Baby Yoga & Play
This interactive, fun class for newborn to pre-crawling babies and their grownup(s) contains dozens of yoga-inspired movements, postures, songs, rhymes and activities designed to support baby’s development. Each class is filled with calming, nurturing ways to enhance bonding, soothe the inevitable cranky moments, and improve baby’s sleep.
What happens in baby yoga & play?
Having trouble imagining your newborn laying quietly through a yoga class? Our classes are a bit different than some others advertised as baby & me yoga. This is not designed as a parent exercise and instead is a parent-baby enrichment activity involving movement and yoga.
Developmentally Supportive Activities for Baby
Babies participate while on their backs, tummies, or held in loving arms. For grownups, this class is a special opportunity to meet other parents and caregivers, get support, and learn about baby’s emerging personality.
Movement, Mindfulness and Community for Caregivers
Grownups will also get to do a bit of postpartum-appropriate yoga themselves, including strength- and flexibility-building postures, breathing exercises, and relaxation techniques to address common physical complaints and mental/emotional stressors during the new-parent period.
Upcoming Class Series
Class Venues and COVID-19 Pubic Health Precautions
Breathing Space is offering classes indoors, outdoors, and over zoom this fall. We encourage students to participate in the way that works best for their family.
We are taking the following steps help mitigate the spread of coronavirus (and other infectious diseases) during indoor classes:
- All participants 5 yrs+ must show proof of COVID-19 vaccination for indoor classes--no exceptions;
- Masks required for students 2 years and older;
- Class sizes are small, so there is room to spread out;
- Studio is well ventilated, with more than the recommended HVAC air-exchange rate, and we run two large air purifiers during classes;
- Students are requested to wash hands upon entry and high-touch surfaces are frequently cleaned;
- Students are expected to follow DC DOH recommendations for quarantine after COVID-19 exposure or travel.
Outdoor classes are will be cancelled/rescheduled for inclement weather. Students must bring their own mats. When appropriate distancing can be maintained, masks are optional outside.
Please don't attend class if you or anyone in your family is exhibiting COVID-like symptoms or has recently been exposed to to coronovirus.
See our full Indoor Classes Health & Safety Policies.
Baby Yoga Frequently Asked Questions
Our classes are generally offered in multi-week series with students committing to multiple consecutive classes. There are lots of benefits to committing to a weekly class but we understand that modern life is busy and sometimes unpredictable. If you must miss a class, you have several options to make it up:
- Any family member may take any other appropriate weekly class during the same semester, even in advance – this means the same class on an alternate day or something different; Use our makeup scheduler. Email if you have any questions.
- If there is space in your class, you may bring a friend as your make-up class (instead of option 1). Guests need to create an account in our registration system to provide contact information and accept terms and conditions (includes our liability waiver and photo release). This is not allowed in trapeze yoga. Please confirm space availability with your instructor.
- If scheduling a makeup doesn’t work for you, you are also welcome to view selections from our video library and practice at home. You’ll find recordings in the Parent Portal of our registration site.
- Finally, continuing students may carry one class over into a subsequent session by taking a registration discount on your next series. See below.
Additional Makeup Policies by Class Type
Weekly In-Person Class Makeups (non-trapeze)
Continuing students may carry one class over into a subsequent session by taking a registration discount on your next series. Use discount code “seriesmakeup” when registering to take your credit. This works even if you are changing class type.
Note: If you are registering multiple family members who need to take the makeup credit, each student registration will need to be its own transaction.
Prenatal, Postnatal, and Baby Yoga class carry-over exception: Due to constraints of due dates and return-to-work scheduling, we allow students in these classes to take their one class carry-over in person without registering for the next series. That class must be attended within 4 weeks of the original series (or 4 weeks of classes resuming if there is a scheduled break in classes). The makeup scheduler will not work for this, just email to let us know which class you will attend.
Trapeze Yoga In-Person Makeups
Space is limited in trapeze yoga by number of rigs, however, we have two ceiling attachments that are not included in our class capacity count, so there is usually space for makeups in those spots.
Continuing students may carry one class over into a subsequent session by taking a registration discount on your next series. Use discount code “trapseriesmakeup” when registering to take your credit. (If you are switching to a mat-based class in a subsequent semester, use the “seriesmakeup” code instead.)
Infant Massage In-Person Makeups
Because instruction is progressive and space is limited, only students enrolled in infant massage may makeup in infant massage. Because the content is always covered in the same order, infant massage students who miss may make up that same class in a subsequent series – if you miss class #2, attend the next class #2. Just email to let us know.
Which class can I take as a makeup?
Anything class that is appropriate for the family member doing the makeup class. You can even send different adult family members to do the makeup class. Students may make up in any location.
For example, if you miss a baby yoga class and there isn’t another that suits your schedule, you may bring your toddler to Little Family Yoga as a make up (baby can even tag along). If you and your child miss Little Family Yoga, you and an older child may attend family yoga, you and a younger child may attend Baby Yoga & Play, or you may attend an adult class for yourself. Anytime we have a “Pop-Up” class on the schedule, that can be a makeup (pop ups must be reserved in advance).
The only multi-week classes that are restricted from makeups are trapeze classes and infant massage series. You must be enrolled in one of those classes to make up in one of them.
How do I reserve a makeup class?
Our registration system has make up reservations. Log in to the system and look for makeups in the drop down menu under classes (this option only appears for registered students). See instructions here.
I really am only able to attend a couple classes, can I drop-in?
Making Up in a Pop Up ClassOccasionally we offer “Pop Up” classes not associated with a series. Advanced reservation is required. Pop ups with insufficient registration 3 days in advance may be cancelled.
Can we do a trial class or drop into a Tot, Preschooler, Family, Kids or Tween Yoga class occasionally?
Nope, sorry. We don’t offer drop-in options for classes for crawling or older children or trial classes during the regular session.
Children really do need the consistency of a weekly class both for comfort and so they can best learn and drop-ins can be disruptive to the class routine. Read more. Since it often takes several classes for a child to settle in, dropping in once is not really the best indicator of whether your child will enjoy class.
However, we get that it can be tough to commit to a class when you can’t imagine what happens or how your child will react, so:
- We have a no-risk refund policy. If you register for a class and decide for any reason it’s a bad fit for you, your child, or your schedule, and you decide early in the series, you can drop the class and get a prorated refund. See details.
- We occasionally offer trial/drop-in days, when the teacher will spend a little extra time explaining the class routine and parents get a chance to see a class in action.
We also understand that life is unpredictable and have a generous makeup policy for families that wish to commit to a series but know they will miss a class or two.
We have several different parent-child yoga classes on our schedule and people have asked, which one should they should sign up for? To answer that, pick the best description that fits your situation:
If you have one child, pick the appropriate age range:
- newborn to almost crawling babies – Baby Yoga & Play or Infant Massage
- crawling (or almost crawling and at least 7 months old) to 1 years – Tot Yoga
- 12-24 months – Tot Yoga or Toddler Family Yoga or as a younger sibling in Little Family Yoga
- almost 2 to 4 years – Toddler Family Yoga or Little Family Yoga
- 3 yrs – Toddler Family Yoga, Prenatal Yoga or as a younger sibling in Family Yoga
- 4 yrs – Little Family Yoga or Family Yoga
- 5-10 yrs – Family Yoga
If you have a 3 year old or children in multiple age ranges, you have a choice of classes:
Toddler Family Yoga (steady walking – 35 months)
- Very active, playful class with simple movements, yoga poses, and beginning breath and body awareness exercises
- Beginning to incorporate imaginative play and simple storytelling in relation to the yoga poses and activities
- Typically only uses yoga mats as a prop or for relaxation
- Younger siblings welcome (non walking infants free)
Little Family Yoga Yoga (21 months – 4 yrs)
- Very active, playful class with age appropriate yoga poses and beginning breath and body awareness exercises
- Incorporates imaginative play and storytelling in relation to the yoga poses and activities
- Games are very simple, usually consisting of only one or two steps: jumping in and out of circles, following directions …
- Partner poses are very simple
- Typically only uses yoga mats as a prop or for relaxation
- Especially good for young 4 year olds or reserved children likely to stay close to their parent during class
- Appropriate for siblings younger than 2 to participate (may enroll at half price, non walking infants free)
Family Yoga (4-8 or 10 yrs)
- Still active and playful, in fact a bit more athletic as coordination improves,
- More imagination/pretend, more and more involved stories,
- Games become more complicated and start to have rules: move & freeze, musical mats …
- Partner poses with parents begin to be recognizable as yoga poses
- Uses mats for the majority of the class, but children will move around the room for many activities
- Appropriate for younger siblings 2.5 years and older or older siblings 10 and younger to participate (50% sibling discount, strongly recommend second adult participant when sibling is younger than 3)
- May also be appropriate for 3-year olds who’ve taken our classes for several months and would enjoy the challenge of keeping up with the big kids. By permission only.
All classes can accommodate younger or older siblings, so what do you do if both children are not within the same class age range?
You have multiple children to enroll:
- A 3-year-old and a 1-year-old – Little Family Yoga (2-4 yrs) with the younger one enrolled at half price
- A 5/6 year old and a 2.5 year old – Family Yoga (4-8 years) with the younger enrolled at half price
- A 5- and 9-year-old – Family Yoga (4-8 yrs) with the older enrolled at half price.
Sibling discounts are automatic; just sign up both children.
We often here from parents that they are hesitant to enroll if they aren’t sure their child will enjoy a class. We get it. That’s why we have our:
No Risk Refund Policy – Not sure if a kids & family series class will be right for you or your child? Register and come to the first class. If you notify us in writing within 48 hours after the first class that you will not be able to continue the session, we refund all but $2o for that first class.
We are also very flexible about switching classes for students who have nap time shifts during the course of a series. For example, if your child is enrolled in an 11 am class and starts napping at that time, we’ll happily switch her into one of our 9 or 9:30 am classes instead.
Yes, please do. We often have younger siblings in tow for Little Families Yoga classes. They are welcome to nap or be in arms during class. No charge for non-walking siblings, just bring them along.
Learn more about Early Childhood Yoga
Can I send my wife/husband/mother/grandmother/nanny/neighbor to class with my child instead of me sometimes?
Absolutely. Your child is welcome to bring any grownup they want with them to class. Up to 2 caregivers may attend class on a weekly basis. Additional visitors may attend occasionally and are encouraged to participate. Please be considerate of space constraints when bringing guests.
Yep. We move a ton.
Generally, if you are enrolling in a class for your child’s age, we are prepared for your child to behave in age-appropriate ways.
For Little Families Yoga (2-4 yrs), we don’t use yoga mats and instead move all over the room. Some of our students are always on the go and that’s really quite alright. Some toddlers seriously need to move in order to pay attention. Those are the students parents assure me do the yoga poses at home, just never in class. Sometimes those students join in briefly whenever their favorite activities come up and then go back to running in circles. It’s all good.
For Kids or Family Yoga (ages 3-6, or 4+), we do use mats and are beginning to learn to be on the mats for much of the class. Class is still super active, we move off mats for all sorts of games, and we don’t expect stillness from young children.
If your child has special needs, it is helpful to check in ahead of time so the instructor can be prepared and think through lessons and activities with your child’s needs in mind. We are happy to have you enroll and decide after the first class or two if it is the right fit. Again though, check in with the instructor. Parents are typically more worried about possible disruptive behavior than our yoga teachers and will work with you on strategies to help your child succeed in class.
Absolutely. It sometimes takes a few weeks for our more reserved students to get comfortable enough to participate. That’s one of the reasons we offer classes in 6-10 week series rather than drop-in. Toddlers especially need time to get used to a space, a group of people and an instructor.
Even once they are comfortable, some more reserved little ones may be more watchers than doers in class. That doesn’t mean they are not learning and they may be more inclined to practice at home.
We do expect parent participation. The more yoga you do in class the more your child will do.
While parents should expect to move quite a lot, we will be doing yoga appropriate for the child’s age range, so it’s probably not a workout for the grownups as compared to an adult class.
Poses and activities are designed with toddlers/preschoolers in mind. While your instructor will likely be able to make suggestions, we expect adults to take care of their own bodies during class.
It’s rarely a problem. Pregnant moms often skip or modify belly-down poses and anything else that doesn’t feel right and adults with special conditions adjusting accordingly.
The biggest challenge is probably for adults who have significant difficulty getting up and down from the floor. I’ve had mobility-challenged caregivers, usually older nannies or grandparents, do very few of the poses with no problem. My suggestion is to try it and see how it goes.
Do note that several of our class venues are down a flight of stairs (strollers can be left locked outside). Our Saturday and Sunday class venues are handicap accessible.
Yes, one adult can bring more than one child to class. (See below for special nanny share policies)
- Baby Yoga & Play – Yes, you can bring twins. Because so much of this class hands on we charge the same for two babies as one baby if there’s only one caregiver attending. No need to register both babies, simply put them both in your account profile, sign one up, and join us. If you are bringing two adults, you must register both children. Sibling discounts will apply.
- Tot Yoga – Yes, twins, siblings. and nanny-shares are welcome, however all children between crawling-24 months must be registered and all children present must have accounts in the system. No need to register non-mobile younger siblings or share partners. They are welcome to tag along with parent/caregiver, just note them on the registration form (and have their parents create an account for them if they are not attending with a paying sibling). Sibling discounts automatically apply.See below for nanny-share discount.
- Little Family Yoga or Toddler Family Yoga– Again, twins, younger siblings, and nanny-shares are welcome. This is the age range we most often see younger siblings. All children older than 1 year must register for class. No need to register non-mobile younger siblings or share partners. They are welcome to tag along with parent/caregiver, just note them on the registration form (and have their parents create an account for them if they are not attending with a paying sibling). Sibling discounts automatically apply.See below for nanny-share discount.
- Family Yoga – Siblings up to one year younger or older than the target age range are welcome to register for Family Yoga classes. For example, 3-year-olds are welcome in classes with the stated range of 4-8 yrs. If you have any questions about the appropriateness of class for your child, please contact us. Sibling discounts are automatic.
Please contact us with any additional questions or to discuss situations that don’t fit the above scenarios.
Nanny Share Registration
All children must be added to their own parent’s account in our registration system to attend class. Please do not add an unrelated nanny-share child to your profile. Their parents must set up an account and accept our terms & conditions.
If a nanny-share misses a class, the whole share is welcome to make up class on an alternate day or parents of the enrolled students my bring the child to do a makeup on the weekend, with or without their share partner.
Class specific policies:
- Tot, Toddler or Little Family Yoga – Families registering as part of a nanny share (one caregiver bringing multiple unrelated children) are are eligible for a 10% discount with the code NANNYSHARE10. Discounts must be taken during registration and cannot be applied retroactively.
- Baby & Me Yoga – Because so much of this class hands on we charge the same for two babies as one baby if there’s only one caregiver attending. However both families in a Nanny Share registration must create accounts and be reachable in case of emergency, so both families can use the discount code NANNYSHARE50 to take half off registration.
All our early childhood classes are taught family-style. Up to two parents may attend these class with the registered child. Little Family Yoga welcomes walking younger siblings to join the fun, no charge for infants under 1 year. Learn more about early childhood classes.
Early childhood yoga classes are offered in three formats:
Our Tot Yoga (crawling-24 months) and Preschooler or Little Family Yoga (21 months-4 yrs) have a 3 month age overlap on purpose. Personality, more than physical development, should be the deciding factor between the two classes.
Tot Yoga tends to be a quieter class with more repetition from week to week, so suits more reserved toddlers better.
Preschooler / Little Family Yoga tends to be louder and move move more quickly from activity to activity to suit the energy level of 2-4 yr olds. Little Family Yoga requires more verbal direction following, incorporates more imaginative play, and typically involves less physical helping from parents. Very active almost-2 year olds often do well in this class because the social environment challenges them more than that of the younger group. Younger siblings accustomed to the energy and speed of older toddlers and preschoolers tend to enjoy this class as well, even if they are not able to do every pose.
Toddler Family Yoga (walking-4 yrs) is a crossover class which is very much like Little Family Yoga with some adaptations 12-21 month old students.
We offer classes in multi-week series. There are lots of benefits to committing to a weekly class but we understand that life happens. We have a very generous makeup policy. We allow students to make up in nearly any other class on our schedule in the same semester and allow family members to take makeups in the registered student’s place.
This is quite flexible. For example, if you miss a baby yoga class and there isn’t another that suits your schedule, you may bring your toddler to Little Family Yoga as a make up. If you miss Little Family Yoga you may take a prenatal yoga class or come to Baby & Toddler Singing Time (weekly class, not weekend workshop). Parents of children enrolled in a class make take any adult mat class on our schedule as a makeup.
Additionally, anytime we have a “Pop-Up” class on the schedule, that can be a makeup (pop ups must be reserved in advance). You can even send different adult family members to do the makeup class. Students may make up in any location.
Note: Due to space constraints and safety considerations, students may only makeup in a trapeze class if they are registered in another trapeze class.
Finally, we allow continuing students to take a “makeup” by taking a discount on their registration in the subsequent semester. See below.
Makeup Scheduling Online
There is a makeup scheduler in the MainStreetSites registration system. You must be logged into your account for the makeup scheduler to appear and you must be enrolled in a class for makeup spots to be available.
Once you are logged in, simply choose an appropriate makeup from the classes that appear. The student drop-down must match the enrolled student. If you are sending a different student than the original enrollment, just note that in the text field.
Note that toward the end of the semester, there may not be any available makeups in your desired class. We recommend scheduling your makeup as soon as you know you will miss and when you can attend instead. Makeups do not carry over to the next semester.
Yoga Trapeze Makeups
Note: Due to space constraints and safety considerations, students may only makeup in a trapeze class if they are registered in another trapeze class.
Students who miss a trapeze class may make up in any other appropriate class, trapeze or mat-based.
- Use the makeup scheduler to reserve another Yoga Trapeze class or
- Email us to let us know you’d like to attend something else.
Workshop Makeups: Infant Massage, Birth & Baby Series
Many of our workshops are one time events and there is no makeup option if you do not attend. See our workshop enrollment and refund policies for details.
For short series classes such as Infant Massage, students may attend the same class in a subsequent series as a makeup. Those makeups are not in the scheduler. Email us to confirm.
A common hesitation to signing up for a weekly class is that parents aren’t sure it will be the right fit for their child. We get that. It can be hard to even imagine a toddler or preschooler yoga or sign language class if you’ve never attended one.
That’s why we offer a No Risk Refund Policy – Register and come (or log-in) to the first class. If you notify us in writing within 24 hours of class that you will not be able to continue the session, you will pay only for the class you attended plus a $5 admin fee. (See refund policies for more information.)
Occasionally we offer pop up classes for families to try out a single class with no commitment. Those tend to happen at the end of a term, but Baby Yoga & Play is scheduled for semi-monthly weekend pop up classes and Family Yoga (ages 4+) is sometimes offered in that format.
Get on our newsletter list to be notified when pop ups are scheduled.