Breathing Space Family Yoga classes are structured so both parents and children can enjoy themselves while moving in a supportive, non-competitive environment. While many of the poses will look familiar to adult yogis, a kids class flows very differently than an adult yoga class.
What is Family Yoga & Mindfulness Class Like?
- We incorporate lots of songs and games centered around movement and mindfulness.
- There’s lots of emphasis on social interaction.
- We use many props never found in an adult class: hula hoops, balloons, scarfs, crayons, and more.
- Many classes incorporate story telling or books.
Class themes vary according to student interests and instructor creativity. Possibilities include the following themes:
- philosophical – kindness, honesty, courage, respect, discipline, generosity;
- natural – change of seasons, growth & change, elements: water, earth, wind fire;
- life events and places – holidays, travel, a visit to the zoo, jungle safari, desert adventure.
Parents should plan to fully participate in family classes. One adult must be present, up to two adults are welcome on weekly basis, and the same adult need not be present every time. Looking for a class your child can take solo? Check out kids and teen yoga.
Family classes are structured very much like an age-appropriate kids class with more emphasis on partner poses and connections between parent and child.
Current and Upcoming Classes
Most of our kids and family classes run in semesters, meaning students sign up consecutive weeks of classes (Read more). Classes described as Playshops or Pop-ups do not require a multi-week commitment.
- Advanced registration required. No drop-ins to multi-week series.
- If students must miss a class, they are welcome to attend any other appropriate class as a makeup within 4 weeks of the original series, or bring a friend to class as a makeup. See makeup class FAQs for details.
- Late registration may be possible for the first 3 weeks of the semester. Fees automatically prorate.
- Public venue classes are limited to 12 families. Please register early. Classes with insufficient enrollment a week in advance of course start may be cancelled.
- Any of your child’s favorite grownups are welcome in this class – ie. mom, dad, grandparent, nanny. Up to two adults are welcome on weekly basis, and the same adult need not be present every time.
- Typically appropriate for siblings within 1 year of the stated age range. All children must register. Sibling discount is automatic.
Still not sure if Family Yoga is right for you? That’s why we have a no-risk registration policy. If you attend your first class and decide it’s not a good fit, we make it easy to drop a class series. Read all of our class policies and FAQs.<
Early Childhood Yoga
All our early childhood classes are taught family-style. Up to two parents may attend these class with the registered child. Little Family Yoga welcomes walking younger siblings to join the fun, no charge for infants under 1 year. Learn more about early childhood classes.
Early childhood yoga classes are offered in three formats: