In this all-levels yoga class, moms will cultivate the flexibility, concentration and strength needed during the transformative time of pregnancy and childbirth. Enjoy the community of other expecting mothers while we practice modified yoga postures, breath work, vocal toning, meditation, and relaxation. No previous yoga experience necessary.
click on class day-time to reveal session dates - prorated registration is available until the halfway point of the series.
About COVID-19 Precautions
Breathing Space requires proof of vaccination for all in-person classes for participants ages 5+ and masks indoors depending on community spread levels. Required in prenatal for levels of yellow/medium or higher. See our full public health precautions policy.
Weekly Prenatal Yoga Classes
Register for a 4- to 6-week Series - $18 per class
Classes are offered in a progressive series that builds on the previous classes. One class may be carried over into the following series or baby yoga.
Pay by the Class - $24 per class
Simply drop in as your schedule allows. Advanced reservation required – as far as 30 days and as little as 30 min in advance. No payments are taken on site.
* All prenatal classes subject to DC fitness services tax of 6%. Please note that participants of in-person classes must show proof of COVID vaccination and masks are required for participants 2 yrs and older according to DC regulations.
What happens in prenatal yoga?
Yoga practice during pregnancy is designed to help moms build strength and fitness while accessing the inner resources to face the challenges of labor with confidence and calm. A typical prenatal yoga class might involve:
Strength and Fitness Work
Mindfulness & Mental Focus
Relaxation & Rest
"I want to thank Breathing Space for the amazing prenatal yoga class on Thursday nights. It was very therapeutic and provided a lot of support during my pregnancy. "
Prenatal Yoga Frequently Asked Questions
Our classes are generally offered in multi-week series with students committing to multiple consecutive classes. There are lots of benefits to committing to a weekly class but we understand that modern life is busy and sometimes unpredictable. If you must miss a class, you have several options to make it up:
- Any family member may take any other appropriate weekly class during the same semester, even in advance – this means the same class on an alternate day or something different; Use our makeup scheduler. Email if you have any questions.
- If there is space in your class, you may bring a friend as your make-up class (instead of option 1). Guests need to create an account in our registration system to provide contact information and accept terms and conditions (includes our liability waiver and photo release). This is not allowed in trapeze yoga. Please confirm space availability with your instructor.
- If scheduling a makeup doesn’t work for you, you are also welcome to view selections from our video library and practice at home. You’ll find recordings in the Parent Portal of our registration site.
- Finally, continuing students may carry one class over into a subsequent session by taking a registration discount on your next series. See below.
Additional Makeup Policies by Class Type
Weekly In-Person Class Makeups (non-trapeze)
Continuing students may carry one class over into a subsequent session by taking a registration discount on your next series. Use discount code “seriesmakeup” when registering to take your credit. This works even if you are changing class type.
Note: If you are registering multiple family members who need to take the makeup credit, each student registration will need to be its own transaction.
Prenatal, Postnatal, and Baby Yoga class carry-over exception: Due to constraints of due dates and return-to-work scheduling, we allow students in these classes to take their one class carry-over in person without registering for the next series. That class must be attended within 4 weeks of the original series (or 4 weeks of classes resuming if there is a scheduled break in classes). The makeup scheduler will not work for this, just email to let us know which class you will attend.
Trapeze Yoga In-Person Makeups
Space is limited in trapeze yoga by number of rigs, however, we have two ceiling attachments that are not included in our class capacity count, so there is usually space for makeups in those spots.
Continuing students may carry one class over into a subsequent session by taking a registration discount on your next series. Use discount code “trapseriesmakeup” when registering to take your credit. (If you are switching to a mat-based class in a subsequent semester, use the “seriesmakeup” code instead.)
Infant Massage In-Person Makeups
Because instruction is progressive and space is limited, only students enrolled in infant massage may makeup in infant massage. Because the content is always covered in the same order, infant massage students who miss may make up that same class in a subsequent series – if you miss class #2, attend the next class #2. Just email to let us know.
Which class can I take as a makeup?
Anything class that is appropriate for the family member doing the makeup class. You can even send different adult family members to do the makeup class. Students may make up in any location.
For example, if you miss a baby yoga class and there isn’t another that suits your schedule, you may bring your toddler to Little Family Yoga as a make up (baby can even tag along). If you and your child miss Little Family Yoga, you and an older child may attend family yoga, you and a younger child may attend Baby Yoga & Play, or you may attend an adult class for yourself. Anytime we have a “Pop-Up” class on the schedule, that can be a makeup (pop ups must be reserved in advance).
The only multi-week classes that are restricted from makeups are trapeze classes and infant massage series. You must be enrolled in one of those classes to make up in one of them.
How do I reserve a makeup class?
Our registration system has make up reservations. Log in to the system and look for makeups in the drop down menu under classes (this option only appears for registered students). See instructions here.
I really am only able to attend a couple classes, can I drop-in?
Making Up in a Pop Up ClassOccasionally we offer “Pop Up” classes not associated with a series. Advanced reservation is required. Pop ups with insufficient registration 3 days in advance may be cancelled.
We often here from parents that they are hesitant to enroll if they aren’t sure their child will enjoy a class. We get it. That’s why we have our:
No Risk Refund Policy – Not sure if a kids & family series class will be right for you or your child? Register and come to the first class. If you notify us in writing within 48 hours after the first class that you will not be able to continue the session, we refund all but $2o for that first class.
We are also very flexible about switching classes for students who have nap time shifts during the course of a series. For example, if your child is enrolled in an 11 am class and starts napping at that time, we’ll happily switch her into one of our 9 or 9:30 am classes instead.
Can I send my wife/husband/mother/grandmother/nanny/neighbor to class with my child instead of me sometimes?
Absolutely. Your child is welcome to bring any grownup they want with them to class. Up to 2 caregivers may attend class on a weekly basis. Additional visitors may attend occasionally and are encouraged to participate. Please be considerate of space constraints when bringing guests.
Absolutely. It sometimes takes a few weeks for our more reserved students to get comfortable enough to participate. That’s one of the reasons we offer classes in 6-10 week series rather than drop-in. Toddlers especially need time to get used to a space, a group of people and an instructor.
Even once they are comfortable, some more reserved little ones may be more watchers than doers in class. That doesn’t mean they are not learning and they may be more inclined to practice at home.
We do expect parent participation. The more yoga you do in class the more your child will do.
While parents should expect to move quite a lot, we will be doing yoga appropriate for the child’s age range, so it’s probably not a workout for the grownups as compared to an adult class.
Poses and activities are designed with toddlers/preschoolers in mind. While your instructor will likely be able to make suggestions, we expect adults to take care of their own bodies during class.
It’s rarely a problem. Pregnant moms often skip or modify belly-down poses and anything else that doesn’t feel right and adults with special conditions adjusting accordingly.
The biggest challenge is probably for adults who have significant difficulty getting up and down from the floor. I’ve had mobility-challenged caregivers, usually older nannies or grandparents, do very few of the poses with no problem. My suggestion is to try it and see how it goes.
Do note that several of our class venues are down a flight of stairs (strollers can be left locked outside). Our Saturday and Sunday class venues are handicap accessible.
Yes, one adult can bring more than one child to class. (See below for special nanny share policies)
- Baby Yoga & Play – Yes, you can bring twins. Because so much of this class hands on we charge the same for two babies as one baby if there’s only one caregiver attending. No need to register both babies, simply put them both in your account profile, sign one up, and join us. If you are bringing two adults, you must register both children. Sibling discounts will apply.
- Tot Yoga – Yes, twins, siblings. and nanny-shares are welcome, however all children between crawling-24 months must be registered and all children present must have accounts in the system. No need to register non-mobile younger siblings or share partners. They are welcome to tag along with parent/caregiver, just note them on the registration form (and have their parents create an account for them if they are not attending with a paying sibling). Sibling discounts automatically apply.See below for nanny-share discount.
- Little Family Yoga or Toddler Family Yoga– Again, twins, younger siblings, and nanny-shares are welcome. This is the age range we most often see younger siblings. All children older than 1 year must register for class. No need to register non-mobile younger siblings or share partners. They are welcome to tag along with parent/caregiver, just note them on the registration form (and have their parents create an account for them if they are not attending with a paying sibling). Sibling discounts automatically apply.See below for nanny-share discount.
- Family Yoga – Siblings up to one year younger or older than the target age range are welcome to register for Family Yoga classes. For example, 3-year-olds are welcome in classes with the stated range of 4-8 yrs. If you have any questions about the appropriateness of class for your child, please contact us. Sibling discounts are automatic.
Please contact us with any additional questions or to discuss situations that don’t fit the above scenarios.
Nanny Share Registration
All children must be added to their own parent’s account in our registration system to attend class. Please do not add an unrelated nanny-share child to your profile. Their parents must set up an account and accept our terms & conditions.
If a nanny-share misses a class, the whole share is welcome to make up class on an alternate day or parents of the enrolled students my bring the child to do a makeup on the weekend, with or without their share partner.
Class specific policies:
- Tot, Toddler or Little Family Yoga – Families registering as part of a nanny share (one caregiver bringing multiple unrelated children) are are eligible for a 10% discount with the code NANNYSHARE10. Discounts must be taken during registration and cannot be applied retroactively.
- Baby & Me Yoga – Because so much of this class hands on we charge the same for two babies as one baby if there’s only one caregiver attending. However both families in a Nanny Share registration must create accounts and be reachable in case of emergency, so both families can use the discount code NANNYSHARE50 to take half off registration.
We offer classes in multi-week series. There are lots of benefits to committing to a weekly class but we understand that life happens. We have a very generous makeup policy. We allow students to make up in nearly any other class on our schedule in the same semester and allow family members to take makeups in the registered student’s place.
This is quite flexible. For example, if you miss a baby yoga class and there isn’t another that suits your schedule, you may bring your toddler to Little Family Yoga as a make up. If you miss Little Family Yoga you may take a prenatal yoga class or come to Baby & Toddler Singing Time (weekly class, not weekend workshop). Parents of children enrolled in a class make take any adult mat class on our schedule as a makeup.
Additionally, anytime we have a “Pop-Up” class on the schedule, that can be a makeup (pop ups must be reserved in advance). You can even send different adult family members to do the makeup class. Students may make up in any location.
Note: Due to space constraints and safety considerations, students may only makeup in a trapeze class if they are registered in another trapeze class.
Finally, we allow continuing students to take a “makeup” by taking a discount on their registration in the subsequent semester. See below.
Makeup Scheduling Online
There is a makeup scheduler in the MainStreetSites registration system. You must be logged into your account for the makeup scheduler to appear and you must be enrolled in a class for makeup spots to be available.
Once you are logged in, simply choose an appropriate makeup from the classes that appear. The student drop-down must match the enrolled student. If you are sending a different student than the original enrollment, just note that in the text field.
Note that toward the end of the semester, there may not be any available makeups in your desired class. We recommend scheduling your makeup as soon as you know you will miss and when you can attend instead. Makeups do not carry over to the next semester.
Yoga Trapeze Makeups
Note: Due to space constraints and safety considerations, students may only makeup in a trapeze class if they are registered in another trapeze class.
Students who miss a trapeze class may make up in any other appropriate class, trapeze or mat-based.
- Use the makeup scheduler to reserve another Yoga Trapeze class or
- Email us to let us know you’d like to attend something else.
Workshop Makeups: Infant Massage, Birth & Baby Series
Many of our workshops are one time events and there is no makeup option if you do not attend. See our workshop enrollment and refund policies for details.
For short series classes such as Infant Massage, students may attend the same class in a subsequent series as a makeup. Those makeups are not in the scheduler. Email us to confirm.
A common hesitation to signing up for a weekly class is that parents aren’t sure it will be the right fit for their child. We get that. It can be hard to even imagine a toddler or preschooler yoga or sign language class if you’ve never attended one.
That’s why we offer a No Risk Refund Policy – Register and come (or log-in) to the first class. If you notify us in writing within 24 hours of class that you will not be able to continue the session, you will pay only for the class you attended plus a $5 admin fee. (See refund policies for more information.)