Baby Yoga & Play
This interactive, fun class for newborn to pre-crawling babies and their grownup(s) contains dozens of yoga-inspired movements, postures, songs, rhymes and activities designed to support baby’s development. Each class is filled with calming, nurturing ways to enhance bonding, soothe the inevitable cranky moments, and improve baby’s sleep.
What happens in baby yoga & play?
Having trouble imagining your newborn laying quietly through a yoga class? Our classes are a bit different than some others advertised as baby & me yoga. This is not designed as a parent exercise and instead is a parent-baby enrichment activity involving movement and yoga.
Developmentally Supportive Activities for Baby
Babies participate while on their backs, tummies, or held in loving arms. For grownups, this class is a special opportunity to meet other parents and caregivers, get support, and learn about baby’s emerging personality.
Movement, Mindfulness and Community for Caregivers
Grownups will also get to do a bit of postpartum-appropriate yoga themselves, including strength- and flexibility-building postures, breathing exercises, and relaxation techniques to address common physical complaints and mental/emotional stressors during the new-parent period.
Upcoming Class Series
Class Venues and COVID-19 Pubic Health Precautions
Breathing Space is offering classes indoors, outdoors, and over zoom this fall. We encourage students to participate in the way that works best for their family.
We are taking the following steps help mitigate the spread of coronavirus (and other infectious diseases) during indoor classes:
- All participants 5 yrs+ must show proof of COVID-19 vaccination for indoor classes--no exceptions;
- Masks required for students 2 years and older;
- Class sizes are small, so there is room to spread out;
- Studio is well ventilated, with more than the recommended HVAC air-exchange rate, and we run two large air purifiers during classes;
- Students are requested to wash hands upon entry and high-touch surfaces are frequently cleaned;
- Students are expected to follow DC DOH recommendations for quarantine after COVID-19 exposure or travel.
Outdoor classes are will be cancelled/rescheduled for inclement weather. Students must bring their own mats. When appropriate distancing can be maintained, masks are optional outside.
Please don't attend class if you or anyone in your family is exhibiting COVID-like symptoms or has recently been exposed to to coronovirus.
See our full Indoor Classes Health & Safety Policies.
Baby Yoga Frequently Asked Questions
Children’s and family yoga (crawling babies to teen) is offered in multi-class series, like semesters, no drop-ins.
- Prices for series are a based on a $20 per visit rate and vary depending length of the series. For example:
- 8 week series = $160
- 10 week series = $200
Up to two (2) caregivers may attend family classes with the registered child. The same adult need not attend every week.
Classes described as kids, preteen or teen yoga or Yoga Trapeze are intended for the child participant only. We kindly request that parents not watch class to give your student the privacy to engage without worrying about you. If you have any concerns about your child’s behavior or class experience, please discuss it with the instructor. We will work with you to ensure your child has the best class possible.
Discounts (apply automatically):
- 50% off for younger siblings attending family or early childhood yoga classes: Preschooler, Little Family, Toddler or Tot Yoga.
- 10% off for siblings/family members attending the same kids, trapeze, or adult yoga class.
- 10% off when registering 30 days before the series starts
Discounts are not cumulative.
Siblings must be enrolled with the exception of non-walking infants or siblings on school-closed days. Sibling discounts are automatic. See our nanny share discount policies.
Should you need to miss a class in your session, we have a very flexible makeup policy.
In Person Mat Classes
- Commit to a series, $20 per class
Adult class semesters vary from 8-12 weeks. Our prenatal/prenatal yoga classes are scheduled in 5-6 week minimesters.
Register for Prenatal Series
Register for Adult or Postnatal Series
Automatic 10% discount when registering 30 days in advance of the session start!
- Pay by the class, $24 per class
Our public prenatal yoga, postnatal, adult yoga, and Yoga Trapeze (adults) classes welcome drop-in students. Simply drop in as your schedule allows. Advanced reservations are appreciated but not required.
- All prices at subject to 6.75% DC fitness tax
Makeup Policies for Adult / Prenatal / Postnatal Yoga
If you miss a class, you may attend any other appropriate class one within a month.
- To schedule another in-person class during the same semester, use our makeup scheduler. Email if you have any questions.
- Parents may makeup missed classes in early childhood or family yoga or send another family member to a kids or adult class. The only class not open to makeups from other types of classes is Yoga Trapeze – only trapeze students may make up in other trapeze classes.
- Most of our classes have a few recorded classes available in the student registration portal for you to use between classes or as a makeup.
Please pay for your drop-in class or registration in advance. Our class venues have limited point-of-sale options and instructors do not accept cash. Our registration site is mobile friendly and accepts payments until 30 min before class starts. In-person students show proof of COVID vaccination. See full policy.
What if baby comes early and I don’t get to use all my prenatal classes? Send us a note when baby is born and we’ll transfer unused class credits to your account so you can apply the value to future registrations.
The following discounts apply to full series registration of multi-week classes only:
- Siblings – Siblings registering for the same class are eligible for a 50% discount after the first registration. See individual class descriptions for policies about younger and older siblings outside the stated class age range. All siblings older than 1 year must register for class.
- Long series – When series are longer than 10 weeks, we offer a per class discount. Final price is posted. No code required.
- Non-profit/fixed income/teachers/military discount – We offer a 10 percent discount to non-profit employees, military families, or persons on a fixed income if it makes attendance possible. Please contact us for the code.
Discounts codes do not combine. The registration system automatically applies the largest possible discount. Staff are unable to retroactively add discounts.
Yes, one adult can bring more than one child to class. (See below for special nanny share policies)
- Baby Yoga & Play – Yes, you can bring twins. Because so much of this class hands on we charge the same for two babies as one baby if there’s only one caregiver attending. No need to register both babies, simply put them both in your account profile, sign one up, and join us. If you are bringing two adults, you must register both children. Sibling discounts will apply.
- Tot Yoga – Yes, twins, siblings. and nanny-shares are welcome, however all children between crawling-24 months must be registered and all children present must have accounts in the system. No need to register non-mobile younger siblings or share partners. They are welcome to tag along with parent/caregiver, just note them on the registration form (and have their parents create an account for them if they are not attending with a paying sibling). Sibling discounts automatically apply.See below for nanny-share discount.
- Little Family Yoga or Toddler Family Yoga– Again, twins, younger siblings, and nanny-shares are welcome. This is the age range we most often see younger siblings. All children older than 1 year must register for class. No need to register non-mobile younger siblings or share partners. They are welcome to tag along with parent/caregiver, just note them on the registration form (and have their parents create an account for them if they are not attending with a paying sibling). Sibling discounts automatically apply.See below for nanny-share discount.
- Family Yoga – Siblings up to one year younger or older than the target age range are welcome to register for Family Yoga classes. For example, 3-year-olds are welcome in classes with the stated range of 4-8 yrs. If you have any questions about the appropriateness of class for your child, please contact us. Sibling discounts are automatic.
Please contact us with any additional questions or to discuss situations that don’t fit the above scenarios.
Nanny Share Registration
All children must be added to their own parent’s account in our registration system to attend class. Please do not add an unrelated nanny-share child to your profile. Their parents must set up an account and accept our terms & conditions.
If a nanny-share misses a class, the whole share is welcome to make up class on an alternate day or parents of the enrolled students my bring the child to do a makeup on the weekend, with or without their share partner.
Class specific policies:
- Tot, Toddler or Little Family Yoga – Families registering as part of a nanny share (one caregiver bringing multiple unrelated children) are are eligible for a 10% discount with the code NANNYSHARE10. Discounts must be taken during registration and cannot be applied retroactively.
- Baby & Me Yoga – Because so much of this class hands on we charge the same for two babies as one baby if there’s only one caregiver attending. However both families in a Nanny Share registration must create accounts and be reachable in case of emergency, so both families can use the discount code NANNYSHARE50 to take half off registration.
Breathing Space has had a chronic problem of last minute additions to camp aftercare. While accommodating one or two campers isn’t usually a problem, sometimes we get half a dozen last minute additions in the week before a camp and sometimes several on the morning of camp.
We get that life is sometimes unpredictable and last minute changes happen and want to help, but we suspect a fair amount of the last minute additions are caused by parents not being sure of their after camp plan when they sign up and then forgetting to do anything about it until days before or even the day of camp.
Last minute additions to aftercare sometimes leave us or the Labyrinth education director scrambling to add staff to aftercare or push us over our desired camper to staff ratios.
Aftercare costs $16 per day until two weeks before camp. After that, it’s $20 per day.
Breathing Space is happy to offer gift certificates, but does not have an automated system for redeeming them. Gift certificate purchases must be done in advance and cannot be redeemed in person at class.
Step 1: Create your account in our registration system. Please add any relevant family members.
Details about our classes can be found at breathingspacedc.com
Any “register” link will take you to our class registration system.
Step 2: Contact us to apply your certificate value.
Simply send an email indicating the certificate number and your name and email to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you include class or camp registration instructions in the email, we will set everything up and send you a confirmation. If not, we’ll send you a notice when your credit has been applied and you can
Step 3: Register online
Please contact us if you have questions.
Please note that we process credits as quickly as possible, but it may take a few days to complete your request.
Our trapeze-based classes for kids, teens, and adults are offered in multi-week series. Drop-ins are welcome in our adult classes only.
All trapeze classes are limited to ages 8 older because students must be able to follow directions for safety on the rigs. See title for specific class age requirements. Class is limited to a maximum of ten (10) students.
- Prices for series are a based on a $22 per visit rate and vary depending length of the series. For example:
- 8 week series = $176
Late registration is possible and prorates. New students are encouraged to take an Intro to Yoga Trapeze class before joining a session that is underway.
Discounts (apply automatically):
- Family member discount – 10% discount for siblings or additional family members is automatic.
- Early registration discount – 10% off when registering more than 30 days before the series starts.
Intro to Yoga Trapeze
Intro to Yoga Trapeze is our orientation class. Students will learn parts of the rig, vocabulary, how to come in and out of positions safely, and the core positions of a Yoga Trapeze practices so they can confidently join an ongoing class.
Find an Intro to Yoga Trapeze class.
Adults: Get started with a drop in OR take an intro class
Intro to Yoga Trapeze is recommended for all new students, even those who have done aerial yoga somewhere else because there are different kinds of rigs. The intro class is an ideal introduction for anyone with any hesitations about going upside down because we can go at the new student’s pace for introducing skills.
However, our adult classes are taught in a way that makes it possible for a new student who is generally comfortable with going upside down to join in a drop-in format. We use the rigs in a variety of poses, including many with our feet on the ground. The trapeze rig is used as just another prop for changing our experience with the poses. Modifications are provided to allow students to work at their own pace on any given day.
For space and safety reasons, students are only allowed to make up in a Yoga Trapeze class if they are enrolled in another yoga trapeze class.
Students who miss a trapeze class may make up in any other appropriate class, trapeze or mat-based.
- Use the makeup scheduler to reserve another Yoga Trapeze class or
- Email us to let us know you’d like to attend something else.
Family members of enrolled students may take a makeup in lieu of the enrolled student. Family members must take a class appropriate for them – for example a younger sibling and parent may attend an early childhood class or a parent may take a mat-based adult class.