Yoga for Adults – All Levels, Gentle Core & Restore, Slow Flow, Prenatal, Postnatal, Yoga Trapeze
According to the National Institutes of Health and other researchers, yoga supports stress management, mood and mental health, and quality sleep while building strength and flexibility.
Our adult yoga classes feature:
- Knowledgeable, compassionate teachers,
- Customized, beginner-friendly instruction, and
- A welcoming community.
Classes offered in multi-week series to enable progressive instruction. Commit to a series or drop in when your schedule allows. Classes are appropriate for all levels, unless noted.
Weekly Yoga Classes for Adults
Register for a multi-week Series - $22 per class
Classes are offered in a progressive series that builds on the previous classes. Students make take advantage of our generous makeup policy if they miss a class in the series.
Pay by the Class - $28 per class
Simply drop in as your schedule allows. Advanced reservation required – as far as 30 days and as little as 30 min in advance. No payments are taken on site.
* All classes subject to DC fitness services tax of 6%.
Parents of children’s and family class enrollees are welcome to take adult or prenatal yoga as a makeup class – and vice versa – using the makeup scheduler. Log in to your registration account to reserve.
Register Now for Fall Classes
Classes by Semester
Our classes are offered in multi-week series. Scroll down for drop-in options. See drop-in scheduler below. Workshops and single date classes noted as such. Read our class policies here.
Click on class day-time to reveal session dates - prorated registration is available until the halfway point of the series. Pricing automatically updates.
Discounts automatically apply for reserving more than 3 classes at the same time. Commit to 8 classes to bring the price down to the same as semester registration. If you are no long able to attend your drop-in reservation, you may reschedule it by filling out our Drop-In Reschedule form (one change per individual date reserved).
Our classes run in sessions, like semesters, which vary in length depending on the season. Teaching is progressive, which means instructors build upon poses and skills from week to week, but drop-in students are welcome when appropriate and space is available.
All Levels Yoga
This class emphasizes the essential poses and alignment principles of a Hatha Yoga practice. Class will incorporate postures (asana), breath connection, meditation, and relaxation. Vinyasa sequences (moving through several poses with breath) will challenge strength, balance, and focus while moving between poses deliberately. Class may also incorporate stillness, longer holds, and wall work and exploration of alignment through use of props. Variations will be offered to enable students to customize the practice for their individual needs. Newer and more experienced practitioners welcome.
Gentle Core & Restore
The first half of this practice incorporates postures to balance core and pelvic muscles and gentle vinyasa appropriate for beginners, postpartum, or anyone looking for a slower, more meditative flow practice. The second half of practice incorporated restorative postures, using props to achieve deep relaxation. Variations will be offered to enable students to customize the practice for their individual needs. Newer and more experienced practitioners welcome.
This class is appropriate for parents recovering from childbirth and looking for a supportive class to help build strength and fitness and reduce stress.
Slow Flow Yoga
This gentle vinyasa flow class is perfect for beginners or to restore after a long day. Practice will incorporate postures (asana), breath connection, meditation, and relaxation. Vinyasa sequences (moving through several poses with breath) will challenge strength, balance, and focus while moving between poses deliberately. Class may also incorporate stillness, longer holds, wall work, and exploration of alignment through use of props. Variations will be offered to enable students to customize the practice for their individual needs. Newer and more experienced practitioners welcome.
This class incorporates traditional yoga asana, breathwork, and relaxation but is based around our YogaBody-style yoga trapeze rigs. Yoga Trapeze inversions counteract gravity, creating space and length in the spine though simple, gentle, bodyweight traction. Trapeze work also includes functional pulling and grip strength often missing in a mat-based yoga practice to create a full-body fitness routine. Read more.
In this all-levels yoga class, students will cultivate the flexibility, concentration and strength needed during the transformative time of pregnancy and childbirth. Enjoy the community of other pregnant parents while we practice modified yoga postures, breath work, vocal toning, meditation, and relaxation. No previous yoga experience necessary. Class is for the pregnant parent only unless noted. Read more.
This all-levels yoga class is designed for pregnant and postpartum parents. Students will cultivate the flexibility, concentration and strength needed during the transformative time of childbirth and new parenting. Class will incorporate modified yoga asana with an emphasis on stability, breathwork, focus and relaxation activities, and a connecting to a supportive parenting community. No previous yoga experience necessary. Class is for adults only unless noted.
This class is designed for parents recovering from childbirth and looking for a supportive class to help build strength and fitness and reduce stress. Class will incorporate modified yoga asana with an emphasis on stability, breath work, focus and relaxation activities, and a connecting to a supportive parenting community.
Generally, evening in-person and weekend classes are for the parent-only, unless noted. Weekday classes and any class over Zoom welcomes babies, but they are not the focus.
"I want to thank Breathing Space for the amazing prenatal yoga class on Thursday nights. It was very therapeutic and provided a lot of support during my pregnancy. "
Frequently Asked Questions
- Classes are offered in multi-class sessions requiring registration. No drop-ins permitted in kids and family yoga class series.
- Please register the child participant in all kids and family classes.
- One adult must be present for any class described as family yoga or for children under 4 years old: Family Yoga, Preschooler Yoga, Tot Yoga, etc. Up to two adults are welcome to participate these classes on weekly basis and the same adult need not be present every time.
- In order to create a safe space for the children and because of limited studio space, we request that students not bring observers to class. If grandparents or other special guests wish to see class, please encourage them to participate.
- Occasionally we offer single-date classes, typically for older children or infants, but sometimes as a demo and not associated with a series. Registration in advance is still required for these classes and those not meeting enrollment minimum in the week leading up to class may be cancelled.
Kids and tweens yoga classes not described as family classes are for the children only. Due to limited studio space and to respect the students, family members and friends are asked not to observe these classes. Many of our venues are near cafes and shops.
Course material is cumulative so drop-ins are not allowed. Families that miss a class are welcome to do an appropriate drop-in in another postnatal class as a makeup or attend the same week in a subsequent series.
A common hesitation to signing up for a weekly class is that parents aren’t sure it will be the right fit for their child. We get that. It can be hard to even imagine a toddler or preschooler yoga class if you’ve never attended one
That’s why we offer a No Risk Refund Policy – Register and come to the first class. If you notify us in writing within 24 hours of class that you will not be able to continue the session, you will pay only for the class you attended plus a $5 admin fee.
Withdrawals requested using the form below will be processed and refunded as follows:
- More Than 7 Days Before Series Start: Refund issued in full minus the $5 processing fee. Fee waived when applying balance to another registration.
- More Than 48 Hours Before Series Start: Refund issued in at the No Risk Refund Policy rate or 80% minus $5 processing fee, whichever is greater.
- Up to 24 hours after the 3rd* class in a series: Refunds will be prorated for the classes that have passed in the session, not the ones you have actually attended, and issued minus a $5 processing fee. Fee waived when applying the balance to a future registration.
*Or halfway point for classes that are shorter than 6 weeks. For a 4 or 5 week series, that means week 2. For a 3 week series, that’s week 1.
- No refunds issued more than 24 hours after the 3rd class meeting or the halfway point class in a series, whichever is shorter. Please note, the reason we require notification within 24 hours of your final class is to make it more likely that we fill that seat with another student before the next class meeting.
The following discounts apply to full series registration of multi-week classes only:
- Siblings in Child-Caregiver Classes – Siblings registering for the same class are eligible for a 50% discount after the first registration. See individual class descriptions for policies about younger and older siblings outside the stated class age range. All siblings older than 1 year must register for class. Read more.
- Siblings/Family Members in Other Classes – Family members automatically receive 10% discounts for multiple registrations. No code required.
- Twins in Baby Yoga & Play – Families pay for only one registration when bringing twins or two non-mobile share partners with one adult. Read more.
No code is required; simply register both children on the same account in the same class.
Nanny Share Discounts
- Nanny Shares in Child-Caregiver Classes – Share partners are eligible for 20% discount but both families must register separately. Read more.
- Twins in Baby Yoga & Play – Share partners are eligible for a 50% discount when bringing twins or two non-mobile share partners with one adult. Nanny share partners must register both children separately. Read more.
Built-In Pricing Discount
- Long series – When series are longer than 10 weeks, we offer a per class discount. Final price is posted. No code required.
Early Registration Discount
- Early registration – Varies. Newsletter subscribers registering more than 30 days before a semester starts may use discount codes provided.
Discount codes do not combine. The registration system automatically applies the largest possible discount.
Staff are unable to retroactively add discounts.
Economic Hardship / Limited Income Discounts
- Limited income discount – We offer a 10 percent discount to non-profit employees, military families, or persons on a limited income if it makes attendance possible. Please contact us for the code.
- Pay What You Can – We don’t want a difficult economic situation to take yoga from your life. If paying full price for class is not possible for you at this time, find out about our pay-what-you-can enrollment option.
Our classes are generally offered in multi-week series with students committing to multiple consecutive classes. There are lots of benefits to committing to a weekly class but we understand that modern life is busy and sometimes unpredictable. If you must miss a class, you have several options to make it up:
- Take another class.
Any family member of the enrolled student may take any other appropriate* weekly class during the same semester, even in advance – this means the same class on an alternate day or something different; Use our makeup scheduler. (See instructions here. Please email if you have any questions.)
Family members should take a class appropriate for them – for example, a younger sibling and parent may attend an early childhood class or a parent may take a mat-based adult class. Exception: Yoga Trapeze classes and infant massage are only open to makeup by students enrolled in that type of class.
- Bring a friend.
If space is available in your mat-based or family yoga class, you may bring a friend as your make-up (instead of option 1). This is not allowed in trapeze yoga. Please confirm space availability with your instructor. Guests will be asked to sign a waiver upon arrival.
- Practice with our video library.
If scheduling a makeup doesn’t work for you, you can view selections from our video library and practice at home. You’ll find recordings in the Parent Portal of our registration site.
- Carry over one credit to your next series registration.
Continuing students may carry one class over into the subsequent session by taking a registration discount on your next series. See below.
Additional Detials by Class Type
Weekly Mat-based Classes (non-trapeze)
Carry-over Makeup – Mat-based
We get that scheduling a makeup class isn’t always possible, so we extend the following courtesy to continuing students: carry the value of one class over into the next semester by taking a registration discount.
Use discount code “seriesmakeup” when registering to take your credit. This only applies to students registering again for a full semester and cannot be used as a drop-in, but it can be used if you are changing class type or even the family member enrolled. Note: If you are registering multiple family members who need to take the makeup credit, each student registration will need to be its own transaction.
No other makeups are allowed after a semester ends.
Space is limited in Yoga Trapeze by the number of rigs, however, we have two ceiling attachments that are not included in our class capacity count, so there is usually space for makeup students in those spots.
Trapeze students or a family member may make up in any other appropriate class during the same semester time frame. There are several ways to reserve your spot in a makeup class:
- Use the makeup scheduler to reserve another Yoga Trapeze class (Note: A family member may only take a trapeze makeup if they themselves are enrolled in or have completed a semester of Yoga Trapeze or a week of camp);
- Use the discount code “trapezemakeup” to drop in to any adult-mat class – all levels, prenatal, etc; or
- Email us to let us know you’d like to attend a family class.
Carry-over Makeup – Trapeze
Continuing students may “carry one class over” into a subsequent session by taking a registration discount on your next series. Use discount code “seriesmakeup” when registering to take your credit. No other makeups are allowed after a semester ends.
Because instruction is progressive and space is limited, only students enrolled in infant massage may makeup in infant massage.
Enrolled students can access an online course reviewing all the material in the live class. Additionally, because the content is always covered in the same order, infant massage students who miss are welcome to make up that same class in a subsequent series – if you miss class #2, attend the next class #2. Just email to let us know.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which class can I take as a makeup?
The only multi-week classes with a makeup restriction are yoga trapeze and infant massage. You must be enrolled in one of those classes to make up in one of them.
Otherwise, take any class appropriate for the family member doing the makeup. You can even send different family members to do the makeup class. Students may make up in any location.
For example, if you miss a baby yoga class and there isn’t another that suits your schedule, you may bring your toddler to Little Family Yoga as a makeup (baby can even tag along). If you and your child miss Little Family Yoga, you and an older child may attend family yoga, you and a younger child may attend Baby Yoga & Play, or you may attend an adult class for yourself. Anytime we have a “Pop-Up” class on the schedule, that can be a makeup.
How do I reserve a makeup class?
Our registration system has makeup reservations. Log in to the system and look for makeups in the drop-down menu under classes (this option only appears for registered students). See instructions here.
Scroll back up for special notes for Yoga Trapeze students.
I really am only able to attend a couple classes, can I drop-in?
Making Up in a Pop-Up Class or Intro to Yoga Trapeze
Occasionally we offer “Pop Up” classes not associated with a series. Advanced reservation is required. Pop-ups with insufficient registration 3 days in advance may be canceled.
Can we do a trial class or drop into a Tot, Preschooler, Family, Kids or Tween Yoga class occasionally?
Nope, sorry. We don’t offer drop-in options for classes for children or trial classes during the regular session.
Children really do need the consistency of a weekly class both for comfort and so they can best learn, and drop-ins can be disruptive to the class routine. Read more. Since it often takes several classes for a child to settle in, dropping in once is not really the best indicator of whether your child will enjoy class.
However, we get that it can be tough to commit to a class when you can’t imagine what happens or how your child will react, so:
- We have a no-risk refund policy. If you register for a class and decide for any reason it’s a bad fit for you, your child, or your schedule, and you decide early in the series, you can drop the class and get a prorated refund. See details.
- We occasionally offer trial/drop-in days, when the teacher will spend a little extra time explaining the class routine and parents get a chance to see a class in action.
We also understand that life is unpredictable and have a generous makeup policy for families that wish to commit to a series but know they will miss a class or two.
Yep. We move a ton.
Generally, if you are enrolling in a class for your child’s age, we are prepared for your child to behave in age-appropriate ways.
For Little Families Yoga (2-4 yrs), we don’t use yoga mats and instead move all over the room. Some of our students are always on the go and that’s really quite alright. Some toddlers seriously need to move in order to pay attention. Those are the students parents assure me do the yoga poses at home, just never in class. Sometimes those students join in briefly whenever their favorite activities come up and then go back to running in circles. It’s all good.
For Kids or Family Yoga (ages 3-6, or 4+), we do use mats and are beginning to learn to be on the mats for much of the class. Class is still super active, we move off mats for all sorts of games, and we don’t expect stillness from young children.
If your child has special needs, it is helpful to check in ahead of time so the instructor can be prepared and think through lessons and activities with your child’s needs in mind. We are happy to have you enroll and decide after the first class or two if it is the right fit. Again though, check in with the instructor. Parents are typically more worried about possible disruptive behavior than our yoga teachers and will work with you on strategies to help your child succeed in class.
Family Yoga & Mindfulness is structured like an age-appropriate kids class – with yoga poses, sequences, mindfulness activities, songs, and games, and an emphasis activities for parents and children to do together. Classes often revolve around philosophical, seasonal, or narrative themes and always include some form of quiet relaxation. No yoga experience required for either parent or child.
Parents should plan to fully participate in family classes. One adult must be present, up to two adults are welcome on weekly basis, and the same adult need not be present every time.
Age ranges and sibling policies vary by offering, so read individual registration descriptions for details. Generally, class is appropriate for siblings 1 year younger than the stated range. Sibling discounts are automatic.
Early Childhood Yoga and Family Yoga classes are registered per child with additional siblings at half price.
Tween Yoga (Ages 9-12) provides a non-competitive environment for older children to explore more complex poses and asana than in classes for younger children as well breathing exercises, movement games, mindfulness activities, and much-needed relaxation techniques.
Students learn techniques for concentrating, reducing stress, and connecting to their bodies in a loving way, while still being playful and fun. Classes often revolve around a philosophical theme and may include discussion, journaling, or mindful art.
Breathing Space does not allow single class drop-ins for children’s or family classes. Why?
Semester Commitment is Best for Both Students and the Program
We’ve written before about the benefits of committing to a weekly yoga class. Children, even more than adults, benefit from the consistency and progressive teaching enabled by full registration.
We understand that may be different from what you are used to with yoga classes. Kids yoga operates in an unusual context. While adult yoga classes are very often drop-in based, you cannot just occasionally show up to any other kind of teacher-directed children’s class. There’s no drop-in ballet, gymnastics, music, art, karate, etc. All of these programs require registration in a series of classes or monthly membership. This creates a stable class and allows lessons to build upon on each other.
Session Commitment Encourages Consistent Attendance
As a parent, there are tons of demands on my time and regularly attending a class requires commitment. Paying ahead of time gives me that sense of obligation to actually go every week. This is true for me with my own classes and it’s doubly true for me to motivate my child out of the house, even for activities she (or we both) adore.
Session Commitment Enhances the Student Experience
As a children’s instructor, I find:
- Drop-in classes are not in the best interest of the child. It often takes 3 or 4 classes for a child, especially a toddler, to feel comfortable with a new place, new people, and a new routine. Children benefit from repetition and structure. Since drop-in students tend to only show up once or twice a semester, they miss out on the full benefits of the experience.
- Drop-ins detract from the experience of the students who have committed to a full session of classes because my attention is drawn to the new student – on everything from taking payment and filling in the parent on policies, facilities, and expectations, to making the new child feel comfortable.
But . . .
There are two major objections that we hear from parents to registering for an entire session:
- That they aren’t sure if class will be right for their child. We get that. It can be hard to even imagine a toddler or preschooler yoga class if you’ve never attended one.
That’s why we offer a No Risk Refund Policy – Not sure if class will be right for you or your child? Register and come to the first class. If you notify us in writing within 24 hours of class that you will not be able to continue the session, you will pay only $20 for the class you attended. (See refund policies for more information.)
- That they have travel or other schedule obligations that prevent full attendance. We understand schedules can be tricky. We intentionally skip holiday weekends and other high-travel times and offer a very generous make-up policy. To make up a missed class:
- Any family member may take any other appropriate class during the same session – this means a similar kids class or parents can take an adult class;
- If there is space in your class, you may bring a friend as your make-up class. Please confirm space availability with your instructor.
- Read our full make-up policy here.