Baby Yoga & Play
This interactive, fun class for newborn to pre-crawling babies and their grownup(s) contains dozens of yoga-inspired movements, postures, songs, rhymes and activities designed to support baby’s development. Each class is filled with calming, nurturing ways to enhance bonding, soothe the inevitable cranky moments, and improve baby’s sleep.
What happens in baby yoga & play?
Having trouble imagining your newborn laying quietly through a yoga class? Our classes are a bit different than some others advertised as baby & me yoga. This is not designed as a parent exercise and instead is a parent-baby enrichment activity involving movement and yoga.
Developmentally Supportive Activities for Baby
Babies participate while on their backs, tummies, or held in loving arms. For grownups, this class is a special opportunity to meet other parents and caregivers, get support, and learn about baby’s emerging personality.
Movement, Mindfulness and Community for Caregivers
Grownups will also get to do a bit of postpartum-appropriate yoga themselves, including strength- and flexibility-building postures, breathing exercises, and relaxation techniques to address common physical complaints and mental/emotional stressors during the new-parent period.
Upcoming Class Series
Class Venues and COVID-19 Pubic Health Precautions
Breathing Space is offering classes indoors, outdoors, and over zoom this fall. We encourage students to participate in the way that works best for their family.
We are taking the following steps help mitigate the spread of coronavirus (and other infectious diseases) during indoor classes:
- All participants 5 yrs+ must show proof of COVID-19 vaccination for indoor classes--no exceptions;
- Masks required for students 2 years and older;
- Class sizes are small, so there is room to spread out;
- Studio is well ventilated, with more than the recommended HVAC air-exchange rate, and we run two large air purifiers during classes;
- Students are requested to wash hands upon entry and high-touch surfaces are frequently cleaned;
- Students are expected to follow DC DOH recommendations for quarantine after COVID-19 exposure or travel.
Outdoor classes are will be cancelled/rescheduled for inclement weather. Students must bring their own mats. When appropriate distancing can be maintained, masks are optional outside.
Please don't attend class if you or anyone in your family is exhibiting COVID-like symptoms or has recently been exposed to to coronovirus.
See our full Indoor Classes Health & Safety Policies.
Baby Yoga Frequently Asked Questions
Our classes are generally offered in multi-week series with students committing to multiple consecutive classes. There are lots of benefits to committing to a weekly class but we understand that modern life is busy and sometimes unpredictable. If you must miss a class, you have several options to make it up:
- Any family member may take any other appropriate weekly class during the same semester, even in advance – this means the same class on an alternate day or something different; Use our makeup scheduler. Email if you have any questions.
- If there is space in your class, you may bring a friend as your make-up class (instead of option 1). Guests need to create an account in our registration system to provide contact information and accept terms and conditions (includes our liability waiver and photo release). This is not allowed in trapeze yoga. Please confirm space availability with your instructor.
- If scheduling a makeup doesn’t work for you, you are also welcome to view selections from our video library and practice at home. You’ll find recordings in the Parent Portal of our registration site.
- Finally, continuing students may carry one class over into a subsequent session by taking a registration discount on your next series. See below.
Additional Makeup Policies by Class Type
Weekly In-Person Class Makeups (non-trapeze)
Continuing students may carry one class over into a subsequent session by taking a registration discount on your next series. Use discount code “seriesmakeup” when registering to take your credit. This works even if you are changing class type.
Note: If you are registering multiple family members who need to take the makeup credit, each student registration will need to be its own transaction.
Prenatal, Postnatal, and Baby Yoga class carry-over exception: Due to constraints of due dates and return-to-work scheduling, we allow students in these classes to take their one class carry-over in person without registering for the next series. That class must be attended within 4 weeks of the original series (or 4 weeks of classes resuming if there is a scheduled break in classes). The makeup scheduler will not work for this, just email to let us know which class you will attend.
Trapeze Yoga In-Person Makeups
Space is limited in trapeze yoga by number of rigs, however, we have two ceiling attachments that are not included in our class capacity count, so there is usually space for makeups in those spots.
Continuing students may carry one class over into a subsequent session by taking a registration discount on your next series. Use discount code “trapseriesmakeup” when registering to take your credit. (If you are switching to a mat-based class in a subsequent semester, use the “seriesmakeup” code instead.)
Infant Massage In-Person Makeups
Because instruction is progressive and space is limited, only students enrolled in infant massage may makeup in infant massage. Because the content is always covered in the same order, infant massage students who miss may make up that same class in a subsequent series – if you miss class #2, attend the next class #2. Just email to let us know.
Which class can I take as a makeup?
Anything class that is appropriate for the family member doing the makeup class. You can even send different adult family members to do the makeup class. Students may make up in any location.
For example, if you miss a baby yoga class and there isn’t another that suits your schedule, you may bring your toddler to Little Family Yoga as a make up (baby can even tag along). If you and your child miss Little Family Yoga, you and an older child may attend family yoga, you and a younger child may attend Baby Yoga & Play, or you may attend an adult class for yourself. Anytime we have a “Pop-Up” class on the schedule, that can be a makeup (pop ups must be reserved in advance).
The only multi-week classes that are restricted from makeups are trapeze classes and infant massage series. You must be enrolled in one of those classes to make up in one of them.
How do I reserve a makeup class?
Our registration system has make up reservations. Log in to the system and look for makeups in the drop down menu under classes (this option only appears for registered students). See instructions here.