes it infinitely more likely that you actually attend. It far too easy to say “oh, I’ll go next week” if you are planning on dropping in. If you end up with an unavoidable conflict, illness, or disrupted nap-time, you can take advantage of our generous makeup policy.
Flexibility in Baby Yoga & Play
Because it’s hard to convince babies to be born and maternity leaves to be set on our schedule, we offer lots of flexibility:
- Generous Makeup Options – If students must miss a class, they are welcome to
- attend any other family yoga class as a makeup within the same timeframe, or
- bring a friend to class as a makeup.
See makeup class FAQs for details.
- Any of baby’s favorite grownups are welcome in this class – mom, dad, grandparent, nanny . . . and the same adult need not attend each time. Registration is for one adult-baby on a weekly basis, but occasional visitors are welcome to attend as well.
- Late or Partial Registration: If there is room in the class once the series begins, late registration will remain open for the first 1/3 of the series. Registration automatically prorates. If you can’t complete a series but can commit to 2/3 of the series in consecutive weeks – say because you are going back to work before our series ends – contact us about partial enrollment.
So what does this mean?
- If a full series conflicts with work or travel, feel free to attend multiple times a week during the weeks you can attend.
- If you are going back to work and baby will be home with a nanny or other caregiver, feel free to have them attend in your stead.
Still not sure if Baby Yoga & Play is right for you? That’s why we have a no-risk registration policy. If you attend your first class and decide it’s not a good fit, we make it easy to drop a class series. Read all of our class policies and FAQs.
See additional policies for:
In Person Mat Classes
- Commit to a series, $22 per class
Adult class semesters vary from 6-12 weeks. Our prenatal/prenatal yoga classes are scheduled in 5-6 week minimesters.
Register for Prenatal Series
Register for Adult or Postnatal Series
Automatic 10% discount when registering 30 days in advance of the session start!
- Pay by the class, $28 per class
Our public prenatal yoga, postnatal, adult yoga, and Yoga Trapeze (adults) classes welcome drop-in students. Simply drop in as your schedule allows. Advanced reservations are appreciated but not required.
- All prices at subject to 6.75% DC fitness tax
Makeup Policies for Adult / Prenatal / Postnatal Yoga
If you miss a class, you may attend any other appropriate class one within a month.
- To schedule another in-person class during the same semester, use our makeup scheduler. Email if you have any questions.
- Parents may makeup missed classes in early childhood or family yoga or send another family member to a kids or adult class. The only class not open to makeups from other types of classes is Yoga Trapeze – only trapeze students may make up in other trapeze classes.
- Most of our classes have a few recorded classes available in the student registration portal for you to use between classes or as a makeup.
Please pay for your drop-in class or registration in advance. Our class venues have limited point-of-sale options and instructors do not accept cash. Our registration site is mobile friendly and accepts payments until 30 min before class starts. If you need to reschedule the class you have already registered for, please fill in our Drop-In reschedule Form.
What if baby comes early and I don’t get to use all my prenatal classes? Send us a note when baby is born and we’ll transfer unused class credits to your account so you can apply the value to future registrations.
Our trapeze-based classes for kids, teens, and adults are offered in multi-week series. Drop-ins are welcome in our adult classes only.
All trapeze classes are limited to ages 8 and older because students must be able to follow directions for safety on the rigs. See the title for specific class age requirements. Class is limited to a maximum of ten (10) students.
- Prices for series are based on a $24 per visit rate and vary depending length of the series. For example:
- 6 week series = $144
- 8 week series = $176
Late registration is possible and prorates.
- Family member discount – 10% discount for siblings or additional family members is automatic.
- Newsletter subscribers: early registration discount – Discount codes are circulated in the newsletter for folks who sign up right away when registration opens. Subscribe to be notified.
New students are encouraged to take an Intro to Yoga Trapeze class before joining a session that is underway.
Intro to Yoga Trapeze
Intro to Yoga Trapeze is our orientation class. Students will learn parts of the rig, vocabulary, how to come in and out of positions safely, and the core positions of a Yoga Trapeze practice so they can confidently join an ongoing class.
Find an Intro to Yoga Trapeze class.
Adults: Get started with a drop in OR take an intro class
Intro to Yoga Trapeze is recommended for all new students, even those who have done aerial yoga somewhere else because there are different kinds of rigs. The intro class is an ideal introduction for anyone with any hesitations about going upside down because we can go at the new student’s pace for introducing skills.
However, our adult classes are taught in a way that makes it possible for a new student who is generally comfortable with going upside down to join in a drop-in format. We use the rigs in a variety of poses, including many with our feet on the ground. The trapeze rig is used as just another prop for changing our experience with the poses. Modifications are provided to allow students to work at their own pace on any given day.
For the safety and consideration of your fellow students and the comfort of your child, please do not bring attend when ill or bring sick children to class or camp.
Please stay home or keep your child(ren) out of class if they have been experiencing any of the following in the previous 24 hours:
- an unexplained rash,
- mouth sores (especially in oral-staged children),
- persistent and frequent cough that interferes with your child’s class involvement or poses a risk to others,
- extremely runny nose, or
- any other contagious illness.
Please note that older children too sick to attend school should not be tagging along to yoga class.
We will no longer be requiring or verifying vaccination. This policy is subject to change if conditions warrant or public health regulations change.
As long as community spread remains low, masks are optional in all classes. If transmission rates change, we may reinstitute a mask requirement.
The BSFY Studio is well-ventilated, with more than the recommended HVAC air-exchange rate, and runs two large air purifiers during classes. If you have specific questions about the ventilation in other locations, please reach out.
Students agree to follow DC DOH recommendations for quarantine after COVID-19 exposure or travel.
Most healthy adults may be able to infect others beginning 1 day before symptoms develop and up to 5 to 7 days after becoming sick. Children and some people with weakened immune systems may pass the virus for longer than 7 days. (Source: CDC)
In the case of a flu diagnosis, or suspected, please keep your child home for a full week from becoming symptomatic.
You’re generally contagious with a cold 1-2 days before your symptoms start, and you could be contagious as long as your symptoms are present—in rare cases, up to 2 weeks. (Source: Ceder-Sinai.org)
While you are most contagious in the first 2-4 days of symptoms, resuming daily activities without exposing others depends on both your immune system and your ability to follow hygiene protocols. Most small children have trouble with the latter. If your child has a frequent cough, and is not yet reliable about coughing into their sleeve, or a very runny nose, they are likely to expose others to the lingering virus. Please stay home until the symptoms subside.
As long as COVID-19 community spread rates remain low, masks are optional in all classes. However, a properly fitted face mask can also reduce transmission of other respiratory diseases, including colds.
If a participant ages 2+ is recovering from an illness that is not COVID and is occasionally coughing or sniffling, a mask should be worn. Participants too young to wear a mask or reliably cover their mouths when coughing or sneezing should stay home while they are showing symptoms.
We have a very liberal make-up policy so please take advantage of that if your child (or you) is ill.
Unfortunately, it is not possible to do a makeup from camp. See our camp policies for more details.